Travel plans

hogso

As per this article from a couple of years ago, it's likely that the KO time will be 5pm or 5.15pm for the foreseeable future, mainly due to viewing audiences on TV, it seems.

Edited by hogso

Agree the organisation of the trains at Wembley was brilliant. After celebrating, coming out the ground, having a piss , getting some beer from the Tesco express , getting in the queue and was straight on the train in 10 minutes.

Hopefully they can improve on getting on at moor street and making that quicker for everyone.

After a very pleasant experience on the way down, and particularly on the way back (something really has to be said in this regard I feel - the organisation out of Wembley in particular was excellent), I'll be looking to use the train again from Moor Street to Wembley stadium for the final on the Chiltern line (thanks Rev).

Looking at the online planner for 30th May, though, it does not show a direct service. It requires a change at High Wycombe or going to Marylebone, and then going back to Wembley, unlike the direct services available on Sunday.

Am I safe in assuming there will be direct services put on that I can't view at the moment? I'll buy my ticket online in the next few days regardless I think, I'm not too fussed about changing, but for conveniences sake it would be simpler without.

KO will be 5pm more than likely (I'm sure this is standard now?), so anyone else booking may want to take that into consideration before the official info is announced.

I wouldn't worry about that at all, the amended timetable will be in place in time for the game. They just won't have put it on the website yet.   I think there were 12 trains in three hours from Moor Street to Wembley on semi final day, all 6-8 coaches (lets say an average of 500 seats per train) and it seemed to go fairly smoothly.  I've not seen how many Villa fans passed through the station on Sunday morning, I presume we will get a number this weekend, but the queue was three or four deep at it's narrowest point and snaked all the way from Selfridges to Masshouse so it would have been several thousand. 

There are trains back from Marylebone to Birmingham as late as 10pm on a Sunday, they all pass through the platforms at Wembley Stadium station normally and they should all stop there on cup final day.  Again if previous years are anything to go by (and I've worked on the line for almost 15 years) then all the trains will be 6-8 coaches and there will be several additional services. 

I was thinking of going to Plymouth (where my girlfriend lives for Uni) and getting a train in the morning as I felt it'd be easier. Then I saw that the trains take 4+ hours instead of less than 2 from Birmingham! Madness.

Er, you do know Plymouth is about twice as far from London as Birmingham is right?  (225 miles by train as opposed to 112) :detect:

I'd suggest trying Birmingham International to get on the train.

That's what I did for the semi. Was terrified it would be rammed full with everyone having got on from central Birmingham, but it was pretty quiet.

Different route I think than Moor Street but same as New Street. It was a virgin train though so maybe other providers were busier.

I was thinking of going to Plymouth (where my girlfriend lives for Uni) and getting a train in the morning as I felt it'd be easier. Then I saw that the trains take 4+ hours instead of less than 2 from Birmingham! Madness.

Er, you do know Plymouth is about twice as far from London as Birmingham is right?  (225 miles by train as opposed to 112) :detect:

You can pretty safely assume I did not know that...  :(

• Like 2

That's what I did for the semi. Was terrified it would be rammed full with everyone having got on from central Birmingham, but it was pretty quiet.

Different route I think than Moor Street but same as New Street. It was a virgin train though so maybe other providers were busier.

The Moor Street train I got was pretty quiet, loads of room. Plenty of villa got on at the various stops along the way though, so was pretty full come Wembley

Just booked my flight.

Leave Cincinnati Thurs 4pm - 5hrs in Detroit then arrive Friday 11am... Return Sunday 1pm to Seattle - arrive for an 8hour layover before catching an 11pm flight to Cinci arriving at 6.30am Mon morning.

EVERY SINGLE SECOND WILL BE WORTH IT!

that's **** impressive

Just booked my flight.

Leave Cincinnati Thurs 4pm - 5hrs in Detroit then arrive Friday 11am... Return Sunday 1pm to Seattle - arrive for an 8hour layover before catching an 11pm flight to Cinci arriving at 6.30am Mon morning.

EVERY SINGLE SECOND WILL BE WORTH IT!

This guy deserves a ticket!

Change of plan now. I'm coming up to birmingham for the night to watch it. Where will be best to watch it with lots of fellow villans? Any big screen on show up there? Any info you guys can give would be great. Cheers

Possibly villa park
Well that would be great if they put screens up. Have they done that before then?

The Moor Street train I got was pretty quiet, loads of room. Plenty of villa got on at the various stops along the way though, so was pretty full come Wembley

I think a lot of people go from Moor Street because the train on that route (into Marylebone) stops here: 

bJD8noJl.jpg

You are right at the stadium when you step off the train. The trains from Birmingham arrive  at the bottom of those stairs in the distance (this photo was taken from the northbound platform, I was heading back to Birmingham when I took it.) from New Street or International the route goes into Euston and the closest you get to the stadium is Euston.  There is a station at Wembley central those trains pass through but the platforms are too short for Pendolinos and I'm pretty sure they don't have many football trains stopping there which are long enough to fit in the platforms because the station is underground, has narrow platforms and the only way out is up steep staircases so overcrowding is potentially disastrous.  It's a good twenty minute walk from the stadium too. 

@Hogso, what time did you travel out of curiosity?  I was at Moor Street for a while in the morning before I headed to London and every train leaving (between 08:30 and 10:00) was very busy leaving Birmingham and I presume they were picking loads more up at Solihull too.  I'm curious as to what time it started to quieten down. 

Change of plan now. I'm coming up to birmingham for the night to watch it. Where will be best to watch it with lots of fellow villans? Any big screen on show up there? Any info you guys can give would be great. Cheers

I caught the semi final in Snobs in the city centre and it was full of Villa fans watching the game.  I'd imagine pretty much anywhere in town with a screen will have plenty of Villa inside.  Might be an idea to set up a VT meet ahead of the game? I'm sure you will get people up for that. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I get that Rev. But if people are bothered about overcrowding (although it sounds like it wasn't that bad) or queueing at Moor Street then the trains from International are quieter. It doesn't drop you at the stadium but it's a 10 minute tube trip to Wembley Park from Euston Square which isn't exactly a ball ache.

Or you can change at Watford (I think) and hop on a Wembley bound train from there.

Â