Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Didn't spurs fully reinvest the bale money and southampton with the players they lost?

If we spend less than we take in this summer, especially given the increased money, I don't think we should be using agent fees as a way to defend it.

If we make a net gain on transfers this pre season then I won't be attending another home game until the current regime is gone.

It wouldn't shock me, I've long suspected he'd be a target. Just hope we don't get ripped off on the fee.

I would assume if he does come in then Sinclair will be bumped up as a striker.

Maybe, but there's the option of having Gueye/Sanchez sitting with a three behind the striker. So Sinclair/Townsend wide or Grealish, possibly even Jack in the no 10 role. Could work with two holding players

Didn't spurs fully reinvest the bale money and southampton with the players they lost?

If we spend less than we take in this summer, especially given the increased money, I don't think we should be using agent fees as a way to defend it.

I wasn't using agent fees to defend it, but if we sell players to the value of £40m and then only buy players to the value of £40m (a very hypothetical, simplified and probably unrealistic example), then we'll no doubt have people saying "we've spent nothing! Net spend zero!!!!", when there could be other fees to consider, which we won't be aware of.

As bleak as things might look right now, I'm still optimistic.

Fox and Sherwood don't strike me as 'Yes men'.

If Randy sanctions a stupidly low transfer fund then I think 1) Fox will fight it, and ask him whether he wants another relegation scrape, and 2) If it sticks, I think Sherwood will struggle to continue the "We go again. Me and Randy are on the same page" jargon that Lambert used to spin. Sherwood will make it known that he wants more funds.

Why would benteke stay? We are losing onw of our best players and seem like a sinking ship. I have no doubt in my mind that he is iff unfortunately

So if you then prefer Townsend to Austin who on earth in our squad is scoring more than 5 league goals next season?

Another striker that's not Austin. That Swiss kid looks good

Why would benteke stay? We are losing onw of our best players and seem like a sinking ship. I have no doubt in my mind that he is iff unfortunately

So if you then prefer Townsend to Austin who on earth in our squad is scoring more than 5 league goals next season?

They'd need time to adapt to the league which wouldn't be a problem for Austin.

And what happens when they get injured?

We need to sign two strikers when Benteke leaves, one proven in the premier league to take over the goalscoring mantle and yeah someone like Embalo as a more long term development.

Remember we've lost Weimann and Bent as squad options so another area we're very light in currently.

I saw him play for Barnsley last season when I went up to watch them play Walsall.

He actually played very well that day, played at RB and was strong and quick getting forward.

He'd be a similar signing to Lowton. The difference is we have enough options in defence not to just plonk him straight into the first team and expect miracles.

No issue with these signings but we need more of proven quality who can help us climb the league.

Both please

I saw him play for Barnsley last season when I went up to watch them play Walsall.

He actually played very well that day, played at RB and was strong and quick getting forward.

He'd be a similar signing to Lowton. The difference is we have enough options in defence not to just plonk him straight into the first team and expect miracles.

No issue with these signings but we need more of proven quality who can help us climb the league.

Loan back to Barnsley?

With Delph and Benteke going, Sherwood is gonna have to do something very sepcial to keep us out the relegation places. Whoever we bring in, don't look like they are gonna be proven 20 million pound players. Personally I think we are getting ready for another fight to stay on the league.

I know the transfer window isn't closed, but we are desperate for additions. We were desperate before the outgoings. Look at the team that played the FA Cup final, our last competitive game after a season we finished 17th;

Given (gone, replaced by Bunn) WORSE

Hutton

Okore

Vlaar (gone, replaced by Richards) POSSIBLY BETTER, BUT AT CB?

Richardson (still here ffs!)

Cleverley (gone, not replaced) WORSE

Westwood

Delph (gone, replaced with Gueye) WORSE (at least til had time to settle/adapt)

N'Zogbia (still here ffs!)

Benteke (going, no replacements strongly linked) WORSE

Grealish

So even worse than we were. Getting rid of the good players and keeping the rubbish ones! Yes, I'm panicking. It's been a dire situation for years but I can't think of a time in the last twenty years when we've been in this bad a situation. Something needs to happen soon because we're up that creek as it stands.

We've had seasons where we've scraped survival but have always gone in to the next season with renewed hope due to even a minor signing. We have never lost all the better players after struggling badly. Would we have survived last season without Cleverley, Delph and Benteke? 

With Delph and Benteke going, Sherwood is gonna have to do something very sepcial to keep us out the relegation places. Whoever we bring in, don't look like they are gonna be proven 20 million pound players. Personally I think we are getting ready for another fight to stay on the league.

Personally, I don't think Delph is a huge loss at all.  Good player, especially at the level we're at, but incredibly replaceable.  He hasn't actually done much for us at all.

Benteke, on the other hand, would obviously be a big loss.  However, I think he's replaceable for £15/20m to the extent you'd get a similar goal return from a less-good-overall player - if that makes sense.

Looking at the signings and squad, it seems to be that any width next season will be coming from wing backs.  3 centrally at the back, 2 wing backs, 2 "holding" midfielders in front (possibly Gueye more box-to-box), 2 players behind a striker and.... that striker.  Benteke is a much better presence aerially/with width so perhaps some planning is already happening with regards to him leaving and a different style of play?

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

I'm getting annoyed with people already writing Gueye off, Jesus Christ. I personally don't see the obsession with Delph, I think Gueye will be much better. At least he can pass.

FWIW Gueye deal was moving forward way before the Delph one, he was never his replacement. I think we'll get another centre mid.

Edited by mightysasquatch
  • Like 1

More links to Townsend again today 

http://metro.co.uk/2015/07/11/aston-villa-still-targeting-transfer-deal-for-tottenham-hotspur-winger-andros-townsend-despite-15m-price-tag-5290784/?

If we waste half the Benteke money on Townsend i will be livid

Seriously he is not worth 15 million especially when you get players not much worse like Sinclair who go for 2.5 million

We need to strengthen 2 - 3 positions with the money we get not spend a massive chunk on an such an overrated player

Edited by AshVilla

How long is this training camp thingy going to last? I have more faith in us getting things to happen with Timmy in England, even though it's not him actually driving the bargaining sessions.