Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

I thought we had people in the background that deal with the mechanics of the transfer or do people really believe it's like football manager and Tim does everything.

The only thing Tim does is suggest players that he feels he can work with to play football his way then other people sort out the deal.

Agreed, it would be other people that would do the bulk of the work I would assume although I'm assuming Tim would sit down with the player and talk about the football but Tom Fox and the Legal team would nut out the contract before the medical team complete the medical

Still have Cissokho to sell on as well, then I would like us to bring in Praet, Darder or Mendy, Oulare, Adebayor and a leader for the back 4. Someone who can captain the team.

As I said a couple of days ago, Swansea will take 9-10 million for Ashley Williams. I know hes nearly 31 but hes a quality CB with prem experience and happens to be captain of Swansea and Wales. He must have 2 good years left in him.
crystal palace bound I think

I read an article the other day about Formula 1 where it was stated that the desired result was to just break even every year as it is no good finishing down the grid and having money in the bank.

You would have thought that Fox would have a similar philosophy down Villa Park, the higher we finish the more prize money we make, the better sponsorship deals we can broker, the bigger crowds we attract and the better players we can sign. Rinse and repeat.

Now even allowing for FFP we must surely have been in a position to spend £15 million as we spent £6 million last year but then also tried to buy Cleverley for £8 million (making £14 million). You would hope that Lerner and Fox are not going to penny pinch and only spend what we have brought in in sales (or even less) as that gamble could end up costing the club 10 times more and would certainly mean that Lerner would not be able to sell the club for anywhere near that valuation.

Tom Fox needs to prove he knows what he is doing between now and the start of the season or he might find he comes under a bit more scrutiny by the Villa fans than he has had so far.

• Like 2

I read an article the other day about Formula 1 where it was stated that the desired result was to just break even every year as it is no good finishing down the grid and having money in the bank.

You would have thought that Fox would have a similar philosophy down Villa Park, the higher we finish the more prize money we make, the better sponsorship deals we can broker, the bigger crowds we attract and the better players we can sign. Rinse and repeat.

Now even allowing for FFP we must surely have been in a position to spend £15 million as we spent £6 million last year but then also tried to buy Cleverley for £8 million (making £14 million). You would hope that Lerner and Fox are not going to penny pinch and only spend what we have brought in in sales (or even less) as that gamble could end up costing the club 10 times more and would certainly mean that Lerner would not be able to sell the club for anywhere near that valuation.

Tom Fox needs to prove he knows what he is doing between now and the start of the season or he might find he comes under a bit more scrutiny by the Villa fans than he has had so far.

Speculate to accumulate ...weren't we saying that about Doug all those years ago 

The early start to the season I think is bad for us as some of the players we have to shift are the ones clubs take on deadline day when they desperate.I also think Levy will mess us around for Adebayor most of the window too.

Please don't hate me but I think if we get Adebayor on loan that could be a good bit of business. I don't really want him but we have a huge gap to fill with Benteke gone now and if we got him on loan this would patch this up for a season and allow us to spend £40m else where, which were in desperate need of. I wouldn't want to buy Adebayor though. 

• Like 1

Speculate to accumulate ...weren't we saying that about Doug all those years ago 

The early start to the season I think is bad for us as some of the players we have to shift are the ones clubs take on deadline day when they desperate.I also think Levy will mess us around for Adebayor most of the window too.

We sure were and it remains as appropriate today as it was back then. 

I actually think we are in a good position and should trust the current strategy. We have bought in four good quality players so far, not like the previous buy cheap and hope strategy under Lambert.

Getting Adebayor and a quality young striker with potential to sell on for a bigger fee in 3 years would actually be a smart piece of business. It's what we've done with Benteke. Adebayor will also provide good experience for the younger players.

I do think we need a 'captain' for the team - either a quality midfielder or centre back. 3 more quality signings and I'd be very happy going into the season.

After all Tonev has finally scored - what's not to be positive about!

• Like 1

I actually think we are in a good position and should trust the current strategy. We have bought in four good quality players so far, not like the previous buy cheap and hope strategy under Lambert.

Getting Adebayor and a quality young striker with potential to sell on for a bigger fee in 3 years would actually be a smart piece of business. It's what we've done with Benteke. Adebayor will also provide good experience for the younger players.

I do think we need a 'captain' for the team - either a quality midfielder or centre back. 3 more quality signings and I'd be very happy going into the season.

Four?

are you including Bunn? As he is an absolutely typical Lambert style signing. Not saying he's bad, just saying.

also anyone one know why Senderos hasn't featured in any pre-season or U21 games? Is he still injured? He's not played in a ridiculously long time.

Edited by VillanousOne

Four?

are you including Bunn? As he is an absolutely typical Lambert style signing. Not saying he's bad, just saying.

also anyone one know why Senderos hasn't featured in any pre-season or U21 games? Is he still injured? He's not played in a ridiculously long time.

I think they're all "Lambert style signings" just worth a bit more money. 

Probably evidence that the manager doesn't have sole control over the transfers at AVFC anymore.

In fact, I'd say Bunn is pretty untypical of the transfer style when Lambert was here. He's not young for a start.

Edited by Stevo985

Four?

He has played - vs braga I think,

Four?

I think they're all "Lambert style signings" just worth a bit more money. 

Probably evidence that the manager doesn't have sole control over the transfers at AVFC anymore.

In fact, I'd say Bunn is pretty untypical of the transfer style when Lambert was here. He's not young for a start.

So you are saying Amavi is similar to Luna or Bennet - a French under-21 player? Richards similar to Senderous? Sorry, but my view of the player we have bought so far is a little different to yours. And my four, I am excluding Bunn but including Sinclair. Who scored goals for us last season - not like Tonev...

We now have 5/6 positions covered in the team in my opinion ready for the season. That still leaves 5 or 6 more needed to make an impression on the league. It's not impossible.

GK - Guzan  (I think Bunn will be decent cover so fair enough signing)

RB -

CB - Richards

CB - Clark

LB - Amavi

RM -       (possibly Bacuna if he steps up but I still think we can do better)

CM - 

CM - Gueye

LM - Sinclair

STR -      (one of these slots will probably taken by Gil or Grealish but we still need two new strikers)

STR -

The empty positions are what I'd be going after. A lot to do but I think we could still have a strong team this season. 

We now have 5/6 positions covered in the team in my opinion ready for the season. That still leaves 5 or 6 more needed to make an impression on the league. It's not impossible.

RB -

CB - Richards

CB - Clark

LB - Amavi

CM - 

CM - Gueye

LM - Sinclair

STR -      (one of these slots will probably taken by Gil or Grealish but we still need two new strikers)

STR -

The empty positions are what I'd be going after. A lot to do but I think we could still have a strong team this season.

I would still prefer a centre back and use Richards as a right back...but that might not be the plan.

RB -

CB - Richards

CB - Clark

LB - Amavi

CM - 

CM - Gueye

LM - Sinclair

STR -

I don't think we necessarily need a RB (Hutton with Bacuna as cover) and not two midfielders (Westwood, Sanchez, depending on formation Gil, Grealish..). One new should be enough. We do need two strikers though, Ade and Oulare I would like. We also need a CB.

• Like 1

Damsonwood it is a good way of looking at it but I think you need to alter the formation and add a couple of names...

RB - Bacuna / Hutton

CB - Richards

CB - Clark

LB - Amavi

CM - ????????????       

CM - Gueye

CM - ???????????

LFR - Grealish / Gil      

CFR - ???????????

RFR - Sinclair

So if push comes to shove we need another midfielder or two and a striker or two.  I'd like a new centreback as well but we cant have everything can we