The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, peterms said:

You have claimed that Corbyn came on board with her case only in response to Johnson's intervention, and by implication, as an act of political opportunism

I did and I was mistaken, if I’m charitable that Emily Thornbury asked her question as a response to being asked to or prompted by Corbyn. I’ll be charitable and assume it was either a joint decision, or Corbyn decided what his foreign secretary should ask. Thanks for correcting me.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

... it’s  the fact he's in it that’s pretty objectionable in itself

A Western politician not baying for blood or sanctions on Iranian TV, pleasant change.

They will edit it as they please to suit their narrative, of course. Bit like most telly and everything on the internet then. :)

The propaganda potential starts to backfire when what was actually said hits Youtube, and he's actually making sense, belying spin from media in the West and Tehran.

That's a good clip for him I think. Befitting of a statesman.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

editor of The Jewish Chronicle has decided that Corbyn means jews caused the crash

then later sends out not quite a retraction

Genuine question, has he said anything about Tory Party (and Gove only today) supporting the Hungarian PM?

These two tweets sum up the Labour Party for me. Jolyon Maugham is right that’s, been Labour all along, not interested in doing the right thing, interested in attaining power. That’s the wrong way round, they are prepared to sacrifice people’s jobs and livlihood's to get into power, that’s as despicable as the Tories in my book.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bickster said:

These two tweets sum up the Labour Party for me. Jolyon Maugham is right that’s, been Labour all along, not interested in doing the right thing, interested in attaining power. That’s the wrong way round, they are prepared to sacrifice people’s jobs and livlihood's to get into power, that’s as despicable as the Tories in my book.

The Labour party are just useless here. There is no alternative plan being outlined, it is just more magic thinking. "When the Government fails to make a success of Brexit we're going to step in, respect the original referendum, but do it in a way that protects jobs and the economy". Of course providing no details of how this magic plan is going to come to fruition.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

Ugh this guy and his shambles of a paper..

I don’t really know of him beyond the Wikipedia basics to be honest. I had a very quick look at the website and his previous twitter musings and he didn't look like he'd slip straight in to my closest buddies network. It just struck me as trying to keep flogging the same lame donkey. Which had two or three repercussions. Firstly, it made him look a bit silly in front of his home crowd. Then it provoked the usual foul twitter backlash of abuse. Which in turn lead him to feeling vindicated for having pretended to feel paranoid in the first place.
It’s all a bit of a sorry mess, easily stopped by either side or both sides. Clearly there are people and groups on both sides with agendas beyond us all just rubbing along together. People that are happy to create division and the potential for violence, so their gang can gain a fleeting political upper hand. I’m calling out both sides on that btw.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I don’t really know of him beyond the Wikipedia basics to be honest. I had a very quick look at the website and his previous twitter musings and he didn't look like he'd slip straight in to my closest buddies network. It just struck me as trying to keep flogging the same lame donkey. Which had two or three repercussions. Firstly, it made him look a bit silly in front of his home crowd. Then it provoked the usual foul twitter backlash of abuse. Which in turn lead him to feeling vindicated for having pretended to feel paranoid in the first place.
It’s all a bit of a sorry mess, easily stopped by either side or both sides. Clearly there are people and groups on both sides with agendas beyond us all just rubbing along together. People that are happy to create division and the potential for violence, so their gang can gain a fleeting political upper hand. I’m calling out both sides on that btw.

Yep. Labour needs to sort out its disciplinary process towards people who use their dislike for zionism as a guise to be racist and whoever is using the fact that some Jewish MP's, party members and so on have raised racism as an issue they are facing as a bat with which to hit Labour needs to actually focus on how to stop it rather than perpetuating it. There's no reasoning with parts of the Cult of Corbyn (as some previous posts on here would indicate), and neither with the right wing Tory press.

That doesn't excuse Corbyn's past indiscretions though, his response to this now very long saga has been nothing but weak, anemic and lackluster. You can't claim you want the good for "all people" and then go on Iranian state TV, invite known holocaust deniers to parliament because they're "in with your crowd" and so on. He and his team needs to tighten up their procedures when it comes to Corbyn adding his name to a conference\group\event and he needs to make it clear to his more radical old buddies that the Jewish community has real concerns rather than them just blaming "people wanting to bring Corbyn down innit!".

The sad thing here is that many of the voices that have raised this is a problem are being swamped out by drama queens like Hodge, counter-arguments by people like Naeomi Winbourne-Idrissi who are totally off the plot and then the Daily Mail perverting the original stories. The only losers here are the people affected - and sadly a lot of people in the Jewish community feel like a political card that both sides are using.

Edited by magnkarl

Yes. But with the emphasis the other way around for me.
Whilst we debate the nuance of words used or not used by a leader of the opposition, in Israel people are being killed, injured, prisoned and relocated so the superior power can take their land by force.
Both are problems. One feels a little more pressing and real world.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Yes. But with the emphasis the other way around for me.
Whilst we debate the nuance of words used or not used by a leader of the opposition, in Israel people are being killed, injured, prisoned and relocated so the superior power can take their land by force.
Both are problems. One feels a little more pressing and real world.

Again, and I keep getting back to this. British Jews have NOTHING to do with Israel. This is the problem with all of this. People who conflate the issues going on in Israel with what is going on with the likes of Naz Shah, Livingstone, Shawcroft etc still doesn't understand what it is that the British Jewish community is upset about. Labour has a problem dealing with British people being nasty towards British citizens (Jews in this case) and should stop conflating the issue with whatever a state in the middle east is doing.

It's possible to discuss two problems at once - something which hard-left Labour seems to have an issue with.

Edited by magnkarl

...and yet grainy photos of an attendance at a memorial somewhere in the middle east is part of the UK jewish discourse?

I think if people want to be offended, they'll be offended. If people want to be deliberately vague, they'll be absolutely adamantly clearly vague. So, around it goes again. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

...and yet grainy photos of an attendance at a memorial somewhere in the middle east is part of the UK jewish discourse?

I think if people want to be offended, they'll be offended. If people want to be deliberately vague, they'll be absolutely adamantly clearly vague. So, around it goes again. 

Yup, ultra grainy. Talk about vague explanations for why someone is standing over the grave of a member of a group that shot and killed people at a sports event in another country.

ccelebritiesfoto4F1368E600000578-0-image

If only he owned up to it. Oh wait. "I was there but I don't think I was praying for a dead terrorist". There's being outright stupid and people clutching at straws. I'd say Corbyn pretty much made his own bed with this one.

Â