Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

stats & fifa have created a generation of fans who have no idea what a good footballer is.

please enlighten me.

FIFA means nothing

Stats can be deceptive and don't take into account many varying factors.

It's a generational thing, I personally find it embarrassing that players are judged by some on their FUT potential rating.

stats & fifa have created a generation of fans who have no idea what a good footballer is.

please enlighten me.

FIFA means nothing

It's a generational thing, I personally find it embarrassing that players are judged by some on their FUT potential rating.

I agree to be honest about stats in football.

I find it funny when people try to compare two different players, in two different teams, in two different leagues by stats. It's completely meaningless and holds no bearing on whether player x or player y is better. Football has too many variables for stats like that to hold any weight. 

I've always judged players by what I see, and I always will. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 3

please enlighten me.

FIFA means nothing

I find it funny when people try to compare two different players, in two different teams, in two different leagues by stats. It's completely meaningless and holds no bearing on whether player x or player y is better. Football has too many variables for stats like that to hold any weight. 

Tends to be the best way.

Who would have predicted Michu scoring 20+ goals?

If you'd worked off stats alone you'd have said no chance, sometimes players just find their groove at certain clubs and at certain times in their career, some of the best young prospects have gone on to achieve little or nothing, there are a myriad of factors which dictate how a player will perform.

Added to this, they're not robots, they have personal lives just like the rest of us and anything can happen at any time.

Odubajo has been impressive every time I've watched Brentford. 

Looks a good prospect and at that price it’s a no risk signing.

Would provide us with competition on the right but I doubt it’s us that’s matched the bid.

I am so old that i remember when Joey Beauchamp, Nii Lamptey and Chris Bart Williams was wonderkids in CM 93/94 :)

I am so old I can remember signing Gary Shaw, Kevin Keegan, Terry Butcher and Paul Mariner on Football Manger for the Spectrum in the early 80s!

Damn! Got excited with talk of Balanta for a moment there didnt know you guys had started it - with our run of transfers this summer you almost start to believe anything is possible. He's had nagging injuries this past year that have kept him in and out of side at River, but is real class. Former #10 that River converted to CB in the reserves, so he has great touch for a defender and can flex to play as a left back or 5.

Not sure about the dual ownership mentioned. Eder came up the River reserves and i am pretty sure he was a free agent at some point and chose to resign at River. If the club own 80% of his rights, i thought he owned the other 20% personally as part of the deal.

I am so old that i remember when Joey Beauchamp, Nii Lamptey and Chris Bart Williams was wonderkids in CM 93/94 :)

I am so old I can remember signing Gary Shaw, Kevin Keegan, Terry Butcher and Paul Mariner on Football Manger for the Spectrum in the early 80s!

I was always Gary Shaw when playing in the street with my mates ;-)

• Like 1

stats definitely, i think its become a mixture of an americanism (american sports are obsessed with stats) and lazy journalism

fifa to a lesser extent, they do a fair bit of scouting (FM do even more, probably the biggest player database in the world)

the problem is that its ok to give you a base reference point, if I've never heard of a player I'll have a look at his ratings to see who he is and what he's about, however where it becomes daft is when people try and form opinions or even worse will have arguments based on these ratings, in the real world due to the number of variables that become attached the ratings dont always mean that much

Odubajo has been impressive every time I've watched Brentford.

Looks a good prospect and at that price it’s a no risk signing.

Would provide us with competition on the right but I doubt it’s us that’s matched the bid.

Probably Spurs....they need a right back

• Like 1

Damn! Got excited with talk of Balanta for a moment there didnt know you guys had started it - with our run of transfers this summer you almost start to believe anything is possible. He's had nagging injuries this past year that have kept him in and out of side at River, but is real class. Former #10 that River converted to CB in the reserves, so he has great touch for a defender and can flex to play as a left back or 5.

Not sure about the dual ownership mentioned. Eder came up the River reserves and i am pretty sure he was a free agent at some point and chose to resign at River. If the club own 80% of his rights, i thought he owned the other 20% personally as part of the deal.

