re-taken penalty 5 days later

Zatman

England women: Leah Williamson penalty books Euro spot

Leah Williamson prepared to re-take her nerve-wracking penalty against Norway by going "for a sleep".

The England Under-19 player had to wait five days to take the spotkick after an unprecedented intervention by Uefa.

Williamson had converted the original penalty on Saturday only for the German referee to mistakenly cancel it out.

Uefa ordered it to be taken again on Thursday - and Williamson netted to book England's place in the European Championships.

The amazing scenes took place in Belfast five days after England and Norway had initially met.

During the first game, England were trailing 2-1 when they were awarded a penalty in injury time at the end of the match.

_82221848_leah_williams_getty_2.jpg

Leah Williamson's retaken penalty came five days after her initial effort was disallowed

Williamson scored it, but German official Marija Kurtes ruled it out after ruling some England players had encroached into the 18-yard box.

The penalty should have been retaken but Kurtes decided to award Norway a free-kick.

Uefa, which governs European football, then intervened and said the penalty should be retaken - the first time it had taken such a decision.

Before that could happen, England needed to beat Switzerland earlier in the day to keep alive their chances of qualification.

They did - 3-1 - leaving Williamson with the task of scoring her penalty to ensure England made the finals in Israel.

"I went for a sleep," she told BBC Sport. "There was nothing else to do. I was pacing around last night, so I didn't want to do that again."

Williamson said her mother managed to change her flights so she could stay to watch the penalty re-take.

"That was really nice," said the Arsenal defender.

England's qualifying group - results

Apr 4: Norway 2-2 England (completed on Apr 9)

Apr 4: Switzerland 1-0 Northern Ireland

Apr 6: Norway 2-0 Switzerland

Apr 6: England 9-1 Northern Ireland

Apr 9: Switzerland 1-3 England

Apr 9: Northern Ireland 1-8 Norway

The rematch was officiated by a different referee, after Kurtes was sent home because of her error.

Both teams had to resume the game with the same players who were on the field when the penalty was taken in the original match, although England could have changed who took the penalty.

Both sides emerged at the Seaview Stadium in Belfast and headed straight to the Norway penalty area, rather than the centre circle.

Having already scored a penalty in the win over Switzerland, Williamson was forced to wait a few more nervous moments as the referee ensured all the players were outside the box.

But she coolly placed her spot-kick into the bottom left-hand corner to make it 2-2, leaving Norway just enough time to kick-off before the final whistle was blown and England celebrations could begin.

England women's head coach Mark Sampson, speaking after the senior side's 2-1 friendly win over China, was full of praise for Williamson.

"To take that penalty and the fact she has scored it speaks volumes for the character in the team and the personality she has," he said.

The rematch was officiated by a different referee, after Kurtes was sent home because of her error.

Both teams had to resume the game with the same players who were on the field when the penalty was taken in the original match, although England could have changed who took the penalty.

The result meant England finished as group winners, but Norway also qualified as the leading runner-up.

England and Norway join Sweden, France, Germany, Denmark, Spain and hosts Israel in the finals, which begin on 15 July.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/32242750

this is a stupid and dangerous decision by UEFA, bigger teams will appeal now on dodgy decisions and cite this game as a reason

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 3

yes but how for example  is that any different than Vidic not getting a red card in the LEague Cup Final. Also a huge mistake regarding the laws of the game  

That is an interpretation of a law. The referee has made a judgement.

In this case, as Stefan said, it was a fundamental mistake in the use of the laws of the game. 

There is a huge difference. This is like a ref giving a penalty for offside. it's not just a mistake in judgement, it's the incorrect application of the laws.

It's a bizarre situation, but short of replaying the whole game I'm not sure what else they could do?

Not at all that was down to interpretation of the law not the actual rule itself.

What I don't understand how she became a quaified ref if she didn't know that rule. 99.9% of supporters would know it. 

yes but how for example  is that any different than Vidic not getting a red card in the LEague Cup Final. Also a huge mistake regarding the laws of the game  

But with the Vidic incident, the decision to send the player off was at the referees discretion (even though it was wrong!!). This was a referee who got a major law of the game wrong, rather than making an incorrect/debatable decision after only getting one view of it.

In this case, as Stefan said, it was a fundamental mistake in the use of the laws of the game. 

There is a huge difference. This is like a ref giving a penalty for offside. it's not just a mistake in judgement, it's the incorrect application of the laws.

