Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Austin may prove to be more but I think it's a reasonable fear.

Ultimately it wouldn't be all that different to when O'Neill signed Harewood who had scored a similar number of goals in one PL season.

Harewood was interesting. He had a very good year for newly promoted West ham, then the following year he was really bad. Like exceptionally bad. Then we bought him. 

And to be fair on Charlie Austin, he has been scoring loads of goals for season after season. Yes it was in lower divisions, but we bought Gestede because he scored a lot of goals in a lower division. Austin at least scored a lot of goals in the premiership. I think we should trying a 13 million bid. We desperately need someone like Austin up top. 

That was kind of the point I was making, it is entirely possible that Austin could follow up last season with a 2nd season like Harewood's.

As it happens I think Austin is a decent player and unlikely to be a one season wonder but its a lot of money to have to offer to find out, especially given his questionable medical condition.

As for £13m, weren't Leicester reported to have had a bid of that amount turned down earlier this summer?

Ultimately it wouldn't be all that different to when O'Neill signed Harewood who had scored a similar number of goals in one PL season.

Harewood was interesting. He had a very good year for newly promoted West ham, then the following year he was really bad. Like exceptionally bad. Then we bought him. 

And to be fair on Charlie Austin, he has been scoring loads of goals for season after season. Yes it was in lower divisions, but we bought Gestede because he scored a lot of goals in a lower division. Austin at least scored a lot of goals in the premiership. I think we should trying a 13 million bid. We desperately need someone like Austin up top. 

That was kind of the point I was making, it is entirely possible that Austin could follow up last season with a 2nd season like Harewood's.

As it happens I think Austin is a decent player and unlikely to be a one season wonder but its a lot of money to have to offer to find out, especially given his questionable medical condition.

As for £13m, weren't Leicester reported to have had a bid of that amount turned down earlier this summer?

Football is a risky business. I currently don't feel comfortable with just Ayew, Gabby, Gestede, and Kozak as our strikers. It seems Kozak is not really rated, Ayew has struggled early on, Gabby is poo, and Gestede is a complete unknown. I think we have to take a risk and go for someone. We were in for Adebayor who also is a major risk. He hasn't really produced in a couple of seasons either and he'd cost a lot in wages. I'd rather see the money go to someone younger. 

I wasn't aware of the 13 million bid. We could hold off and see if QPR will take less than the 15, but I think it's worth just paying up. 

Oulare = want

Hasn't shown anything in this game so far anyway.been bossed and bullied by Blind and Smalling .

Can't beat Man Utd?

He'll fit right in.

He honestly doesn't even look like he is trying . A very poor cameo from him.

Football is a risky business. I currently don't feel comfortable with just Ayew, Gabby, Gestede, and Kozak as our strikers. It seems Kozak is not really rated, Ayew has struggled early on, Gabby is poo, and Gestede is a complete unknown. I think we have to take a risk and go for someone. We were in for Adebayor who also is a major risk. He hasn't really produced in a couple of seasons either and he'd cost a lot in wages. I'd rather see the money go to someone younger. 

I wasn't aware of the 13 million bid. We could hold off and see if QPR will take less than the 15, but I think it's worth just paying up. 

Just checked, they were supposed to have bid £12m in early July and it was rejected.

I do agree that ideally we need another striker and personally I'd have welcomed/would welcome Adebayor, in fall knowledge of the risks. As for costing a lot, Adebayor would cost in the region of £5m for the season which is probably about a third of what Austin would cost to buy before wages.

I agree football is a risky business but in many ways Austin is actually a bigger risk than Adebayor.

Anyway, I don't think we've got £15m to pay out for a player.

How is £15 million for a proven (yes one season but still did it at the top level for a shite team ) English goal scorer in the prime of his career a lot of money??

Yet I bet you didn't say £10 million was alot for Ayew a guy who let's face it has NEVER proven to be a goalscorer even in a championship standard league like the French.

I swear people on here have an agenda against English players. If he was called Austinhio from Brazil who had one great season you wouldn't be saying he was over priced. Yet if its an English playet its the same old 'ooo one season wonder remember Marcus Stewart, blah'. Benteke had one good season yet when Tottenham were meant to be set to bid £20 million people on here were saying it wasnt enough. £15 million for Austin a 26 year old who scored 18 goals last year in the premiership is a more then fair price.

Edited by donnie

How is £15 million for a proven (yes one season but still did it at the top level for a shite team ) English goal scorer in the prime of his career a lot of money??

Yet I bet you didn't say £10 million was alot for Ayew a guy who let's face it has NEVER proven to be a goalscorer even in a championship standard league like the French.

I swear people on here have an agenda against English players. If he was called Austinhio from Brazil who had one great season you wouldn't be saying he was over priced. Yet if its an English playet its the same old 'ooo one season wonder remember Marcus Stewart, blah'. Benteke had one good season yet when Tottenham were meant to be set to bid £20 million people on here were saying it wasnt enough. £15 million for Austin a 26 year old who scored 18 goals last year in the premiership is a more then fair price.

Because £15m is a lot of money, when did we last spend £15m on a player? Been a while hasn't it.

Granted its not a lot in todays market but relative to our budgets a huge amount and in my opinion it would be a risk for the reasons I've already stated. You or anyone else can disagree with that, its just my opinion.

As for Ayew, the fee is undisclosed but was reported to be circa £8m so almost half the fee for Austin and you'd imagine lower wages. But yes Ayew is a risk but a cheaper one. Plus he doesn't have the medical questions hanging over him oh and Ayew is 3 years younger.

I can't talk for anyone else but I personally find accusations of some agenda against English players frankly more than a little silly. I couldn't careless about a players nationality if they can improve us, I'd imagine for the vast majority of people that is the case.

Oh and I didn't say Austin was over priced but I would point out nobody has paid it.

• Like 1

As a player I think Austin is easily worth the money. Marlon Harewood he is not. 

However he may be a Dean Ashton. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with us paying £15m for a player with a hole in his knee and a shoulder that just will not stay in the socket. 

• Like 1

As a player I think Austin is easily worth the money. Marlon Harewood he is not.

However he may be a Dean Ashton. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with us paying £15m for a player with a hole in his knee and a shoulder that just will not stay in the socket.

Im not sure that Lerner will be comfortable paying £15m for anyone, so you can probably rest easy!