Mobile Data Speeds

mykeyb

As the mobile contract thread has closed I thought I would follow on here.

I am currently on Three and cannot get a 4G signal either where I live or where I work despite the coverage map on the Three website insisting I should get good 4G coverage outdoors. (B62 Postcode)

I decided that before changing I would check what coverage I could get from some of the other operators and got a couple of PAYG sims to try.

On Three at home I was getting

9.49mb down, 2.18mb up and Ping of 48, that was on their HSPDA+

on EE which I can get a 4G signal I got

6.02mb down, 8.55mb up and a Ping of 52.

Lastly I tried Vodaphone which only offered a 3G signal.

20.14mb down, 2.57mb up and a Ping of 34.

So the only operator that offers 4G where I live isnt exactly the fastest.

If it's any help, I live in That Lundun and have both a 3g and a 4g fruit-based phone. I work centrally so you'd expect I get the best coverage going and I can spot no difference between the two. I guess it depends on how much you'll be downloading but in considering my upcoming upgrade, I am seriously considering sticking with 3g on my personal phone.

I move around quite a lot on a normal day simply because of the nature of my job. Live in Nuneaton (town centre) work in Birmingham (city centre) and travel to London (Westminster / Wembley) most days. Just going on the results of the speed test app I seem to get 12-15 megabits up and down most of the time in those locations. That's on three's 4G network using an iPhone 6 plus.

Seems to vary massively for me.

When I'm waiting for my bus in the morning by the airport the 4G signal I'm getting is so quick. I'll do a test next time I'm there. Podcasts download almost instantly.

But where I do my Spanish lessons, I get full 4G signal, according to my phone, but the speed is crap. Comfortably less than 1mb. I have to watch YouTUbe in 360p and even then it needs to buffer every now and then.

When I'm waiting for my bus in the morning by the airport the 4G signal I'm getting is so quick. I'll do a test next time I'm there. Podcasts download almost instantly.

But where I do my Spanish lessons, I get full 4G signal, according to my phone, but the speed is crap. Comfortably less than 1mb. I have to watch YouTUbe in 360p and even then it needs to buffer every now and then.

Which network?

Which network?

Giff Gaff

Â