It's a bizarre situation, but short of replaying the whole game I'm not sure what else they could do?

well as I didnt want to use it as an example but Ireland request to have their game with France replayed was quashed and rightfully so. Its like them goals that were given that never crossed the line you just get on with it

well as I didnt want to use it as an example but Ireland request to have their game with France replayed was quashed and rightfully so. Its like them goals that were given that never crossed the line you just get on with it

I agree with you there

Again, that was an interpretation of the law in real time. He didn't see the handball so didn't give a foul.

Well i can see why that comparison would be made, but it's still a completely different situation.

The Henry handball could still be put down to referee interpretation. As could the goals that crossed the line.

It's harsh but there is a clear difference there.

England women: Leah Williamson penalty books Euro spot

Leah Williamson prepared to re-take her nerve-wracking penalty against Norway by going "for a sleep".

The England Under-19 player had to wait five days to take the spotkick after an unprecedented intervention by Uefa.

Williamson had converted the original penalty on Saturday only for the German referee to mistakenly cancel it out.

Uefa ordered it to be taken again on Thursday - and Williamson netted to book England's place in the European Championships.

The amazing scenes took place in Belfast five days after England and Norway had initially met.

During the first game, England were trailing 2-1 when they were awarded a penalty in injury time at the end of the match.

_82221848_leah_williams_getty_2.jpg

Leah Williamson's retaken penalty came five days after her initial effort was disallowed

Williamson scored it, but German official Marija Kurtes ruled it out after ruling some England players had encroached into the 18-yard box.

The penalty should have been retaken but Kurtes decided to award Norway a free-kick.

Uefa, which governs European football, then intervened and said the penalty should be retaken - the first time it had taken such a decision.

Before that could happen, England needed to beat Switzerland earlier in the day to keep alive their chances of qualification.

They did - 3-1 - leaving Williamson with the task of scoring her penalty to ensure England made the finals in Israel.

"I went for a sleep," she told BBC Sport. "There was nothing else to do. I was pacing around last night, so I didn't want to do that again."

Williamson said her mother managed to change her flights so she could stay to watch the penalty re-take.

"That was really nice," said the Arsenal defender.

England's qualifying group - results

Apr 4: Norway 2-2 England (completed on Apr 9)

Apr 4: Switzerland 1-0 Northern Ireland

Apr 6: Norway 2-0 Switzerland

Apr 6: England 9-1 Northern Ireland

Apr 9: Switzerland 1-3 England

Apr 9: Northern Ireland 1-8 Norway

Both sides emerged at the Seaview Stadium in Belfast and headed straight to the Norway penalty area, rather than the centre circle.

Having already scored a penalty in the win over Switzerland, Williamson was forced to wait a few more nervous moments as the referee ensured all the players were outside the box.

But she coolly placed her spot-kick into the bottom left-hand corner to make it 2-2, leaving Norway just enough time to kick-off before the final whistle was blown and England celebrations could begin.

England women's head coach Mark Sampson, speaking after the senior side's 2-1 friendly win over China, was full of praise for Williamson.

"To take that penalty and the fact she has scored it speaks volumes for the character in the team and the personality she has," he said.

The result meant England finished as group winners, but Norway also qualified as the leading runner-up.

England and Norway join Sweden, France, Germany, Denmark, Spain and hosts Israel in the finals, which begin on 15 July.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/32242750

this is a stupid and dangerous decision by UEFA, bigger teams will appeal now on dodgy decisions and cite this game as a reason

Given that the same thing happened in a World Cup qualifier in 2005, and the past decade hasn't been full of teams demanding games be replayed, I think we're probably going to be alright.

so can we go back to the game vs blues and give them a corner because we all know that enckelman didn't touch the ball...

No, because the ref's interpretation was that he did touch the ball.

A better example would be if, say Enckleman had a free kick, and somehow managed to kick it directly into his own net.

IIRC correctly that isn't a goal. it's a corner. If the ref gave a goal THEN it would be a similar situation

(although obviously there would be some sort of statute of limitation around time passing before an appeal is made)

Edited by Stevo985

The difference is clear.

One is interpreting the right rule, wrongly.

One is implementing a rule that doesn't exist.

It's like comparing a dive that's given as a penalty (because the ref thought it was a foul) and a dive that's given as a goal.

The first is a mistake. The second is a rule that doesn't exist.

• Like 3

Ridiculous. First of all that level of officiating is atrociously bad. Secondly, regardless of the circumstances the decision to retake the pen 5 days later is nothing short of comical.

The whole think is a farce. They'd have been better off letting sleeping dogs lie, for the sake of the perception of the women's game as a whole.

• Like 1

Â