Why winning the FA Cup means so much to me....

MikeMcKenna

I have been fortunate to have seen us win the European Cup, the European Super Cup and the League Cup (4 times), I have seen us become champions of both Divisions 3 & 1 and I  was told my pram was pushed in front of the television set so that I could see us win the FA Cup (but my memory of that is more than a bit hazy ;) ),

I have also seen us pick up the Intertoto Cup as did my son alongside me. But he like many other younger fans has not seen us win a major trophy. I want him along with other young fans to feel the pride and joy that watching us lift a big trophy gives Villa fans and I would also like to see us lift the FA Cup for a second time (but this time in person).  

Arsenal have had more than their fair share of FA Cup wins since 1957. Lets do this for the 57 team and for Sammy Morgan! :)    

Yes 6 ft 2 eyes of blue sammy morgan's after you. I was at both of those cup games against Arsenal. 

• Like 1

I started following Villa in 1994, but they didn't show the league cup over here so it was just something I read about in the week old Daily Mail with computers not that accessible for me until around 1997 or so. So I missed out on the league cup fun. Watched the 2000 FA Cup final live but we all know how bad that was. This will be my first chance to see Villa raise a trophy. I didn't expect to beat Chelsea. I think we can win it this time. UTV

• Like 1

I've always wanted us to win the cup. I have had dreams about it, and as a kid I used to have a pretend FA Cup (cut out) trophy which I would play against my friends in my street to win - and I always would, and I would wear my Villa shirt.

One of the first games I saw on video was the 57' cup final, and it had interviews with players.. and the passion they showed was incredible. Ever since then I have wanted us to win it so much.

2000 broke my heart. I was 18 and it wasn't a girl that hurt me, it was seeing that lacklustre and limp performance. I kicked every ball, I felt it in my chest, in my head, heart and soul. When they beat us it broke my heart. Pathetic.

The following day I walked out my front door and walked for hours, went from Newport to Ryde, to Sandown, to Ventnor. I just walked.

I'm now 33 and know this will be the same - I'll cope better, I am older and more prepared. But it's another one of those things where I know I will never see us win the cup.

:(

• Like 2

I know that I would die a very happy man in the end, if I saw Villa win the FA Cup in my lifetime... I feel that serious about it, I have made a pact with god that is potentially life changing for me.

It's all in the colours,

It's all in the name...

Supporting A. N. Other,

Just wouldn't feel the same...

© 2015 Raver50032.

Taking personal feelings out of the equation, I've never before wanted us to win something for a player as I do this time around.

It would be fitting to see our brother, Fabian Delph walk up those steps and collect the trophy.

For him to get a winners medal, so soon after committing himself to the cause would be the perfect reward. he is totally committed to the team & this is there for all to see. I'm sure that he had better offers but showed a quality that is rare these days and that is loyalty. Even more so given the depths we'd plummeted to at the time he signed.

• Like 1

Taking personal feelings out of the equation, I've never before wanted us to win something for a player as I do this time around.

It would be fitting to see our brother, Fabian Delph walk up those steps and collect the trophy.

For him to get a winners medal, so soon after committing himself to the cause would be the perfect reward. he is totally committed to the team & this is there for all to see. I'm sure that he had better offers but showed a quality that is rare these days and that is loyalty. Even more so given the depths we'd plummeted to at the time he signed.

I'm with you there pal.

+1 for the reward for Delph... It kind of has a resonance for the 1996 league cup final win over Leeds... Everyone I could have wished for to score a goal and win that game, did so...

Savo - to shut up his media critics

Yorke - though eventual unforgiven heartbreaker, at the time, he was my Yorkie-Bar... loved him... not any more though...

Taylor - Roy of the Rovers magic; the main highlight of that game for me... loved him. And still do.

--

30th May - imagine if we won and Delph, Grealish and Gabby are all in the mix... I could give up on life right there and then.

• Like 2

Watched the thing on BBC1 last night, about the FA Cup, and I really started to get a bit emotional. There was a bit where the camera zoomed in, on the same Villa fan, before, during and after the semi final match, and he burst into tears at full time. If we win, I think I may very well do the same.

The match tread is very pessimistic at the moment (maybe correctly so), but I can't let myself think like that at the moment. Wimbledon, Sunderland, Wigan etc keep springing to mind. Yes we're the underdogs, but it can be done. COME ON YOU LIONS!  

