The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

Another formal complaint about antisemitism being displayed by a Labour MP.

Charedi Shraga Stern objects to ‘second-class Jew’ dismissal

Shraga Stern is a member of London’s Charedi Orthodox Jewish community – and a member and supporter of the Labour party. Last week, Mr Stern was photographed meeting Jeremy Corbyn and Labour MP Dan Carden at Portcullis House in Westminster by Barking MP Margaret Hodge.

Ms Hodge tweeted the image to a Murdoch journalist:

mh-zeff-1.png?w=470&ssl=1

Mr Stern, who told the Jewish Chronicle that the appearance of the image made him feel ‘quite intimidated’, has been the subject of recent claims that he is against the LGBT community because of his activism in the area of sex education. However, he has said that he merely wants Orthodox communities to be able to continue to teach sex education to their children at home, in accordance with their tradition.

But Stern also took exception to Ms Hodge’s description of him as a non-‘mainstream’ Jew – and has made a formal complaint both directly to her and to the Labour Party.

I expect there will be immediate suspension, quickly followed by a baying mob demanding permanent expulsion, and complaints that it's taking too long.  Won't there?

1 hour ago, peterms said:

I expect there will be immediate suspension, quickly followed by a baying mob demanding permanent expulsion, and complaints that it's taking too long.  Won't there?

Can a Jew be Anti-Semitic? 

It's a my Dad's cock dispute between two followers of different brands of the same sky fairy

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Can a Jew be Anti-Semitic? 

It's a my Dad's cock dispute between two followers of different brands of the same sky fairy

They get called self hating Jews instead.

I actually agree that Labour's messaging is pretty confused, but it really seems like the only possible point of calling a VONC that you know you're going to lose is to prevent people like Campbell and Swinson from making cheap political capital. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I actually agree that Labour's messaging is pretty confused, but it really seems like the only possible point of calling a VONC that you know you're going to lose is to prevent people like Campbell and Swinson from making cheap political capital. 

I think that the issue is that they appear to be not even working towards it.

"We're going to do it when it most surprises you."

The timetable is important. It doesn't appear to be important to the Labour leadership, however.

• Like 2

On 25/07/2019 at 23:29, snowychap said:

The timetable is important. It doesn't appear to be important to the Labour leadership, however.

It's almost as if Corbyn doesn't believe in moving and doesn't actually want to, y'know, move from his blinkered and wholly unrealistic fudge ppsition. It's like he doesn't actually want to stop the tories doing a big steaming Brexit.

On 25/07/2019 at 23:29, snowychap said:

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

It's almost as if Corbyn doesn't believe in moving and doesn't actually want to, y'know, move from his blinkered and wholly unrealistic fudge ppsition. It's like he doesn't actually want to stop the tories doing a big steaming Brexit.

'The timetable' is not really in the control of the Labour leadership, is it? They need half a dozen Tories to decide that things have got so bad they will abandon their careers and vote to bring down their own government. That hasn't happened yet, and Corbyn can't will it to be so now just because we think now is when it needs to happen. 

The UK Labour Party is going to go the same way as Australian Labor did at the last election. A party who would logically be the home for the majority of voters, brought undone by an a leader on the nose with the electorate. 

I fear it’s going to take a a Boris Johnson election win to finally convince Labour to change leaders but by then it will be too late to save the UK from Brexit. 

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

The UK Labour Party is going to go the same way as Australian Labor did at the last election. A party who would logically be the home for the majority of voters, brought undone by an a leader on the nose with the electorate. 

I fear it’s going to take a a Boris Johnson election win to finally convince Labour to change leaders but by then it will be too late to save the UK from Brexit. 

Can you be specific on how Labour changing leaders would 'save the UK from Brexit'? 

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Can you be specific on how Labour changing leaders would 'save the UK from Brexit'? 

Because they would then be in a position to win that election instead of Johnson and steer the ship away from the iceberg. 

Lord Mayor of Liverpool resigns after sharing racist video which compared a black person to a monkey in a social media group

Lord Mayor of Liverpool resigns
July 30, 2019
The Lord Mayor of Liverpool has today (July 30) stepped down from his ceremonial role with immediate effect.

Councillor Peter Brennan, a ward member for Old Swan, tendered his resignation to Liverpool City Council following several complaints relating to a video containing offensive material that was sent to a WhatsApp group last night.

The nature of the incident has been referred to the Labour party.

Mayor of Liverpool Joe Anderson, has issued this statement in the wake of the incident:

“This morning, I was shocked and appalled to see a racist video that was circulated by our Lord Mayor Cllr Peter Brennan.  Racist language and behaviour is inexcusable and unforgivable in all its forms.

“The video is completely at odds with my values, the values of Liverpool City Council and all who live and work across the city. The hurt that this will have caused to people across the city, including members of my own family is unacceptable from someone who we have given the honour to act as our first citizen. 

“I have spoken to Cllr Brennan this morning and after that conversation he has agreed to stand down immediately from the office of Lord Mayor. I have also referred the matter to the Labour Party regionally and nationally. His position as a member of the Labour Party will be dealt with in accordance with party rules. 

“The actions I have taken needed to be taken immediately and make clear that anyone, no matter who you are in politics, you will be held to account. 

“This appalling video was circulated 14 years to the day since the promising and talented Merseyside teenager Anthony Walker was brutally murdered in a horrific racist attack.

“Liverpool is an open and inclusive city that welcomes people from all backgrounds and faiths. We celebrate and encourage diversity, we are the world in one city. Just days ago, 12,000 people turned out to show their solidarity with the LGBTQ+ community at Liverpool Pride.

“On behalf of the people of Liverpool I apologise for the offence and hurt caused.”

A replacement for Lord Mayor of Liverpool will be announced shortly.

Liverpool Council Mouthpiece

46 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Because they would then be in a position to win that election instead of Johnson and steer the ship away from the iceberg. 

Three points spring to mind:

1) There is currently no 'that election' and the prime minister swears blind he won't call one. He might be lying, or he might be forced to call one, but this is a purely hypothetical election at this point. 

2) There isn't time for both a Labour leadership contest and a general election campaign before October 31st, so unless we delay leaving again this will be out of the hands of any Labour leader. 

3) Logically, Johnson is significantly *less* likely to call an election if he perceives the leader of the opposition to be strong and credible, not more. 

54 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

3) Logically, Johnson is significantly *less* likely to call an election if he perceives the leader of the opposition to be strong and credible, not more. 

Being as there is currently no majority in the house for no deal, this would be a good thing, no? Strong leader means No Deal less likely

Â