Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Every contract is a risk. A player could break his leg in the first training session. That's football

Sure it is but some are bigger risks than others obviously.

was a Football Manager joke ;) :P

Edited by Zatman

Austin's been up for sale for £15m since the window opened and despite every club below the top 4 being linked no-one has gone in for him.

Must be some very dodgy medical reports out there I reckon.

This also I presume some clubs are hoping QPR might just cave in nearer the end of the window and accept a lower fee.

Price will surely drop as we get near the window...isn't he out of contract next summer? No chance QPR take even a 10m hit with their financial issues.

I've always said I'd take Austin...more so with all the creative players we've signed.

Price will surely drop as we get near the window...isn't he out of contract next summer? No chance QPR take even a 10m hit with their financial issues.

Depends, they might take the gamble on him getting them promoted if he does he is worth losing for free.

Depends, they might take the gamble on him getting them promoted if he does he is worth losing for free.

Their side is nowhere near as good as the team that undeservedly mugged Derby two years ago.

And even though he's a far more likeable man, Chris Ramsey is nowhere near as good a manager at Redknapp so I don't see QPR going on any mass winning runs.

They'll sell Austin, might even be a deadline day deal. To who, who knows? There are plenty of clubs who still need a striker, Newcastle, Spurs, West Ham, us. 

Their side is nowhere near as good as the team that undeservedly mugged Derby two years ago.

And even though he's a far more likeable man, Chris Ramsey is nowhere near as good a manager at Redknapp so I don't see QPR going on any mass winning runs.

They'll sell Austin, might even be a deadline day deal. To who, who knows? There are plenty of clubs who still need a striker, Newcastle, Spurs, West Ham, us. 

I agree with the first two lines, I'm less sure on the final one.

Selling him, especially on deadline day ends any hope of promotion, I totally agree that clubs will go in for him towards the end of the window though.

I wondered aswell but last I read was they were negotiating it down with the football league to about 10m which is what they got as a sell on for Sterling.

I don't quite understand how they didn't get a transfer embargo which happened to Forest and Blackburn. Their wage bill must still be ridiculous as they've still got people like Kranjaer, Sandro and Leroy Fer at the club.

Austin being available for free is probably the main issue , why risk 15mil now when you can get him for free in 12 months ?

Alternatively clubs could wait till Jan and try and get him on the cheap then.

Austin being available for free is probably the main issue , why risk 15mil now when you can get him for free in 12 months ?

Alternatively clubs could wait till Jan and try and get him on the cheap then.

I feel that if we want Austin, then we'll have to pay for him this summer. If we wait to get him on a 'free', I feel we are allowing a club in a better position than us like Liverpool or Spurs to steal him.

It's only my opinion, but I think that if you add Austin to what we've already got, and a few of our new signings hit good form, then you've potentially got a Top 10 side there.

Is that worth an extra £15m?

We've done pretty well in the transfer window. We've got quality just about everywhere on the pitch, and all we really need is a decent striker.

But we've really spent loads of money, so we need to be a bit sensible about it. Instead of spending another ten million or so on a really good striker, maybe what we'll do is spend about three million on someone cheap who doesn't score goals, like we did last time we had a decent squad.

• Like 1

In fairness, I don't think our squad is anywhere near the 08-09 side. I think that might be a factor for Lerner tbh. Are we going to go down? Probably not. Are we going to challenge Europe? Probably not. So is he going to sanction a big move? Probably not.

In fairness, I don't think our squad is anywhere near the 08-09 side. I think that might be a factor for Lerner tbh. Are we going to go down? Probably not. Are we going to challenge Europe? Probably not. So is he going to sanction a big move? Probably not.

Would that team challenge now though ?

The top teams and league as whole have really improved.

Would that team challenge now though ?

The top teams and league as whole have really improved.

What made it all the more unforgivable back then was that it was in January and we were in 3rd. Yeah, the other teams have improved since those days but hopefully we've learned from making the mistake of "why spend a heap of money on something that will do the job when you can save a bit of money buying something that won't". But I do get what PC is saying - that we don't have as much to gain by spending the money now as we did then.

Edited by CrackpotForeigner