Players you've completely forgotten about

VillaChris

On 17/05/2020 at 20:10, Jimzk5 said:

Didn't taiwo score against villa on his debut? Or was that djibril cisse on his debut for QPR? I remember the score being 2-2 as bent scored a landmark goal (20,000 premier league goal?) 

I had a season ticket at the time and we were so shit under mcleish I got back from work that day and decided not to bother going to the game

I think I made the exact same decision on that same game, wasn’t it a midweek match?

Literally couldn’t be arsed driving 30 miles down the motorway to go and watch what was without doubt the worst football I’ve seen us play.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

just saw a gif that included David Pizarro, more amazing then to discover he played in the Premier League which I certainly dont remember

Yeah Mancini picked him up earlier in his reign. Think he played alongside Jerome Boateng at Man. City which is another forgotten one for a club.

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think I made the exact same decision on that same game, wasn’t it a midweek match?

Literally couldn’t be arsed driving 30 miles down the motorway to go and watch what was without doubt the worst football I’ve seen us play.

It was one of the better McLeish home games, good comeback from 2-0 down (one where Warnock scored a truely comical own goal in the first half) and we should've won it at the end when QPR player handled on the line.

Still true to this day that I'd rather go to a QPR game on a Saturday or midweek then watch us from kick off retreat to 18 yard box and just defend v likes of Man. City (and still lose the game convincingly). We've actually had some really good games v QPR at home in recent times, the 3-2 win in Lambert's first season which played a big part in staying up and then the 3-3 under Sherwood when Benteke scored a hat trick so it's a good fixture for goals if they come up again.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 3

I can't rememer whether I forgot about this player or whether I've only just learned of his existence but ... Souleymane Coulibaly. Also Ryo Miyaichi who was at Arsenal.

• Like 2

On 25/05/2020 at 01:00, Zatman said:

Ademola Lookman, long time ago now he was a highly touted Everton player. Not moved on since

Horrendous miss in their first game back. 

Edited by Hornso
Added vid

On 17/05/2020 at 15:10, Jimzk5 said:

Didn't taiwo score against villa on his debut? Or was that djibril cisse on his debut for QPR? I remember the score being 2-2 as bent scored a landmark goal (20,000 premier league goal?) 

I had a season ticket at the time and we were so shit under mcleish I got back from work that day and decided not to bother going to the game

His 100th PL goal. Think he only scored 6 or 7 after that :( 

Also it was without a doubt the best game under McLeish. It was a false dawn as we'd soon become accustomed to under Lambert. We were actually playing nice football with Ireland and Keane running the show (they really were a joy to watch for however brief they played together) and N'Zogbia when he was still remotely arsed (he was our big money signing that summer after all). It just never clicked like that again and only got worse.

10 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Also it was without a doubt the best game under McLeish. It was a false dawn as we'd soon become accustomed to under Lambert. We were actually playing nice football with Ireland and Keane running the show (they really were a joy to watch for however brief they played together) and N'Zogbia when he was still remotely arsed (he was our big money signing that summer after all). It just never clicked like that again and only got worse.

Chelsea away was our best game under McLeish. Another in which Ireland and Nzogbia looked good. I also really enjoyed Wolves away although that was just two s*** teams scrapping away with some brilliance from Keane to win it.

Norwich at home was a little bit more entertaining but as said it's hardly a long list of candidates.

• Like 1

Said before start of McLeish season we did well, Bent and Gabby were playing well , Petrov looked revitalised and the defence was solid. We were one of the last teams unbeaten. 

Squad was too small and injuries piled up badly. Check a McLeish team at start of that season to one around March. Complete change, sure Jack made the bench one week. He was about 10

Watched an interview with McCleish and Matt Kendrick recently. It was really difficult for him, he and his family had to contend with hatred from both sets of supporters. He said he didn't realise the extent of the rivalry between the two clubs. Keane he said was a class above everybody else. He lost Bent through injury and Petrov through illness. Didn't Gabby get injured too. 

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Watched an interview with McCleish and Matt Kendrick recently. It was really difficult for him, he and his family had to contend with hatred from both sets of supporters. He said he didn't realise the extent of the rivalry between the two clubs. Keane he said was a class above everybody else. He lost Bent through injury and Petrov through illness. Didn't Gabby get injured too. 

Gabby, Dunne and Given as well, Collins might have missed a lot. I remember Cuellar and Clark playing together a bit. Clark, Herd and Albrighton played a lot of games that season

Adam Lallana is linked on a free to pretty much all the clubs around us in the table. Just turned 32, couldn't have said if he was 28 or 35.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sne said:

Adam Lallana is linked on a free to pretty much all the clubs around us in the table. Just turned 32, couldn't have said if he was 28 or 35.

snap him up he'd be a good signing for us 

20 minutes ago, PaulC said:

snap him up he'd be a good signing for us 

He really wouldnt, he has played 40 league games in 3 seasons and started about 6 in the last 2 season

Drinkwater has better fitness

Edited by Zatman

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

Said before start of McLeish season we did well, Bent and Gabby were playing well , Petrov looked revitalised and the defence was solid. We were one of the last teams unbeaten. 

Squad was too small and injuries piled up badly. Check a McLeish team at start of that season to one around March. Complete change, sure Jack made the bench one week. He was about 10

We had a very easy start to that season, hardly played a top 8 team until about November IIRC and we still drew loads and struggled to score despite actually putting out some attacking line ups on paper.

Think the turning point ultimately was losing meekly at Spurs when we put Hutton on right of midfield. That lost a lot of fans giving him time and we went on a poor run after that especially at VP.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Manuel Fernandes a blink and you miss him star, was a lot of hype about him at Everton as he is a cult hero. He barely played for them 😂

We were linked to that Miguel guy every other week one summer transfer window. He was mediocre right back in Spain. Also that summer when everyone was convinced Jose Bosingwa was going to be the best right back in football history. He would've fitted in well in 15/16 given his conduct at QPR when they went down.

Mind you MON refusing to sign a right back for an actual year sent everyone crazy, I was calling for us to sign Pascal Chimbonda one January.:lol:

Edited by VillaChris

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We were linked to that Miguel guy every other week one summer transfer window. He was mediocre right back in Spain. Also that summer when everyone was convinced Jose Bosingwa was going to be the best right back in football history. He would've fitted in well in 15/16 given his conduct at QPR when they went down.

Mind you MON refusing to sign a right back for an actual year sent everyone crazy, I was calling for us to sign Pascal Chimbonda one January.:lol:

Miguel was a pretty good right back in fairness but held back by niggly injuries and not a great Valencia team. Offered more as a modern full back than Ferreira who was more defensive for Portugal

Â