The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

Training and education are different and both equally important. Less obsession with 'training' in schools, colleges and universities would benefit the country as a whole.

We need more critical thinkers. 

1 hour ago, PompeyVillan said:

Training and education are different and both equally important. Less obsession with 'training' in schools, colleges and universities would benefit the country as a whole.

We need more critical thinkers and fewer knee-jerk monosyllabic critical writers.

Fixed! :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:
2 hours ago, PompeyVillan said:

We need more critical thinkers and fewer knee-jerk monosyllabic critical writers . 

Fixed! :)

What crap. ;)

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, itdoesntmatterwhatthissay said:

But as one of the leaders of innovation surely there's an opportunity to start providing the world with high quality British products?

Do we not already provide the world with high quality British products?

Where I'm going is to ask what is the mechanism for translating this apparent comparative advantage in 'innovation' to an actual economic advantage, such as a net increase in manufacturing exports?

200,000 people in Durham, at the Miners Gala today, to hear Jeremy and a few others speak, and celebrate the biggest trade union event in Europe. Amazing day, speaking to comrades from all over the country. Always the highlight of the year, for the Labour movement in the north.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

200,000 people in Durham, at the Miners Gala today, to hear Jeremy and a few others speak, and celebrate the biggest trade union event in Europe. Amazing day, speaking to comrades from all over the country. Always the highlight of the year, for the Labour movement in the north.

Glad you had a good day mate and good to hear there was such a good turn out. Didn't some prat interrupt Corbyns speech?

Edited by markavfc40

Just now, markavfc40 said:

Glad you had a good day mate and good to hear there was such a good turn out. Didn't some prat interrupt his speech?

A woman who had too much sun (and drink), tried to get at him (not sure if it was to hit or hug him). He was very good about it, and although she was removed, he said he would speak to her after his speech. My mate worked on his social media campaign, and was on stage during the speeches, said someone from Jeremy's team was keeping her calm, and speaking to her. while Jeremy finished his speech.

Absolutely superb day though. Heartily recommend a visit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Someone did - not sure that made her a prat.

I have just taken the time to watch it and she seemed pissed up. In fairness to Corbyn as you'd expect he handled it very well and said he'd speak with her after. I take back calling her a prat as it now transpires she was a pissed up prat ;-)

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

A woman who had too much sun (and drink), tried to get at him (not sure if it was to hit or hug him). He was very good about it, and although she was removed, he said he would speak to her after his speech. My mate worked on his social media campaign, and was on stage during the speeches, said someone from Jeremy's team was keeping her calm, and speaking to her. while Jeremy finished his speech.

Absolutely superb day though. Heartily recommend a visit.

Cheers for the info mate. Sounds like you had a great day and from the video of the woman trying to get at him I just watched looks like you had great weather.

• Like 1

I have just taken the time to watch it and she seemed pissed up. In fairness to Corbyn as you'd expect he handled it very well and said he'd speak with her after. I take back calling her a prat as it now transpires she was a pissed up prat ;-)

If that had been May or Hammond or Osborne would you have called her a 'prat'?

Just now, snowychap said:

If that had been May or Hammond or Osborne would you have called her a 'prat'?

Possibly not given the power they have had and the amount of people who have suffered due to their decisions I'd probably have to consider if she had good reason to.

Possibly not given the power they have had and the amount of people who have suffered due to their decisions I'd probably have to consider if she had good reason to.

That's utter shit then, Mark.

You've written her off as a 'pissed up prat' just because it's Corbyn.

2 minutes ago, snowychap said:

That's utter shit then, Mark.

You've written her off as a 'pissed up prat' just because it's Corbyn.

Maybe I have. You know what mate I am not one to get bogged down in petty crap like this so I'll be leaving it at that. Maybe I am wrong and she had good reason to interrupt, and continue to, after he repeatedly told her he would speak to her after.

Edited by markavfc40

Maybe I have. You know what mate I am not one to get bogged down in petty crap like this so I'll be leaving it at that. Maybe I am wrong and she had good reason to interrupt and continue to after he repeatedly told her he would speak to her after.

Yep, petty crap is a public questioning of the leader.

1 hour ago, dAVe80 said:

Gutted I missed that, sounds right up my street.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

Do we not already provide the world with high quality British products?

Where I'm going is to ask what is the mechanism for translating this apparent comparative advantage in 'innovation' to an actual economic advantage, such as a net increase in manufacturing exports?

We do indeed and so opening up those trade avenues is a necessity in a post-brexit world. Certain regulatory changes may help in that respect too; for example, fisheries policy.

But I also think there are opportunities we could further explore to invest in British industry and create new export markets as well as compete with some existing ones.
Despite our innovation, the report I linked also points to problems with access to finance. Government can solve that problem directly or through procurement, particularly if it sets an agenda like renewables; an agenda which could have been better supported without an ECJ ruling.

It will require the identification of strength and future industries but that should be a challenge relished.

Worth noting an investigation by a Greenpeace affiliated news team recently concluded we **** the fishing industry ourselves. We chose to allow a system that let fishing quotas be carved up and bartered meaning 2/3rds of our fishing rights are held by 3 companies through various trades and parent companies. Meaning, for instance, a tiny boat was officially allowed to take an impossible 4 tons of fish a day, but never left the marina. That same boat accounts for a fifth of the take for the South West officially.

Not the EU's fault. Ours. But it's one of the darlings of the eurosceptic crowd so nobody cares.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, itdoesntmatterwhatthissay said:

We do indeed and so opening up those trade avenues is a necessity in a post-brexit world. Certain regulatory changes may help in that respect too; for example, fisheries policy.

But I also think there are opportunities we could further explore to invest in British industry and create new export markets as well as compete with some existing ones.
Despite our innovation, the report I linked also points to problems with access to finance. Government can solve that problem directly or through procurement, particularly if it sets an agenda like renewables; an agenda which could have been better supported without an ECJ ruling.

It will require the identification of strength and future industries but that should be a challenge relished.

What is the mechanism for translating this apparent comparative advantage in 'innovation' to an actual economic advantage, such as a net increase in manufacturing exports?

Â