The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I actually think she's got the right approach.

Her personal approach is remain, as you say. That's fine. The problem bit is trying to defend Labour's policy which is still, after all this time, utterly mental. They want to negotiate a Labour "jobs first" Brexit deal, then hold a referendum on it. A Their deal or remain referendum. They would then campaign for.....???? in the referendum. Either their own deal, making them a leave party, or alternatively a remain vote, against their own deal, making them a remain party that offers a referendum to leave - as stupid as Cameron, only more so, because they've seen where that led.

Get off the fence, be one thing or the other. Lead, don't follow the polls and election predictions for Grimsby or Walsall or Islington or Scotland or wherever.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

It's the epitome of representative democracy.

I think you are giving her a little bit too much credit there,  when she is called out on it her body language say's "Panic and look up and down and around like a caught child in the sweet shop".  Panelists,  audience and presenter openly laugh at her as well which is a bit of a shame.

Until she has to make half the population unhappy it's a working strategy I suppose.  It won't last,  she has to choose one day or is she going full Two- face batman door to door.😃

Image result for 2 face off batman d

As long as hostage negotiator is not her next job we can all go to sleep happy. 

I think she's just glad to be out and about to be honest. 

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D

3 hours ago, Mic09 said:

I am a bit more sceptical of the general population and I think that millions of voters will believe it - it's a nice soundbite.

But the two biggest parliamentary forces are much alike when it comes to outrageous claims like that.  

Rough sleeping on our cities streets fell dramatically under Labour. Homelessness was still a problem, but many of its worst symptoms were eased. Young people in particular were all but abandoned to the streets by Cameron and his chums. Walking the streets of any of our cities at night now, is a chastening experience. Labour and the Tories are not at all alike in their commitment to eradicating such sights.

Ending homelessness is short hand and its an aspiration and its a direction of travel.

It’s a million miles in the opposite direction of Tory policy, which appears to be deliberately callous. if you can’t pay, that’s you lazy arse scrounger problem.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, meregreen said:

Rough sleeping on our cities streets fell dramatically under Labour. Homelessness was still a problem, but many of its worst symptoms were eased. Young people in particular were all but abandoned to the streets by Cameron and his chums. Walking the streets of any of our cities at night now, is a chastening experience. Labour and the Tories are not at all alike in their commitment to eradicating such sights.

That's one way to look at it.

But Labour has an overwhelming majority of metropolitan borough council's, and that's where the problem lies. 

On the other hand, I really think that it's a problem of creating easily accessible jobs to those people so it is a national problem that needs to be looked at on government level. And I don't think Labours current policy is friendly to creating new jobs for those poor people. 

Not that the conservative policy is any better.

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

I thought a big majority of homelessness was down to mental health issues ... increase funding in mental health and you may kill 2 birds with one stone 

My wife is a mental health nurse so I'd strongly agree. 

I think increased funding and care into mental health would solve a lot of issues. 

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I thought a big majority of homelessness was down to mental health issues ... increase funding in mental health and you may kill 2 birds with one stone 

What's first, tough life situation, drugs/alcohol/gambling which ends up in homelessness which leads to poor mental health or poor mental health which ends in homelessness?

Chicken or the egg debate.

I'd be interested to see some stats on this if anyone has any!

Edited by Mic09

Just now, chrisp65 said:

It’s not one way of looking at it, its fact. It’s simply not a point of debate.

Funding for housing, funding for ‘our boys’ when they return from ‘our wars’ funding for mental health, funding, funding, funding. It’s a central government problem that has got demonstrably worse under the Tories.

It’s got **** all to do with how you want to look at it.

No, it is one way to look at it because in my next sentence I said that labour control council's of pretty much all major cities, and that's where the problem is, so labour could fund more shelters and help poor at local level. 

BUT I then admitted that it should be looked at by creating easier job opportunities for those poor people and Tories are not doing that.

There are two sides to this story.

1 minute ago, Mic09 said:

No, it is one way to look at it because in my next sentence I said that labour control council's of pretty much all major cities, and that's where the problem is, so labour could fund more shelters and help poor at local level. 

BUT I then admitted that it should be looked at by creating easier job opportunities for those poor people and Tories are not doing that.

There are two sides to this story.

They could fund it from the magic money tree.

14 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Maybe someone should point this out to the Tories....

The Tories underfund mental health services while boasting about their generosity – no wonder they've lost the public's trust

Indy

2 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

They could. They plan to do that once they win the general election.

Don’t take this the wrong way, it’s a genuine couple of questions. Are you currently in the UK and have you been here long?

29 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Ending homelessness is short hand and its an aspiration and its a direction of travel.

It’s a million miles in the opposite direction of Tory policy, which appears to be deliberately callous. if you can’t pay, that’s you lazy arse scrounger problem.

See if it was an aspiration and framed as such, I'd have no problem with what was said. Labour want to put an end to homelessness... Yup no problem, it's a perfectly correct thing to want to do, I'd believe them. But that wasn't what was said and they do this all the time and in this instance its pretty much impossible to do what they say they will. Saying they will end it and end it in the term of one parliament just will not happen, so I find it very hard to believe them. 

The homelessness issue is sort of irrelevant to my point in a way. It's just a particular issue, out of many where Labour claim they will do the impossible and as usual, they don't tell you how they'll do it either.

• Like 1

Â