Cool, was worried he might be part owned by his agent or third party a la tevez/mascherano. Good to know. Still think we're dreaming. Was talksport wot started it.

stats definitely, i think its become a mixture of an americanism (american sports are obsessed with stats) and lazy journalism

fifa to a lesser extent, they do a fair bit of scouting (FM do even more, probably the biggest player database in the world)

the problem is that its ok to give you a base reference point, if I've never heard of a player I'll have a look at his ratings to see who he is and what he's about, however where it becomes daft is when people try and form opinions or even worse will have arguments based on these ratings, in the real world due to the number of variables that become attached the ratings dont always mean that much

This, basically.

Stats have their place, and sometimes I think they're useful even above and beyond what you see with your eyes.

Basically you can't rely on one or the other. Players shouldn't be judged solely on stats. but similarly, stats shouldn't be dismissed as useless when judging a player's performance.

• Like 1

Unnamed PL club apparently bid £3.5m for 22-year old RB Moses Odubajo from Brentford. Hmmmmm.

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/134095/Show/Moses-Odubajo

not much to go off. those stats aren't exactly pants-wetting.

True, and I'm in no way suggesting we are the unnamed club, but I thought I read somewhere a few months back that he was a potential target.

Widely accepted to be Hull by most Brentford fans. Some talk this morning that Brentford have knocked back the offer but that might just be speculation as most were fairly certain it was a done deal earlier this week. 

He is a good player from what I've seen of him (I went to more Brentford games than Villa last season!). Not sure he'd be an upgrade on anything we've got right now but he could develop further.

Unnamed PL club apparently bid £3.5m for 22-year old RB Moses Odubajo from Brentford. Hmmmmm.

True, and I'm in no way suggesting we are the unnamed club, but I thought I read somewhere a few months back that he was a potential target.

Widely accepted to be Hull by most Brentford fans.

"Unnamed PL club"

Edited by Stevo985

please enlighten me.

FIFA means nothing

Tends to be the best way.

Who would have predicted Michu scoring 20+ goals?

If you'd worked off stats alone you'd have said no chance, sometimes players just find their groove at certain clubs and at certain times in their career, some of the best young prospects have gone on to achieve little or nothing, there are a myriad of factors which dictate how a player will perform.

Added to this, they're not robots, they have personal lives just like the rest of us and anything can happen at any time.

Fair play, but in lieu of actually having witnessed someone play (such as a potential signing) I think stats can shine some light on a player's abilities and weaknesses. also stats provide a good indication of average performance and whether a signing could be risky or not based on that. yes, they'll never tell the whole story but neither do individual opinions on a player's abilities for example. personally I like to combine the two and make an assessment that way. 

Widely accepted to be Hull by most Brentford fans.

"Unnamed PL club"

Good point, well made sir.

The talk is/was that Adubajo was already with Hull but I think that's fairly speculative. The chat on the Grapevine (Brentford's version of VT) was that Hull had bid for Moses and Andre Gray but had offered £9m for the pair. Brentford value Gray alone at that much.

Rough net spend...

Sold:

Benteke - £32.5m - 15% Genk - 10% loyalty fee - £24.4m

Delph - £8m - 10% loyalty fee - £7.2m

Weimann - £2.5m - 10% loyalty fee - £2.25m

Lowton - £1m - 10% loyalty fee - £0.9m

Sylla - £0.5m - 10% loyalty fee - £0.45m

Total Received = £35.2

Bought:

Ayew - £10m + 10% agent fee = £11m

Amavi - £7.7m + 10% agent fee = £8.5m

Gueye - £9m + 10% agent fee = £9.9m

Veretout - £7m + 10% agent fee = £7.7m

Gestede - £6m + 10% agent fee = £6.6m

Sinclair - £2.5m + 10% agent fee = £2.75m

Crespo - £0.5m + 10% agent fee = £0.55m

Total Spent = £47m

Net spend = £15m

Turnover £100m.

20% allocated annually to transfer fund (my speculation) = £20m.

If Randy doesn't put any of his own money in again to subsidise us, that leaves us £5m left to spend.

If Randy puts in the maximum FFP limit of £15m(?) per year, that leaves us another £20m to spend.