The FA Cup Final Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

It's been so positive on here recently, it'll be horrible come the final whistle tomorrow :(

I don't think I've ever seen someone so pessimistic about a game.

And that's saying something on here!

It's weird, I usually have some faith but I don't. Let me tell you why [/Miliband].

The first book I ever got was about Aston Villa, no kidding, I cannot remember the name of it now (think it had Dennis Mortimer on the cover, a hard-back, claret) and inside it had a note from my dad that the book would teach me all about the greatest club in the world.

It did. 

From the moment I could read, I went through that book page by page in awe. I was born the year we won the European Cup and this book took me right up to that point. By the age of 8 I had read the book many times and it taught me so much about what the club is and what it means.

By that point I had already come to understand the harsh reality of being a Villa fan, as my first game saw us 5-0 at half-time and we left - with me heartbroken, and with the reality of being a Villa fan under my belt.

As I grew older I soon realised that as soon as there is something good happening, it will fall apart. Ron Atkinson, some of the best football I have seen and we looked a force, but the team ended up looking spent - they were old and falling apart, and the force turned to the dark side. Brian Little put together a really good team, it fell apart as soon as we looked like pushing on after a cup win, Gregory had an incredible start in his first full season, it fell apart after a cup loss, we finally got a new chairman and it looked like we can finally push on...

It's an endless list of things looking really good, like we are on the way up.. before we're hit full on in the face with the harsh reality of being a Villa fan.

I've spent my entire life dreaming of us winning the FA Cup, but life has taught me one thing.. something is bound to happen to put a stop to anything good happening at our club. I'll happily admit I am the Eeyore of the forum, and I would also sell my soul to win us something, to see us win something. I'd give all my awesome tech gadgets if it meant we'd win tomorrow. None of that means more than seeing the claret and blue of Aston Villa where it deserves to be. But I am not sure I can see it happening, after all I have seen far too much good turn bad too quickly.

I've paid my dues

Time after time

I've done my sentence

But committed no crime

And bad mistakes

I've made a few

I've had my share of sand

Kicked in my face

But I've come through

And we mean to go on and on and on and on

This may sound weird, but I'd have more confidence in us coming back and winning if we conceded around the half hour mark than if we conceded inside the first 15 minutes.

Although obviously I'd rather we keep it tight for as long as possible.

Edited by Mantis

If we lose it'll most likely be because Arsenal are a much better team, not because there's some kind of mystic curse against Villa that prevents us from ever progressing.

You must be a lot of fun at parties. Do you point out the alcohol percentage for each drink too?

• Like 1

If we lose it'll most likely be because Arsenal are a much better team, not because there's some kind of mystic curse against Villa that prevents us from ever progressing.

You must be a lot of fun at parties. Do you point out the alcohol percentage for each drink too?

So I'm really boring because I don't believe in this daft idea that Villa are cursed?

So I'm really boring because I don't believe in this daft idea that Villa are cursed?

Who does then?

Who does then?

I thought you did? You said something would be bound to happen to stop anything good happening to the club.

Fact is there are a lot of clubs worse off than ourselves. We could've been relegated in any of the last few seasons but we weren't. We could've not had the pleasure of (at least) 3 seasons of watching one of the best young strikers in world football. We also could've not made it to the final but we did. As I said before, win or lose it's been an enjoyable ride up until now at least.

Who does then?

I thought you did? You said something would be bound to happen to stop anything good happening to the club.

Fact is there are a lot of clubs worse off than ourselves. We could've been relegated in any of the last few seasons but we weren't. We could've not had the pleasure of (at least) 3 seasons of watching one of the best young strikers in world football. We also could've not made it to the final but we did. As I said before, win or lose it's been an enjoyable ride up until now at least.

Yep like Dowd's free game for United, James' flappy hands etc... Not voodoo.. Edited by DK82
  • Like 1

Who does then?

Yep like Dowd's free reign for United, James' flappy hands etc... Not voodoo..

That's just how football works sometimes - doesn't mean something like that is destined to happen again this time.

Just look at Preston and their play-off record before last week.

Edited by Mantis

Who does then?

Yep like Dowd's free reign for United, James' flappy hands etc... Not voodoo..

That's just how football works sometimes - doesn't mean something like that is destined to happen again this time.

Just look at Preston and their play-off record before last week.

Plenty of times things have been going well then hit a brick wall. Think it's the mentality of the club and players. Preston were up against a team similar to themselves, we are facing a team who have 10x our spending power, yet our manager wants to go toe to toe to "see what happens", it'll be ugly if he does.

How's everyone doing?

I think I'm going to throw up.

EDIT: Stefan, I keep thinking about the Seahawks at the Superbowl this year.... :(

Edited by heid3ster