Jump to content
Demitri_C

The Chairman Mao resembling, Queen hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

See if it was an aspiration and framed as such, I'd have no problem with what was said. Labour want to put an end to homelessness... Yup no problem, it's a perfectly correct thing to want to do, I'd believe them. But that wasn't what was said and they do this all the time and in this instance its pretty much impossible to do what they say they will. Saying they will end it and end it in the term of one parliament just will not happen, so I find it very hard to believe them. 

The homelessness issue is sort of irrelevant to my point in a way. It's just a particular issue, out of many where Labour claim they will do the impossible and as usual, they don't tell you how they'll do it either.

And I think that is one of the major reasons why Labour will not win a general election in a long time. They really need to change their rhetoric to one of solution, not promises.

Edited by Mic09

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bickster said:

See if it was an aspiration and framed as such, I'd have no problem with what was said. Labour want to put an end to homelessness... Yup no problem, it's a perfectly correct thing to want to do, I'd believe them. But that wasn't what was said and they do this all the time and in this instance its pretty much impossible to do what they say they will. Saying they will end it and end it in the term of one parliament just will not happen, so I find it very hard to believe them. 

The homelessness issue is sort of irrelevant to my point in a way. It's just a particular issue, out of many where Labour claim they will do the impossible and as usual, they don't tell you how they'll do it either.

It’s like they need a ‘normal’ person in the room to filter stuff. Not a disciple and not a PR marketing media guru. Just an average Joe to tell them how to communicate to average folks.

 

On a side issue, I was in Wavertree today, in some spectacular rain. In the spirit of the thread above, why don’t the local council just do it up a bit? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

You do know that the vast majority of council funding comes from central government and that since 2010 local councils, especially the major city councils which as you say traditionally are Labour, have had huge cuts. Birmingham for example has seen its funding slashed by 40%.

Absolutely, no argument there. They are also very wasteful in how they operate. Some of the blame has to fall on them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

You have no idea how disappointing that answer is.

But cheers anyway.

You are welcome. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chrisp65 said:

It’s like they need a ‘normal’ person in the room to filter stuff. Not a disciple and not a PR marketing media guru. Just an average Joe to tell them how to communicate to average folks.

Absolutely, that would help.

 

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

On a side issue, I was in Wavertree today, in some spectacular rain. In the spirit of the thread above, why don’t the local council just do it up a bit? 

Depends where in Shakeabush you were I guess. Its a very odd suburb in that its massive and no-one can actually agree where it starts and ends. I know where I think it starts and ends (and I'm pretty much an expert in the field) but everyone thinks differently.

To be honest the shittier parts of Wavertree are the student ghetto between Smithdown Road and Picton Road. The top end of which has rows of empty houses which are supposedly going to be up for sale for a £1 each but you have to guarantee a certain amount of money for repairs which no bank will currently lend you and the first people to do this will be move into a slum street with no neighbours and problems on either side of your property. They really should demolish them.

Most of Wavertree is OK tbh, there's even a conservation area (Wavertree Garden Suburb). There are much worse places in the city

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, blandy said:

Her personal approach is remain, as you say. That's fine. The problem bit is trying to defend Labour's policy which is still, after all this time, utterly mental. They want to negotiate a Labour "jobs first" Brexit deal, then hold a referendum on it. A Their deal or remain referendum. They would then campaign for.....???? in the referendum. Either their own deal, making them a leave party, or alternatively a remain vote, against their own deal, making them a remain party that offers a referendum to leave - as stupid as Cameron, only more so, because they've seen where that led.

Get off the fence, be one thing or the other. Lead, don't follow the polls and election predictions for Grimsby or Walsall or Islington or Scotland or wherever.

This policy just isn't 'utterly mental'. There was a referendum; leave won. However, lots of people want to remain. Labour plan to negotiate the least damaging leave option and then let people choose if they want to leave, or remain after all. They don't particularly need to 'campaign' for either; their MP's could choose the one they preferred and campaign for it (if they so chose) in good conscience. Free votes are not unheard of in this country; this would be another. 

Your demand that the party 'gets off the fence' is simply a demand that the party deliberately tears itself in two. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Your demand that the party 'gets off the fence' is simply a demand that the party deliberately tears itself in two

You say this like its a bad thing

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bickster said:

Absolutely, that would help.

 

Depends where in Shakeabush you were I guess. Its a very odd suburb in that its massive and no-one can actually agree where it starts and ends. I know where I think it starts and ends (and I'm pretty much an expert in the field) but everyone thinks differently.

To be honest the shittier parts of Wavertree are the student ghetto between Smithdown Road and Picton Road. The top end of which has rows of empty houses which are supposedly going to be up for sale for a £1 each but you have to guarantee a certain amount of money for repairs which no bank will currently lend you and the first people to do this will be move into a slum street with no neighbours and problems on either side of your property. They really should demolish them.

Most of Wavertree is OK tbh, there's even a conservation area (Wavertree Garden Suburb). There are much worse places in the city

Ok I’ve just checked back, Wavertree might have been a mis direction.

Prescot Road / Cheadle Avenue / Stanley / Old Swan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bickster said:

You say this like its a bad thing

Yes, I think years and years of uninterrupted Tory rule - after their decade in power - would be a bad thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, I think years and years of uninterrupted Tory rule - after their decade in power - would be a bad thing. 

Well until the two Labour Parties currently masquerading as one split into the two parties they really are, you need to get used to it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Well until the two Labour Parties currently masquerading as one split into the two parties they really are, you need to get used to it

What is the word 'until' doing here? Labour splitting into two would not help remove the Tories from government. That isn't up for dispute. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Ok I’ve just checked back, Wavertree might have been a mis direction.

Prescot Road / Cheadle Avenue / Stanley / Old Swan

That would be Old Swan. You appear to be describing the industrial bit in the corner of Green Lane and Prescot Road. It's grim but just the other side of that is Newsham Park, a lovely park surrounded by lots of Victorian housing, shame its a shithole, it could be a lovely area but it isn't, its a low rent right light district dump of a place

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

What is the word 'until' doing here? Labour splitting into two would not help remove the Tories from government. That isn't up for dispute. 

Labour continuing as they are will not help remove the Tories. This isn't up for dispute either

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Labour continuing as they are will not help remove the Tories. This isn't up for dispute either

It's certainly more likely to succeed than splitting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HanoiVillan said:

It's certainly more likely to succeed than splitting. 

Depends who won control of the brand I guess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's certainly more likely to succeed than splitting. 

I think it's more likely for people to vote for a party that has ideas that are clear. Party that is fundamentally split does not resonate a clear message, hence is likely to scare away people on the edge. 

People tend to have very strong political opinions, so will more likely submit a vote for a party that reflects these. What message does labour send?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

they haven't been in power for a decade, behind in the polls, Boris is miles in front of Jezza and you don't think they should change. Maybe they will lose in the short term by changing, but by not changing  I can't see them winning for a while.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, colhint said:

they haven't been in power for a decade, behind in the polls, Boris is miles in front of Jezza and you don't think they should change. Maybe they will lose in the short term by changing, but by not changing  I can't see them winning for a while.

I do indeed think they shouldn't hastily arrange a leadership contest that wouldn't be over by October 31st, yes 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...
Â