Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Oulare on the bench tonight.

:detect:

I heard on a podcast previewing the game from a Belgian sports writer that he hasn't been up to scratch, that he isn't ready for the big time.

Football Weekly?

Yeah I heard that too.

Sergi Darder is the only one I can think of who we have been linked to from Malaga. Maybe it's someone completely different who we haven't been linked with yet.

The more I think about it the more and more I want Charlie Austin , with all the talent we have behind the strikers now I think he would thrive in our team , and if he was to score 20 goals this season which we know he is capable of . Then 15 million in today's market is a bargain . IMO

Or could just stick with gabby

The more I think about it the more and more I want Charlie Austin , with all the talent we have behind the strikers now I think he would thrive in our team , and if he was to score 20 goals this season which we know he is capable of . Then 15 million in today's market is a bargain . IMO

It's a good point. We have the creativity, we need a bit of intelligence upfront, not just a trio of pace merchants.

• Like 1

Or someone else.

Personally I think Austin is a one season wonder and would be surprised if he maintained his level.

Oulare on the bench tonight.

:detect:

I heard on a podcast previewing the game from a Belgian sports writer that he hasn't been up to scratch, that he isn't ready for the big time.

Football Weekly?

Yeah I heard that too.

Sergi Darder is the only one I can think of who we have been linked to from Malaga. Maybe it's someone completely different who we haven't been linked with yet.

You two can get **** with your logic and sound reasoning!

;)

• Like 1

Darder is a central midfielder, no?

This would give us Westwood, Gana, Sanchez, Veretout and him battling for places.

Whilst I love the depth of the potential squad, I do worry whether bringing in so many at once just works against the settling in. Gana, Westwood and Veretout would be our first choice central midfield at the moment (assuming 4-3-3), so I'd rather see them given a run and a chance to settle a partnership without throwing more rotation in.

I'm getting concerned that our team won't 'gel' until it's too late by introducing something new every other game.

Edited by Qwpzxjor1

Darder?

No no no, the one thing we don't need is another Central midfielder who'll need time to settle. We have a potentially fantastic midfield, if Veretout needs time to settle, then we should sign cover, not another player in the same situation.

Austin may prove to be more but I think it's a reasonable fear.

Ultimately it wouldn't be all that different to when O'Neill signed Harewood who had scored a similar number of goals in one PL season.

Harewood was interesting. He had a very good year for newly promoted West ham, then the following year he was really bad. Like exceptionally bad. Then we bought him. 

And to be fair on Charlie Austin, he has been scoring loads of goals for season after season. Yes it was in lower divisions, but we bought Gestede because he scored a lot of goals in a lower division. Austin at least scored a lot of goals in the premiership. I think we should trying a 13 million bid. We desperately need someone like Austin up top. 

Or someone else.

Personally I think Austin is a one season wonder and would be surprised if he maintained his level.

Austin has been a pretty consistent goalscorer for a few years now, albeit only one of those seasons in the prem. But he certainly has stepped up at every level so far, and even if he didn't hit 20 next season I don't think he'd be too far off.

The sad, slightly ironic thing is that Benteke is the ideal type of striker to have playing with our attacking midfielders. Maybe I've been spoiled for 3 years, but everyone I can think of seems so underwhelming and I fear won't be on the same wavelength as Grealish or Gil. A fired up Adebayor is the closest thing but that's not happening :(