The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

27 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

@Mic09 take away private property like the Class War tories are doing with their HS2 project?

isn't HS2 compensating people for their property   , I got the impression this schools plan was an asset grab to redistribute their endowments, investments and properties ?

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The uniform was over a thousand pounds. Each.

I'd suggest that this is an exception, my kids uniforms were never anywhere near that and were pretty much the same price as any other schools uniforms.

In sixth form the uniform was even just Blue "Business attire" i.e. blue clothes that anyone working an office job would typically wear.

19 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

isn't HS2 compensating people for their property   , I got the impression this schools plan was an asset grab to redistribute their endowments, investments and properties ?

...and they will only get a fair price if they have access to a good enough surveyor and the ability to use brinkmanship as they aren't desperate to get it resolved.

You're right that they are different things, but I don't think this is anywhere near close enough to policy to discuss differences yet.

It would be fascinating if they tried to do it as would they only take the assets of schools run by trusts for the benefit of the schools, or would they also take schools run by religious institutions? You could see that causing a bit of uproar.

18 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'd suggest that this is an exception, my kids uniforms were never anywhere near that and were pretty much the same price as any other schools uniforms.

In sixth form the uniform was even just Blue "Business attire" i.e. blue clothes that anyone working an office job would typically wear.

So they make them wear Tory colours

5 hours ago, bickster said:

Labour to abolish Private Schools... when the state education system is such a mess

Well, to be fair, given that Corbz, Seamus and a host of his advsors are ex-public school and also that most of the Tory leadership lot are too, you could see why he'd want to abolish it, as the whole lot of them are grossly incompetent.

Or it might be a guilt thing. 

Priveleged poshos telling the masses what's good for them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, blandy said:

Well, to be fair, given that Corbz, Seamus and a host of his advsors are ex-public school and also that most of the Tory leadership lot are too, you could see why he'd want to abolish it, as the whole lot of them are grossly incompetent.

Or it might be a guilt thing. 

Priveleged poshos telling the masses what's good for them.

'The masses' who attend private school? 🤔

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

don't know to be honest

once I realised its a devolved power anyway so he can't do it without seizing power from others I lost interest in it beyond grabbing some likes

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Well, it's more than 0%. But it can't be reasonably glossed as 'the masses', either in terms of numbers or how typical those 7% are.

Most children have 2 parents that vote, they also have grandparents that vote (and quite often pay or chip in for the fees!). It's heading for significant numbers of voters who will not like the policy. It's certainly in the margins that elections are won and lost by

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

'The masses' who attend private school? 🤔

No, the masses generally. Tory poshos and Labour poshos telling us we've got to have fracking or can't have windfarms, or must have no deal brexit or etc.

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Most children have 2 parents that vote, they also have grandparents that vote (and quite often pay or chip in for the fees!). It's heading for significant numbers of voters who will not like the policy. It's certainly in the margins that elections are won and lost by

Okay. Maybe? Still not 'the masses' though.

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

They qualify as a 'significant minority' for sure and these are generally people who aren't feckless enough to  notvote. So absolutely could sway things at the margin.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

No, the masses generally. Toriy poshos and Labour poshos telling us we've got to have fracking or can't have windfarms, or must have no deal brexit or etc.

I'm a bit unclear what your objection is here. If you dislike having 'poshos' running the place, then leaving private schools alone seems like a bad idea. If your complaint is that people who went to selective or private schools shouldn't become Labour politicians, then all I can say is that everybody has the right to come to their own politics, and nobody chooses the financial situation they are born into. If your complaint is that politicians shouldn't tell people what they can and can't have, well politics is simply the method through which scarce resources are allocated, so that seems like an objective to democratic politics in itself.

I guess I'm a bit lost.

Â