Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Here's how I see the squad so far.

Really glad we signed Traore as we didn't have a proper winger who gets to the byline in the squad at all before today.

I'd be surprised if we were in for Keita as it looks like he plays as a left sided forward and we've already got Sinclair and Gabby who can play there (Grealish as well if necessary).

Would love another CB but we've already got Richards and Okore who play right sided and Clark and Baker for left side plus Crespo as cover so not sure if it's that much of a necessity.

Think we could do with another central midfielder as we've only got 4 first teamers in Sanchez, Westwood, Gueye and Veretout and we often play with 3 in there. Tom Carroll as a back up makes sense.

Don't need a number 10 as we have Gill, Grealish and Cole who can play there.

Anothee Striker would be nice as only have Gabby, Ayew and Gestede, none of which are proven goal scorers at Premier league level yet.

Either way, squad is shaping up nicely

Really glad we signed Traore as we didn't have a proper winger who gets to the byline in the squad at all before today.

I'd be surprised if we were in for Keita as it looks like he plays as a left sided forward and we've already got Sinclair and Gabby who can play there (Grealish as well if necessary).

Would love another CB but we've already got Richards and Okore who play right sided and Clark and Baker for left side plus Crespo as cover so not sure if it's that much of a necessity.

Think we could do with another central midfielder as we've only got 4 first teamers in Sanchez, Westwood, Gueye and Veretout and we often play with 3 in there. Tom Carroll as a back up makes sense.

Anothee Striker would be nice as only have Gabby, Ayew and Gestede, none of which are proven goal scorers at Premier league level yet.

Kozak?

I think we're 2 players off being really, really solid everywhere.

I don't rate either Hutton or Bacuna as right backs. Hutton did a Cafu impression for 3 weeks then decided to just turn backwards every time he got the ball. Bacuna is better but never entirely convinced.

Then I don't think any of our existing or new strikers are quite good enough on their own. Gestede maybe, but we don't know how prolific him or Ayew are going to be.

• Like 3

Still think we need a central defender, a right back, a central midfielder (If one of Veretout or Gueye get injured we're looking light in that area) and a striker. I don't think it would be the end of world if we signed another play-maker either, maybe Praet.

Incredibly excited about our business this summer, even though to be totally honest I don't really know much about any of the players have signed - other than they seem to be very highly rated.

My main question is - how the hell has this happened? What has changed at the club to firstly make us go in this direction, and secondly to make us so much more attractive a proposition to the these young players who previously might not have considered us??

Still think we need a central defender, a right back, a central midfielder (If one of Veretout or Gueye get injured we're looking light in that area) and a striker. I don't think it would be the end of world if we signed another play-maker either, maybe Praet.

If we got that lot in we'd have to start selling the players we bought 3 weeks ago!

• Like 3

I think there's a risk of changing too much too soon though.  I think, apart from a centre back, we have plenty now to get to where we want to be this season.  I agree that the squad is not complete yet, but we can maybe re-visit that in January or next summer if and when needs be.  We won't achieve everything in one window and I think we have done everything that we possibly could in this one without overly compromising the cohesion of the squad.  I think we're now at the point where any more than what we've got might start to be counter-productive.  JMHO.

• Like 2

Incredibly excited about our business this summer, even though to be totally honest I don't really know much about any of the players have signed - other than they seem to be very highly rated.

My main question is - how the hell has this happened? What has changed at the club to firstly make us go in this direction, and secondly to make us so much more attractive a proposition to the these young players who previously might not have considered us??

I think we have always been an attractive place to play at...  we just have not had good 'face men' or quality people here to 'sell Aston Villa' to players until now.  Now with Fox and Sherwood we have bright, enthusiastic men who can sell what we have to offer.  A massive club with playing time to offer in the biggest league in the world.

UTV!

• Like 1

Ok, lets forget all this taking a few years to make the squad your own nonsense. Sherwood has gone full on nuclear.

Agree that first team RB and ST depts look our weakest (or just unknown at this point - Crespo/Ayew/Gestede)

Id say LB and CM look short of any strength in depth squad wise.

Wouldn't be surprised at this stage if any of these happen in the next fortnight though.

Guzan out, Steer out on loan, GK in?
Senderos out, Baker out on loan, CB in?

Gardner out on loan, 1 or 2 CM in?

Nzogbia and Tonev to just go away?

Kozak out on loan, ST in?

Of all the recent links, I want Boilesen to happen most for some reason. Ive never seen him play. Just think an Ajax trained international colleague of Okore covering for Amavi can't be a bad thing.

I'll be amazed if we don't sign another midfielder.

A loss shouldn't either. Whatever happens, United are not our season. We can go at the big guns with an air of "so what" or an air of "f**k you" this season because while they're expected to win, we have more than enough tools to play spoiler with, and I expect that we will at points over the season.  Tonight may have come too soon, but then it may not have ;)

And anyway, Positivity is the best kind of tivity :)

• Like 3

Kozak?

I totally forgot about him. Too much going on at the moment, I'm struggling to keep up

Sherwood, Fox, Reilly - the club has always been there - back room staff is what is new.