Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Can't believe we didn't sign a striker

Had we bought Gestede and Ayew today would that have been better?

Given the stance Tim has taken on Kozak and Gabby being Gabby then no.

What stance is that and how is it relevant to the question?

It's relevance is based on hypothetical scenario that we just had Kozak and Gabby as the main strikers and we'd just signed Ayew and Gestede today. The stance is that Tim doesn't quite fancy Kozak, given the reluctance to start him, sometimes not making the first team and his link away from the club

Well, we might see the emergence of Sellars as a result. Who knows.

Disappointed we couldn't sign a striker, but until that gobshite sells up, we'll never get what we need. Always half a job with Lerner.

We're strong enough everywhere except the two areas you cannot afford not to be. In the sticks and up front.

So we roll the dice again, but I reckon we'll be O.K.

Can't believe we didn't sign a striker

Had we bought Gestede and Ayew today would that have been better?

Given the stance Tim has taken on Kozak and Gabby being Gabby then no.

What stance is that and how is it relevant to the question?

It's relevance is based on hypothetical scenario that we just had Kozak and Gabby as the main strikers and we'd just signed Ayew and Gestede today. The stance is that Tim doesn't quite fancy Kozak, given the reluctance to start him, sometimes not making the first team and his link away from the club

So it would have been even better news. 

• Like 1

It far exceeded my expectations both in terms of numbers and seemingly quality too.

I think we will miss not having a 'recognised' striker, but I think once the team gel a bit more and get use to each other's games they'll be more productive.

I am extremely happy with this window when it really comes down to it. Some really rated talent instead of the unknown we have had for some time.

Only worry I do have is nearly every team in the PL has done so this window, never seen something like it.  In the end, it really comes down to how we perform on the pitch(thankfully).

Striking options seems pretty bare right now but Ayew deserves much more time imo and Kozak has certainly deserved some games. It will also help having an older head at the back

and getting all the players fit. We will have so many more answers in the next couple of months. I for one am really excited about this season. Ilori is also pretty interesting, specially since we can buy him.

If I've not missed anyone and got the ages right, I think the 25 man squad will look like this:

1. Guzan
2. Bunn
3. Clark
4. Richards
5. Lescott
6. Gana
7. Sanchez
8. Westwood
9. Veretout
10. Agbonlahor
11. Sinclair
12. Gil
13. Ayew
14. Gestede 
15. Bacuna
16. Hutton
17. Crespo
18. Okore
19. Ilori
20. Richardson
21. Cole
22. Kozak
23. Gardner 
24. Steer
25. N'Zogbia

- Senderos

U21: Amavi, Grealish, Traore, etc.

Could be either Senderos or N'Zogbia to miss out and presumably would have been both if a striker was bought (unless Kozak was going to be shifted to make way). Wouldn't be surprised if Senderos is paid off given the Ilori & Lescott arrivals - he can't be on too bad a wage and only signed for 2 years. 

Fairly happy with this summers business.

Yes we still have a few weaknesses in the squad but that was to be expected considering how bad we've been for the last couple of seasons.

It is impossible to rebuild an entire squad in one window and get it to work from day one.

It will take time to gel, and goals will be an issue since Benteke is irreplaceable, but I think many of our signings are really exciting. In particular Amavi and Adama.

Now It's down to Tim and his team to make everything work

If benteke is irreplaceable then what's the point of buying a striker? Benteke is replaceable as was Andy gray as was any other player.

Benteke is hard to replace but not irreplaceable and if he is I'm glad we didn't spunk it on a striker who couldn't replace him. I'd rather we spend it like we have. And apart from a blatant offside goal that should never have been Sinclair is out scoring him and benteke allegedly plays for a much better team.

Going to struggle to score goals . Going to be a tough season again

Grealish, Traore, Gil, Sinclair, Gestede, Ayew, Kozak and Gabby. I would be astonished if we can't get goals from that lot. Would take some poor management. 

Ha.

• Like 1

Grealish, Traore, Gil, Sinclair, Gestede, Ayew, Kozak and Gabby. I would be astonished if we can't get goals from that lot. Would take some poor management.

This. Agreed DDID knicker wetting by some for no reason going on in VT recently Edited by nazvfc

Maybe.

We created fack all v Man. United, Swansea scored two past them and could've quite easily hit four. Maybe harsh comparing us to Swansea who I think could sneak 6th this year but that is the standard.

We didn't create much at Bournemouth really, were a bit better at Palace but still didn't really look a consistant threat until Adama came on and yes scoring two v Sunderland was good but then Leicester scored 4 and Norwich scored three so they are the worst defence in the league.

I think first things first we need to get Grealish and Adama fit and in the same team as those two either side of whoever is the main striker (probably Sinclair) will create chances I'm sure so we'll see if any of them are up to finishing clinically on a regular basis.

It's been a great window as far as I'm concerned.

That we've managed to permanently get rid of Sylla, Tonev and Given as well as somehow shifting Luna is a massive bonus.

Yes we haven't replaced benteke but that was always going to be a difficult task with our size and stature, really struggling to understand the level of frustration on here though when we have signed Sinclair, Ayew, Gestede & Traore.

We created a lot of chances against Sunderland and deserved to win the game comfortably whilst lacking some of our best attacking players, who knows, maybe we will struggle again, maybe even go down finally but I don't think we will. I think we'll be a decent mid table side this year.

How many of Gestede's goals last season were scored with his feet, am I being harsh thinking that he needs it on his head to score?

Good question. Out of 22 goals last season he scored nine with his head, meaning he's even more lethal from the ground.

• Like 2