The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

8 hours ago, bickster said:

Just as the Tory Party are imploding in full view of the public... the timing couldn't have been better.

Discussions on trigger ballots, at branch and affiliate level will be happening in every CLP. It certainly is in mine, because I'm an affiliate delegate to my CLP through my union, and I've been asked to look after proceedings, from my union's end. This was set in motion way before the nightmare Boris scenario occurred though, but regional Labour bodies are currently instructing CLPs on the time table. It's happening because the membership wants it, and it's democratic. There is still a chance however that if a general election is called in the next couple of weeks, and there's no time for the full process to happen, the NEC will just run with incumbents again, like last time. 

Another one for the stupidly bold claims file

Laudable as the sentiment is, they will never achieve this

We have two city centre shelters for the homeless in Liverpool, one run in conjunction with the council, the other by a charity run by one of the large property owners in the city centre (Hotels they run themselves mainly). Even in the cold of winter they cannot get everyone to stay in the hostels, despite there being room. to claim you will end rough sleeping across the UK in one parliamentary term is absolute nonsense. Liverpool's Labour council have been trying to get rough sleepers off the street for longer than that and they've been funding all manner of issues to that end, they still haven't managed it

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

We have two city centre shelters for the homeless in Liverpool, one run in conjunction with the council, the other by a charity run by one of the large property owners in the city centre (Hotels they run themselves mainly). Even in the cold of winter they cannot get everyone to stay in the hostels, despite there being room. to claim you will end rough sleeping across the UK in one parliamentary term is absolute nonsense. Liverpool's Labour council have been trying to get rough sleepers off the street for longer than that and they've been funding all manner of issues to that end, they still haven't managed it

Can they end poverty and world hunger while they are at it?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'm glad they care about the issue, but you're right that it's complete pie in the sky.

There used to be a couple of elderly people (brother & sister) in my home town who inherited a house, but over a period of a few decades still preferred to live on the street and fill the house with overflowing carrier bags of whatever they could get their hands on.

Edited by Sam-AVFC
  • Like 1

There will always be people sleeping rough because they want to be or they're so antisocial the hostels won't take them in.

I don't think that covers homelessness more than doubling in the 5 years to 2018, and neither do the homeless charities.

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Clearly, it's a silly claim. But at least they'll try, which the Tories never will. 

They might try, but they will fail. They might even open new ministries and departments for fighting homelessness. I'm sure that will help those poor people in the streets. Chuck some money at the problem (it always looks good in the press), the Corbynite labour shall prevail all evil! 

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Clearly, it's a silly claim. But at least they'll try, which the Tories never will. 

Exactly. Homelessness, like so many of societies ills will only be eased if the effort and will is there to start with. Thatchers children, like her, probably think there is no such thing as society anyway.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

They might try, but they will fail. They might even open new ministries and departments for fighting homelessness. I'm sure that will help those poor people in the streets. Chuck some money at the problem (it always looks good in the press), the Corbynite labour shall prevail all evil! 

Are you even aware that homelessness has increased dramatically under the last 10 years of Tory rule.

3 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Are you even aware that homelessness has increased dramatically under the last 10 years of Tory rule.

It has. And I am no more fond of the Tory policy on this subject then I am of the proposed Labour plans.

Edited by Mic09

On 06/09/2019 at 12:55, desensitized43 said:

Emily Thorberry

Possibly the most stupid person in the Brexit mess.  

No self awareness or logic whatsoever.  I watch her and I don't actually think her brain can cope with it anymore,  it's tearing itself apart in there like a lonely dying planet.  40% of her brain wants an election to get some power,  35% wants to remain and 22% is well up to negotiate a withdrawal deal that''s right for Britain with the EU and 15% wants to leave + the input from Steptoe.  She's gonna blow people,  She's F****** mental no matter what side of the argument you are.

image.png.e68c4cc8ba3f503897dcfd309f849cd0.png

6 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Also, why does it have to be one or the other? Who even said anything about Tories?

6 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Exactly. Homelessness, like so many of societies ills will only be eased if the effort and will is there to start with. Thatchers children, like her, probably think there is no such thing as society anyway.

This isn't in dispute. The point is they shouldn't claim they'll do the impossible, people are less likely to believe their more probable claims

I have no issue with Labour attempting to reduce homelessness, I applaud it. But it would take a special kind of person to believe that the Labour Party will eradicate the problem in 5 years. Not one poster here believes they will

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

I have no issue with Labour attempting to reduce homelessness, I applaud it. But it would take a special kind of person to believe that the Labour Party will eradicate the problem in 5 years. Not one poster here believes they will

I am a bit more sceptical of the general population and I think that millions of voters will believe it - it's a nice soundbite.

But the two biggest parliamentary forces are much alike when it comes to outrageous claims like that.  

Â