Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Well Birmingham Mail have a nice simple graph that shows Lerner's net investment. It was in response to Lambert's belief we've changed our transfer policy and how he was supported more than Sherwood so far.

12/13 Lerner spent £24m

13/14 Lerner spent £16m

14/15 Lerner spent £9m

15/16 Lerner spent £5m so far.

Now I'm no mathematician, but even I see a little pattern developing! With that in mind we can assume a few things;

1) The wages have also been reduced over that period

2) We aren't in the market for any players in the +£10m range from this point on

3) Lerner is reducing year on year his expenditure

4) Next year's net spend will be about £2m if the graph stays constant!

Yes. Lambert was complaining that Sherwood was given more to spend than him, but the graph shows that Lambert actually was backed better than Sherwood.

I supported Lambert for 2 seasons +, but he is beginning to annoy me now.

Transfer window is not closed. Wasn't it report that Sherwood was going to be given £20m? If so, Tim still has 15m to spend.

Yes. Lambert was complaining that Sherwood was given more to spend than him, but the graph shows that Lambert actually was backed better than Sherwood.

Can't stand someone who compares and complains after the event like this. It's like a spoilt brat comparing how much was spent on them at Christmas.

Well Birmingham Mail have a nice simple graph that shows Lerner's net investment. It was in response to Lambert's belief we've changed our transfer policy and how he was supported more than Sherwood so far.

12/13 Lerner spent £24m

13/14 Lerner spent £16m

14/15 Lerner spent £9m

Now I'm no mathematician, but even I see a little pattern developing! With that in mind we can assume a few things;

2) We aren't in the market for any players in the +£10m range from this point on

Same as me.

If he just doesnt talk this annoying way I would keep my respect to him.

He went to a really really dire moments last season. Yet he came out and say he doesnt blame Delph going ! While the fans were angry about Delphs way not his departure in particular.

The difference in Villa game during Lambert and Sherwood during last season was obvious. Yet he keep talking about backing Sherwood with money.

• Like 2

12/13 Lerner spent £24m

13/14 Lerner spent £16m

14/15 Lerner spent £9m

Transfer window is not closed. Wasn't it report that Sherwood was going to be given £20m? If so, Tim still has 15m to spend.

Even though, he would still just match the net spend for Lambert first season. And there was a lot of deadwood which werent offloaded. Also the new TV deal goes into Sherwood side too.

Was in Manchester today so got a copy of the MEN.

Just a little snippet and probably nothing in it but the reporter was commenting on LVG and Giggs reaction to Hernandez penalty miss last night and one of his made up comments was "should we send him to Aston Villa on loan?" Maybe taking the mick or maybe he's got some inside info that he'll be available on the last day if United sign another striker in next few days.

I'd take him anyway, we need someone in the box who's ruthless at finishing. Just don't see one in the present squad. Sinclair won't be playing league 2 every week.

Just a little snippet and probably nothing in it but the reporter was commenting on LVG and Giggs reaction to Hernandez penalty miss last night and one of his made up comments was "should we send him to Aston Villa on loan?" Maybe taking the mick or maybe he's got some inside info that he'll be available on the last day if United sign another striker in next few days.

I'd take him anyway, we need someone in the box who's ruthless at finishing. Just don't see one in the present squad. Sinclair won't be playing league 2 every week.

I don't think we're good enough to play with a goal poacher. It's why things didn't work out for Darren Bent, you're essentially carrying a player for 90 minutes. 

Here's their reaction on the bench

https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/953083DC5F1248421408926244864_va51225cd83.mp4?versionId=9asiRT3FxyNAW80LkUnx0lJAfsOOtQMF

I don't think we're good enough to play with a goal poacher. It's why things didn't work out for Darren Bent, you're essentially carrying a player for 90 minutes. 

Bent had his limitations of course but he was good in that six month period when we had genuine quality in Young and Downing setting him up. 

Hernanez being set up by Grealish and Adama with Amavi and Bacuna also getting crosses in. I could live with that.

Hernandez is a good finisher but we need a more rounded complete striker. We need someone who can conjure a goal from nothing and makes defence shit themselves whenever he's on the ball. Hernandez can't do that.

Hernandez is a good finisher but we need a more rounded complete striker. We need someone who can conjure a goal from nothing and makes defence shit themselves whenever he's on the ball. Hernandez can't do that.

Hmmmm.

Not sure there are more than half a dozen of those in world football !

I think our play makers would create plenty of chances for Hernandez. Sinclair scored 2 goals by literally just being in the right spot which is what Hernandez has made a career off of. Traore, Gil, Sinclair, and Grealish need someone to finish the chances they create. 

Hmmmm.

Not sure there are more than half a dozen of those in world football !

They don't need to be world class or whatever, I'm not saying we need to get another Benteke like for like, but there will be players out there that offer dynamism upfront. Someone who can mix up the different types of striker there are, able to poach as well as score screamers and link play. Tims approach seems to suggest he wants players that can bring more to the game than what a simple poacher might.

Austin is a good goalscorer but he is far from a complete striker.

Czechlad is right about Hernandez. I've never been a huge fan, but right now he'd do a job. If Veretout continues his progression, or if not Sanchez, then we have 3 hard working midfielders behind the creative talent who can also play a bit themselves. We can afford to "carry" a poacher, lord knows we carried our entire forward line for the first 2 games. 

Can't stand someone who compares and complains after the event like this. It's like a spoilt brat comparing how much was spent on them at Christmas.

It is kind of true though, Tim has had £40m+ to spend, most of it coming from a player that Lambert and the scouts signed and developed and Delph who he helped turn into an England international. I'm not saying that we made the wrong call in sacking Lambert or that Tim hasn't spent the money very well, which I think he has, just that I can see why Lambert could be frustrated having helped turn around the finances whilst keeping us in the league that he didn't go on to the next stage. However there's no getting over the fact that by the Hull game he was a defeated man and needed putting out his misery, it's just that I think Lambert gets a bit of a rough ride as his job was a very tough one and he did OK. We could be a lot worse off than we are and things hopefully look like they could be on the up. Just need to get a few more players in through the door to fill out the squad with a bit of experience.

It is kind of true though, Tim has had £40m+ to spend, most of it coming from a player that Lambert and the scouts signed and developed and Delph who he helped turn into an England international. I'm not saying that we made the wrong call in sacking Lambert or that Tim hasn't spent the money very well, which I think he has, just that I can see why Lambert could be frustrated having helped turn around the finances whilst keeping us in the league that he didn't go on to the next stage. However there's no getting over the fact that by the Hull game he was a defeated man and needed putting out his misery, it's just that I think Lambert gets a bit of a rough ride as his job was a very tough one and he did OK. We could be a lot worse off than we are and things hopefully look like they could be on the up. Just need to get a few more players in through the door to fill out the squad with a bit of experience.
Lambert would have relegated us if he stayed last season. I have no doubt about that. We would then have made 40m on Benteke and Delph and Lerner would have pocketed it to cover the cost of us going down. If we ever go down under Lerner we will be screwed.

Didn't he increase the wage bill and buy a load of deadwood, He had more money than Sherwood without having to sell and misspent it. No-one to blame but himself.