The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

Burnham has said he is standing, he makes the right noises on his video but sounds like a typical politician

In some ways he has had an easy ticket, its quite easy to shine as opposition Health spokes person. He seems robust enough, its between him and Yvette Cooper IMO.

Its very difficult to know how they will do, I was very gloomy about John Smith being labour leader, as he as shadow chancellor did a 'Shadow Budget', which always looked a daft move - but in his sadly short time as leader he did well and labour were riding high in the polls at the time of his death and when Blair took over.

I'm not sure on that Hippo. I might be being hugely naive, but the yanks seem to have some serious race issue going on, yet a black leader was still elected.

My own view is there are less people as a % of the population in the UK that would vote purely on skin colour, but I have nothing to back that up, it's just my perception.

I would love you to be right...but look at the votes UKIP pulled in ?  - immigration is the subject that get people going  (even more sadly - I don't actuallly think they mean immigation !!!!) 

Its a real shame Dan Jarvis isn't standing for leader.  I think Labour have a massive job on there hands to even come close in 2020 -

I'm with wazzap. There's a difference between racism and wanting to curb immigration. There will be closet and openly racist people who support all parties sadly, not just UKIP. I suspect many UKIP voters are simply worried about the sheer numbers of people coming into the country rather than purely just that they're foreign. They weren't pro ending all immigration, just introducing an Australian-based system based on economic and social need. I actually think Chuka's race will be a positive, but he has to prove that he's a good politican first and foremost.

but that hasn't happended and IMO is very unlikley to happen.  Boris, Osborne and May are next in line.

Labour are to loyal to underperforming leaders. David Milliband for example was urged to stand against Gordon Brown whilst he was still PM - but didn't do it.

Sajid is very well liked within the party. He'd certainly be one of my top choices to replace Cameron. Wouldn't rule him out being the next leader.

Chuka Umunna has withdrawn from the leadership contest. Uncomfortable with the scrutiny apparently.

Fair enough, in my view.

From the initial reports (and his statement), it would appear to be the scrutiny of his family more than him (and I guess a fear that it would just get worse).

Of course, it could be as a result of a skeleton having been found.

Or perhaps he's planning to defect to the Tories? :P

Shame really. He's probably the leader Labour need but I'm not convinced he would appeal to the electorate on any great scale. He can come over as a bit of a smug clearing in the woods. 

EDIT - although to be fair to him I'm yet to see a politician who that accusation could not be successfully levelled at.

Edited by Eames

I think if Umunna had become leader than some of the veiled racial attacks from the right wing media in this country, would have been relentless and quite nasty.

Be interesting to see who he and Dan Jarvis back for the leadership though.

On a side note Liz Kendall's other half is comedian Gregg Davies. That would be hilarious at diplomatic functions

Doubt we'd have seen any racist attacks at all. My guess is he doesn't think Labour have much a chance of winning in 2020, although you have to wonder why he stood in the first place.

tristan hunt does not look a good choice on what i saw last night on QT. I think ummuna was best choice but out of those left i think burnham is porbbaly their best bet

i suspect cooper and burnham will be final two

More suited to Shadow Chancellor IMO. [umana]

Burnham V Cooper.

Would agree that Tristam Hunt wasn't overly impressive on question time last night. I wonder if Dan Jarvis might now reconsider ? , I have feeling he would walk it if he did

Edited by hippo

tristram hunt shouldn't be selected for his name alone, if he wants to connect with the working class in northern england and the whole of scotland surely he'll have to change it!!! 

I know someone who's an unashamed red Tory to the extent that he said he would've joined the Labour Party had David Miliband won the leadership contest in 2010 and he absolutely despises Tristram Hunt. Can't imagine he'd be able to win Labour an election.

Â