Why winning the FA Cup means so much to me....

MikeMcKenna

Along with the Europa league it's the only thing we have not won in my lifetime so I'm hoping for a cup double from Sherwood this season and next

• Like 1

The last time we won the cup was three weeks before my mum was born.  When we won the league I was two, and I was three when we won the European cup.   The only honours I can actually remember us winning were the two league cups in the mid 1990s.  I'm in this weird generation of people who are too young to remember us being genuinely successful but old enough to remember when the FA cup final was the biggest day of the season.  It's a competition I'd absolutely love to see us win in my lifetime, preferably next month! :hooray: 

• Like 3

cant believe people are so quick to not mention our glorious Intertoto Cup victories

Technically we never won it. Whoever went furthest in the UEFA cup of the teams that qualified through the intertwobob cup was awarded the trophy each year.

Edited by villa89

I can just about remember the 96 League cup. Apart from that I've never seen Villa win a trophy. The last time we won the FA Cup was the year my Mum was born and the final is on her birthday this year. Omen?

Is your mum Steven Gerrard :P

• Like 3

Agree 100% have seen us win the league and European cup when I was a kid, then the league cups in the 90's. The big one for me is still the FA cup. I remember the build up on cup final day from 11am till 5:30, the team buses, showing all the crowds walking down Wembley way and the brass band on the pitch. It didn't matter what teams were competing you always picked one of them for the day that you wanted to win. Most of this has changed in my opinion due to sky, now most the teams in the final are hated due to over exposure and media bias. But this year has a different feel. Aston Villa are in the final and after the wins against Albion and Liverpool we are believing in this great club again. I've just read that it,s retro day against Everton this Saturday. Well to me it will be retro day on the 30th May and I,'ll be wearing the 57 cup final shirt.

• 2 weeks later...

Along with the Europa league it's the only thing we have not won in my lifetime so I'm hoping for a cup double from Sherwood this season and next

And then the champions league.  ;)

I didn't realise you were old enough Briny! You come across quite "young" if you don't mind me saying, and I don't mean in an immature way.

What would the cup win mean to me? No idea. I was 12 years old the last time we won something, we had already won another a couple of years before and had recently finished 2nd and 4th in the league. I thought the good times would never end so it just kinda felt natural to my 12 year old self.

In a way I'm glad of the hardship over the years since then, the missed opportunities and the crushing blows. They will make it all the more sweeter. I am looking forward to it!

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

Got my ticket today so can finally look forward to the Final.

The semi was emotional enough for me. Lost my dad a couple of years ago and was with him for the 2x Coca Cola Cup wins and the 2000 final.

Really believe it's our year this year. When we win [emoji3] pretty sure I'll be a blubbering wreck!!

• Like 4

I have been fortunate to have seen us win the European Cup, the European Super Cup and the League Cup (4 times), I have seen us become champions of both Divisions 3 & 1 and I  was told my pram was pushed in front of the television set so that I could see us win the FA Cup (but my memory of that is more than a bit hazy ;) ),

I have also seen us pick up the Intertoto Cup as did my son alongside me. But he like many other younger fans has not seen us win a major trophy. I want him along with other young fans to feel the pride and joy that watching us lift a big trophy gives Villa fans and I would also like to see us lift the FA Cup for a second time (but this time in person).  

Arsenal have had more than their fair share of FA Cup wins since 1957. Lets do this for the 57 team and for Sammy Morgan! :)    

• Like 4

Â