Correct or World gone mad ?

tonyh29

Correct or World gone mad ?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Correct or World gone mad ?

• Correct
    • World gone mad

Should we also ban any literature that denotes the British, as imperialistic, upper class soldiers, or stereo typically in Pin Stripe Suits and Bowler hats?

No. Because that's true. You've been down under for too long Nick, we've come full circle back here. I for one am now dressed like John Cleese in the Ministry for Silly Walks sketch. Just ask Major Ponsonnby-Smythe next to me.

Should we also ban any literature that denotes the British, as imperialistic, upper class soldiers, or stereo typically in Pin Stripe Suits and Bowler hats?

No. Because that's true. .

Is, or rather WAS.

that's history - not current

FWIW, I used to have a gollywog doll and for me i perceived no negative racial stereotypes from it - if a girl has a doll of a barbie etc does that mean all white girls look/act like barbie?

I had an action man - yet i don't think all white males are in the army, wear combat gear and can rotate their eyes with a plastic lever protruding from the back of their head. :)

I must never have read Noddy etc as i can recall no stories from my childhood involving "sinster" car jacking gollywogs! If those stories existed then IMO they were/are wrong and are indeed perpetuating negative stereotypes.

But i had a gollywog doll, used to eat the jam and other things like chocolate mousse that all had the gollywog symbol on them and took no negative racial meaning from them at all.

Is, or rather WAS.

I was kidding.

So Golliwogs, ridiculous caricture dolls of a race of people who, up until recently, have been oppressed for centuries partly down to the stereotypes that are reinforced by are these caricatures, are same as Action Man/Barbie/cartoon depictions of English business men etc?

You didn't get negative racist meaning from your Golly. I had one too, neither did I. But that's because we were brought up in such a way that meant we could see them as purely toys.

What about kids in familires that are less open minded and who are more pre-disposed to prejudice? For these, exposure to negative stereotypes against a race of people who have constantly had to fight against them for many years, could be another factor that helps turn them into a BNP voter.

Maybe the conclusion to draw from this is that we should ban racist people - in an ideal world we would (I have a dream today!). Until we can, we should fight against things that give them an excuse to be.

does that mean all white girls look/act like barbie?

They do in Sunderland mate. Why do you think I have stayed up here so long? :lol:

They do in Sunderland mate. Why do you think I have stayed up here so long?

having seen the flat slags in Viv ,I'd say Sunderland was a sterotype that IS true :-)

(with apologies to any lasses from Sunderland that happen to be browsing ....)

Â