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 1

Watched the thing on BBC1 last night, about the FA Cup, and I really started to get a bit emotional. There was a bit where the camera zoomed in, on the same Villa fan, before, during and after the semi final match, and he burst into tears at full time. If we win, I think I may very well do the same.

The match tread is very pessimistic at the moment (maybe correctly so), but I can't let myself think like that at the moment. Wimbledon, Sunderland, Wigan etc keep springing to mind. Yes we're the underdogs, but it can be done. COME ON YOU LIONS!  

Was that the programme which looked like it was going to be the Gerrard 'show' if they had got to the final?

Watched it too, really tugged at my heartstrings and made me realise how much I want us to win this. :( 

Was that the programme which looked like it was going to be the Gerrard 'show' if they had got to the final?

Watched it too, really tugged at my heartstrings and made me realise how much I want us to win this. :(

Yeah, that was the one. I keep thinking back to how much the BBC had a hard on for Liverpool and Gerrard to get to the final. As much as I want it to be about Villa, the fact we spoiled that little fantasy does bring a massive smile to my face. 

Some absolutely fantastic stories and comments on this thread - I never get bored of reading stuff like this. People who don't understand football or don't understand Aston Villa, will never realise just how much it means to some. It takes over your life and does become a form of religion.

I've had a mixed time at Wembley. From the highs of the '94 and '96 League Cup triumphs as a young lad, and the semi-final wins against Bolton and most recently Liverpool, to the heartbreak of Chelsea 2000 and Man Utd 2010. I think we're due another win.

The FA Cup is the most prestigious domestic cup competition in the world and a global audience of billions will be watching our troops on Saturday. To win it, well, I just can't put into words what that would mean to me. Those couple of League Cups aside, I've not seen the true glories this football club has achieved. My dad slept in a Union Jack flag outside Rotterdam Central station before the European Cup victory and, although I can never experience such highs as that, winning the FA Cup would come pretty close and say to the world that Aston Villa Football Club is back in town.

Believe.

Cause after the last 5 seasons we deserve it. Cause it will make me so happy. Cause I for a long time can say to Liverpool, Arsenal and Man Utd fans: How many titles did you win last season?

1, Ive seen us win the league (old div 1)

2, ive seen us win the European Cup

3, ive seen us win div 3 (the new league 1)

4, ive seen us win the super cup

5, ive seen us win the inter toto cup

6, ive seen us survive relegation from the Prem

7, ive seen us relegated from div 1 (the new Prem)

8, ive seen us relegated from div 2 (the new league 1)

9, ive seen us lose the FA Cup final

10, ive seen us close to going out of business

11, ive seen us without a training ground

12, ive seen us entertain the great Pele

13, ive seen us win the charity shield

14, ive seen us win the league cup

15, ive seen us lose the league cup

16, BUT I HAVE NEVER SEEN US WIN THE FA CUP !!!

Come on you Villa Boys....bring the cup back :)  

• Like 3

For me growing up in australia i never had a connection to a team but loved the English team (dont know why) but under mon i started to get a connection to the villa.

I remember staying up to 3 and 4 in the morning to watch the lads play on a shitty stream until i got foxtel (our sky).

And for me arsenal are up there with the blue scum. I hate them with a passion. I flew over to see us play at the emirates with one of my best mates who is an arsenal fan and we can not lose to them in the final it would be the end of out friendship

Am nervous about this like nothing else! I proposed to the missus last month and was not this worked up!! Hahahaha

I want is to win this like nothing else, to make up for the last few years.

I want to see Gabby score and go down as an absolutely Villa legend, want to see Grealish win this as a fan. See Fabian get some reward for his commitment. See Benteke stay and help us push further. See Okore get some payback for putting his body on the line. See Westwood controlling the play and upstaging Coquelin and Carzola

I wish Clarke could be in this final for us. I could imagine that he would be more then up for it and wish I could see him sycthe some gunner down on the break!

Edited by chunkyluke

I was 12 in 1956 when I started supporting Aston Villa, so the 1957 Final was fantastic for me, made even more special by the great Peter Mc Parland.

So come on, Villa, do it for me, so that I can say I saw it happen twice. 

Edited by AntrimBlack

I was 12 in 1956 when I started supporting Aston Villa, so the 1957 Final was fantastic for me, made even more special by the great Peter Mc Parland.

So come on, Villa, do it for me, so that I can say I saw it happen twice.

Oh well. At least you've seen it once which is once more than me and thousands of others :mellow:

Â