The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

I can't actually find a source for that alleged Kendall quote. Certainly nothing on the news about it and nothing from the other candidates.

I feel sorry for her a bit. Regardless of whether or not you agree with her she's got a lot of unwarranted abuse from members of her own party.

She said it on BBC 1 News yesterday. clicky about ten secs in Its not quite as I said it but the meaning is the same

Theres now a petition on change.org demanding she withdraw the statement.

".... Yes we are for the weak and the vulnerable and the suffering but we are for ordinary people too..."

Seems clear she probably meant average rather than ordinary (i.e. "Most" people wouldn't describe themselves as weak, vulnerable etc) but if this is the all it takes to fire up the internet outrage bus then frankly those people need to get a life.

Pretty. Much I'd say the difference is pretty big because she isn't slating all disabled people as "not ordinary" in the actual video. "Ordinary" is just a word politicians love to use to mean the average voter - the outrage of this seems a bit overdone.

Can't see another split being good for the Labour Party. Neither the Blairites nor the lefties can win on their own.

And Liz Kendal just upset every disabled person in the country #doh!

What did she say?

Something along the lines of, yes we must look after disabled people but we must look after ordinary people too

These people are prize idiots

These are always gratifying moments when the daft Lefty sods who help build the minefield of PC-speak, get hoisted by their own petard.

Can't see another split being good for the Labour Party. Neither the Blairites nor the lefties can win on their own.

What did she say?

Something along the lines of, yes we must look after disabled people but we must look after ordinary people too

These are always gratifying moments when the daft Lefty sods who help build the minefield of PC-speak, get hoisted by their own petard.

Liz Kendall ain't no lefty. 

What did she say?

Compared with Corbyn she might not seem so but her political history seems to suggest otherwise.

She backed Lefty Ed for the last leadership battle and she worked for Harriet Harman when she was thinking up her Equality Act which includes provisions for legalising reverse discrimination to exclude white men from jobs.

So very much a driver of social warrior bullshit at the centre of New Labour's social engineering agenda.

Just because The Sun have backed her doesn't make her a righty.

What did she say?

Compared with Corbyn she might not seem so but her political history seems to suggest otherwise.

She backed Lefty Ed for the last leadership battle and she worked for Harriet Harman when she was thinking up her Equality Act which includes provisions for legalising reverse discrimination to exclude white men from jobs.

So very much a driver of social warrior bullshit at the centre of New Labour's social engineering agenda.

Just because The Sun have backed her doesn't make her a righty.

I can't comment on the circumstances that led to her backing Ed, but I'm not sure social equalities legislation fits neatly onto the left right spectrum. Economically, she's far from a lefty. 

I just listened to LK on her question and answer session on the radio for World at One. 

Sounded competent and reasonable. Sounded like a middle of the road politician.

Said some stuff about wanting things generally to be better for people.

I would defy anyone that only saw a written transcript with the name removed to identify what party she was from, or whether she was left, right, top, bottom or middle.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 1

I just listened to LK on her question and answer session on the radio for World at One. 

I would defy anyone that only saw a written transcript with the name removed to identify what party she was from, or whether she was left, right, top, bottom or middle.

I find that an utterly damning assessment.

• Like 4

Maybe that is what Labour need.

They might take a lesson from Cameron getting into power by disguising himself as a 'one nation' Tory but once there, opened his neo-liberal box of nasty tricks.

So it could be argued that Labour need a similar Trojan horse to get into power and suddenly reveal their agenda when they get there.

It probably couldn't because pious lefties are so intent on preaching the gospel rather than getting things done.

Maybe that is what Labour need.

They might take a lesson from Cameron getting into power by disguising himself as a 'one nation' Tory but once there, opened his neo-liberal box of nasty tricks.

So it could be argued that Labour need a similar Trojan horse to get into power and suddenly reveal their agenda when they get there.

It probably couldn't because pious lefties are so intent on preaching the gospel rather than getting things done.

Damn those lefties with their values and open intentions. 

• Like 3

I'm not sure why you Tories are so smug. Corbyn may not win the election but he'll drag public discourse to the left, and talk about ideas which neoliberalism has organised out of politics. A lot of the assumed political wisdom of the past 25 years might need re-justification too, as there are so many examples of the system failing. 

As we've seen elsewhere in Europe, in the age of austerity, there's an audience for this stuff. 

Or he may just serve to remind the electorate why this kind of politics was rejected during the 80s.

I'm not sure why you Tories are so smug. Corbyn may not win the election but he'll drag public discourse to the left, and talk about ideas which neoliberalism has organised out of politics. A lot of the assumed political wisdom of the past 25 years might need re-justification too, as there are so many examples of the system failing. 

As we've seen elsewhere in Europe, in the age of austerity, there's an audience for this stuff. 

Or he may just serve to remind the electorate why this kind of politics was rejected during the 80s.

He may also serve to remind those that pull the strings in our election that the public are currently rejecting the policies that got us from there to here in huge numbers.

• Like 1

His kind of politics is largely rejected by those unwilling to give up their privileges. Save something truly drastic I can't see any UK election being won with that strategy, as much as it may be needed now and in the future. The electorate would much rather blame foreigners or create false narratives (Labour caused the crash!) to maintain the belief that the system works fine and doesn't need changing. Anyway, if by some miracle he did win an election he would only be crushed by suits that meet in rooms in Brussels and Washington. He's started the debate which is good, but I can only see real change happening from the bottom up.

His kind of politics is largely rejected by those unwilling to give up their privileges. Save something truly drastic I can't see any UK election being won with that strategy, as much as it may be needed now and in the future. The electorate would much rather blame foreigners or create false narratives (Labour caused the crash!) to maintain the belief that the system works fine and doesn't need changing. Anyway, if by some miracle he did win an election he would only be crushed by suits that meet in rooms in Brussels and Washington. He's started the debate which is good, but I can only see real change happening from the bottom up.

Hardly anyone actually believes this.

Edited by Mantis

Obviously you didn't read any newspapers or watch any political coverage over the past five years, as it is the line that the Tories have been peddling consistently and effectively, and plenty believed it enough to repeat it ad nauseam during the recent election campaign.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner
  • Like 2

Â