Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Ok, put it this way. Let's be super optimistic and pretend we will buy everyone we're linked with;

Amavi for £9m

Townsend £15m

Chery £3m

Praet £7m

Boilesen £1m

Still JUST match that figure. And that, in a nutshell, is why I don't think there's a hope in hell of us spending more than we get fom sales.

Is it pure coincidence that those figures total £35m and the potential Benteke money added to Weimann's comes to the same amount?

I cannot help but feel pessimistic about our dealings this summer after yesterday's events. Linked with Gueye and just waiting for a work permit or, was it just waiting for Citeh to confirm that they would take Delph?

I think that we were fooling ourselves thinking that we actually have money to spend. I think it will be a case of going with what we've got if Benteke stays. If so, I'd rather we sell him and do this with £35m :

Amavi £9m

Praet £7m

Austin £14m

Embolo £5m

Try and flog someone else to generate funds for Chery.

Andi went to cover Chery

Barring Austin I would be happy with those other signings.

I would prefer townsend over austin

If benteke stays then the type of wage austin would want to come out of london and the alleged other clubs in for him then i would say getting austin would be silly ( tho i wouldnt be against signing a striker that scored more than benteke last season )

if benteke goes then yes sign austin

we need another striker but if benteke stays which i hope it does it will be hard to convince someone to come and fight him for a place i would of thought

The worst thing would be someone bidding for Benteke on deadline day. We'd end up getting hammered on the fee for his replacement as they know we'd be desperate.

If Benteke is going to leave, the club need to make it happen sooner. I think Liverpool are just waiting to see if they'll have the Sterling money, but as has been said we can't reject it, they could leave it to a minute before the window closes, leaving us with no time to get a replacement in.

Edited by Qwpzxjor1
  • Like 1

Makes little sense to go from the strategy we have in place finally to throwing £15m at Townsend. Almost seems panicky to me. Adebayor is another, makes very little sense for the club. I don't even think our width will come from wingers, Amavi makes more sense as it's our full backs that provide the width.

• Like 1

Why would benteke stay? We are losing onw of our best players and seem like a sinking ship. I have no doubt in my mind that he is iff unfortunately

Firstly i said ( If ) Benteke stays

and secondly 32.5 mill is alot of money even to liverpool especialy if it changes the style of play

Just incase you're going out to buy the new top today… Sorry We've Sold It!..

-------------------Given------------------- 

--Lowton----Herd----Vlaar----Luna---  

--Sylla--Delph--Cleverley--Weimann-- 

---------Benteke-------Bent--------------

Subs To Be Continued… 

Stevens

Helenius 

Edited by Kingman

What's this Barton crap? Have we actually been linked or is this just us being our typically optimistic selves?

I haven't seen us linked with Barton in years. So yeah, it's just the usual VT wrist-slitting.

• Like 2

Delph sold for £8m (documented), Benteke's going for £32.5m (Sherwood said!), Lowton £1m (Skysports), Weimann £2.75m (Guardian), Sylla £1.7m (Skysports) everyone else was a free or end of contract. So £45.95m to spend. Let's say £46m

We'll bend the rules even though he played half the season with us and include Sinclair. With that in mind we've spent £11.5m. So we have £34.5m left to spend! Does anyone think we'll spend that much? Also that would mean we've actually spent nothing this season. And reduced the wages again.

Yes, yes I know the transfer window is open for ages yet but does anyone really believe we're really going to spend another £34.5m or, arguably £55m if you allow for the assumption that a struggling team losing it's best players with a new manager should at least be afforded £20m before sales. I don't think we'll hit either figure but would LOVE to be proven wrong.

Something you haven't taken into account is agent and signing on fees. I agree with you that it's unlikely that we'll spend anywhere near that full £46m, but for every signing we might be paying £500k-£1m worth of extra fees, so there's that to add on. Not to mention sell-on fees that might be due (for example, Genk apparently have a 10% sell-on fee).

The point made in Zatman's original post, that you commented on, is that our spending this year is seemingly different to previous years, which I agree with.

€9m on Gueye is better than £2m on Westwood.

Signing Richards on a free is better than signing Richardson or Cole on frees.

The signing of Bunn is fairly irrelevant, as it's a backup position, and I imagine he'll even be competing with Steer for places in the cup teams.

With Delph looking like he's going, I agree that it doesn't look great right now. But if we continue making signings like Richards (still young, played at a high level, looking to reignite his career, English and a huge unit) and Gueye (a decent transfer fee, good stats in France, supposedly wanted by clubs like Southampon), then we'll be heading in the right direction, and it's a clear change to the direction of previous seasons.

Edited by Rob182

Didn't spurs fully reinvest the bale money and southampton with the players they lost?

If we spend less than we take in this summer, especially given the increased money, I don't think we should be using agent fees as a way to defend it.

• Like 1

What's happened to the cambiasso link?

Delph and cleverley out, cambiasso and gueye (and hopefully 1 more) in and then Gardner stepping up

I am with noël though, Sinclair, Richards and bunn IMO isn't a good start, especially with richards in the centre

Was there ever a Cambiasso link? I remember one last summer before he went to Leicester but haven't seen anything this time around.

was meant to be having a medical about a week ago as his Leicester contract expired. Was around same time Pearson left as well

Townsend is 23 and I think sherwood and Wilkins can really get the best out of him

He isn't final product yet

He has no final product more like...

Why would benteke stay? We are losing onw of our best players and seem like a sinking ship. I have no doubt in my mind that he is iff unfortunately

So if you then prefer Townsend to Austin who on earth in our squad is scoring more than 5 league goals next season?