AVR#117 Aston Villa review episode 117. Something about the FA cup

The_Rev

I think Atletico Madrid is about the perfect level of team that I'd want to support.

I'd love Villa to be like that. Good enough to win the league on occasion and get a taste of the big time, but not big enough for it to become routine.

I'm up for that. Or a Dortmund.

I don't think the issue is with the clubs themselves rather the fans. You'd have thought Liverpool would be of a similar inclination these days but English fans have a tendency towards entitlement. Though they are a special case granted.

Yeah I agree with that. Especially Man City. Their fans seem to have gone from normal to entitled in record time. They seem to have skipped the part where they actually have long term sustained success.

Put it this way. If I moved to Madrid, and decided I'd pick a club to support in my new home, it would be Atletico Madrid without even a second thought.

Agree with all the "not getting to big" sentiments.

You don't support Aston Villa for the constant success and the winning. You support Aston Villa for the horror and the hope - because its real. Every high like last Sunday tempered by the depressing 3-0 away defeats at Stoke on a Wednesday night. It wouldn't be fun if Villa didn't serve up the odd kick in the balls every now and again.

I'll take the constant success if thats an option thanks. I'll always have the memories of a few decades of utter failure to keep me grounded :)

You might, but see Stevo's post above re Man City. I would like to believe I would stay grounded also, but unless we all feel the same then scenes like those on Sunday won't carry the same gravitas.

Difficult one. Sunday was incredible but **** me, Its been absolutely awful for years to enjoy that moment.

I wouldn't want to get to a point where that doesn't mean much but it would be nice to watch top players and win on a fairly consistent basis.

That's different though. Nobody is saying we want to carry on as we are to make those days special.

Just that we wouldn't want to be so used to success that it becomes routine.

There's a million miles of middle ground to play with in between

Great show again gents. You've summed up the mood exactly - no fear of Arsenal, but also no real expectation of winning - the perfect scenario really!

I spotted our defensive corner routine aswell - Richardson at near post and Delph covering the short corner to the near post, and then once they know the corner is going long, Richardson moves to the far post and Delph to the near post. Its very clever as it means we are using to 2 players to do 3 jobs, so we don't leave ourselves too exposed in box itself.

The other thing you guys alluded to but didn't mention specifically is that this is the first time in a very long time that we have dominated and won a game against one of the big 4 or big 6. We have picked up the odd result by playing excellent counter attacking football in the past few years, but this was very different. We set out to try to control the game and play on the front foot. Its just a very different mentality to what we have become used to.

Â