The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

18 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

The labour pledge to get rid of Ofsted feels like a blatant attempt to get the teachers votes ahead of a proposed General Election (much the same as the Tory rhetoric on reinvigorating law and order - another vote seeking load of bunkum!) 

Yes lets scrap an education watchdog that's designed to provide oversight and to hold schools to account. Ofsted is hardly perfectly and I'd imagine could do with some sort of reform but the answer isn't to scrap it. A typically thoughtless Labour pledge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Labour to abolish Private Schools...

Interesting that the first few commentators I’ve heard are coming at this from an angle of ‘you can’t seize people’s private land and property and business, not in Britain in 2019’.

HS2 says hi.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Interesting that the first few commentators I’ve heard are coming at this from an angle of ‘you can’t seize people’s private land and property and business, not in Britain in 2019’.

HS2 says hi.

There’s always the caveat that excludes such things if it suits those in power. 

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Labour to abolish Private Schools... when the state education system is such a mess (yes of course they are going to attempt to fix that)

Nothing short of class war at this stage. Fix the state Education system first, if they don't fix the state education system first this is a massive vote loser, this will just push more middle class Labour voters to the LibDems.

On another level, my MP must be shitting himself, I reckon that policy alone will knock 5K off his majority. Two of the largest Private Schools in Merseyside are in his constituency and many of the local kids go to them. It's a fairly affluent Labour seat. Anyone with a child in either of those Schools systems (they both start at nursery level) isn't going to vote Labour, hell even people who have moved into the area with an eye on sending their future kids to these schools isn't going to vote Labour.

Now if they'd fixed State Education first, that would be a different matter, they'd have an argument, they'd possibly get a lot of people onside but no, just abolish it.

They won't dare take the really brave step of removing church funding of schools though will they, so the indoctination of impressionable minds will continue

Any hope Labour had of winning an election disappeared with this policy. They need middle class voters to get into power, this just alienates huge swathes of them right now. Even on a practical / tactical level its absolutely bonkers

Its not like people are clamouring for it are they? As you say, all the noises are "make state schools better", not "get rid of private schools". Just more daft policy from Labour... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Yes lets scrap an education watchdog that's designed to provide oversight and to hold schools to account. Ofsted is hardly perfectly and I'd imagine could do with some sort of reform but the answer isn't to scrap it. A typically thoughtless Labour pledge.

Well if heard St Jezza right on the Marr show, he was talking about scrapping Ofsted (The governments inspectorate of Schools) and replacing it with Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Schools. You'd just have to wonder where all the qualified people to do the job of the new body would come from...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's like every time Labour get close to having a chance at power they think ..**** we don't actually want to be in government , quick come up with a bonkers plan to sabotage it 

use of terms like "old boys network" shows how out of touch they are with their thinking on private schools .. its approx 600,000 children in private schools , how exactly will state schools take up these extra pupils ?

Edited by tonyh29

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Well if heard St Jezza right on the Marr show, he was talking about scrapping Ofsted (The governments inspectorate of Schools) and replacing it with Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Schools. You'd just have to wonder where all the qualified people to do the job of the new body would come from...

Yep, amounts to a rebranding.

19 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

It's like every time Labour get close to having a chance at power they think ..**** we don't actually want to be in government , quick come up with a bonkers plan to sabotage it 

use of terms like "old boys network" shows how out of touch they are with their thinking on private schools .. its approx 600,000 children in private schools , how exactly will state schools take up these extra pupils ?

I'm interested why you say that is out of touch? Do you just mean in terms of it being an attack? It quite accurately describes it in my experience!

Personally, I’d quite like to hear how he’s going to take the devolved power over education away from the Scots. I imagine that would play brilliantly well with their parliament, Westminster taking powers off them as announced via the media.

Education is devolved.

Incidentally, so is health. This Labour announcement about free prescriptions, we've had those here since 2007 thanks mate.

Just now, Sam-AVFC said:

I'm interested why you say that is out of touch? Do you just mean in terms of it being an attack? It quite accurately describes it in my experience!

Private schools aren't just for the elite   ... you're making the mistake of thinking Eton typifies every private school  , most of the people at my children's schools are from middle class families like myself seeking to give their children a decent education , we don't have any toffs being driven around by chauffeurs just waiting for a top job at Lloyds of London   ...

this policy has been worded to make you think of Cameron , Johnson , Mogg etc and ignite a class war against posh white boys   ..its already backfiring and that's before people start legal challenges as is the current trend

14 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Private schools aren't just for the elite   ... you're making the mistake of thinking Eton typifies every private school  , most of the people at my children's schools are from middle class families like myself seeking to give their children a decent education , we don't have any toffs being driven around by chauffeurs just waiting for a top job at Lloyds of London   ...

this policy has been worded to make you think of Cameron , Johnson , Mogg etc and ignite a class war against posh white boys   ..its already backfiring and that's before people start legal challenges as is the current trend

No I'm not, I went to a private school that was nothing like any of the major 'public' schools. I'm also aware they're not all toffs as I had a mum working nights as a carer and my dad days as a carpenter (as well as having to have a scholarship) to be able to attend.

That doesn't mean the network of contacts isn't by far the most valuable thing you gain from the experience whatever private school you go to. Both in terms of what they can do for you and the benefit you gain from everyone around you believing (some irrationally) they will achieve something.

I am aware these are distinct groups though. I met a guy at uni who went to Stowe and used to use the term 'old boys' when constantly discussing the favours and free leg ups he got.

Edited by Sam-AVFC

Just now, chrisp65 said:

@Mic09 take away private property like the Class War tories are doing with their HS2 project?

Yup, just like that. I honestly think that Tories are much more left when it comes to respect for private property than many tend to think.

What a great world we live in.

Just now, Mic09 said:

That can't be a bad thing in itself?

Not saying it is! If anyone ever asks I'll say this is easily the biggest benefit you gain from a private school, far more so than the difference in teaching. Probably added to by the fact most of my friends' parents came from far less privileged backgrounds and started their own business.

It is definitely something that needs to be addressed in state schools. It's just how you instill the kids with this belief when they may be told at home that they will never amount to anything.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Yep, same here. I sent my daughter to Private School because I wasn't sending her to a religious school or a shit school and round here you have the choice of a religious school or a shit school

Most of the kids at my daughters school were not exactly what you'd call from Upper Class families, quite a few, you'd consider them working class tbh

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Not saying it is! If anyone ever asks I'll say this is easily the biggest benefit you gain from a private school, far more so than the difference in teaching. Probably added to by the fact most of my friends' parents came from far less privileged backgrounds and started their own business.

It is definitely something that needs to be addressed in state schools. It's just how you instill the kids with this belief when they may be told at home that they will never amount to anything.

I never met anyone that went private so that bit always felt like that might be the biggest benefit.

I think private will always perform better because it needs to create a winner atmosphere, parents wouldn't be spending cash out of their pocket unless there are academic results.

Â