Baseball 2015

maqroll

Royals swing early and get a lot of contact. The upside is that it could mean a lot of low pitch counts for out starters, the downside is that Murph/Flores aren't too good defensively so we don't want their workload to be increased too much. Also, with them playing in Citi, their pitchers will likely break up any of these hitting runs they put together.

Do we DH Murph and put Kelly Johnson at 2nd? 

I have to root for KC but part of me is perversely interested in seeing the reaction from Yankee ownership if the Mets win it all. 

I have a feeling the Royals will win, though. 

lol stefan. It took my mrs actually getting me to play softball a couple of times until I appreciated that not hitting it is good some/most of the time. Leave the bad balls. Hit the good ones. Swinging and missing = bad.

so yeah, sometimes.

but no. :)

I mean, I know the rules and stuff and waiting for the right ball/avoiding the ones not over the plate, but they seem to swing and miss a lot.

It's surprised me though. I've enjoyed it!

• Like 1

Sorry, I read my post back and it seemed a bit defensive, I wasn't trying to be :) :D

It's livened up a bit now. 3-1 Mets. Having been to New York a lot, it would be rude not to root for them.

Awful loss.

With that said. Harvey didn't look on tonight. The managing of the game couldn't have been worse. Our hitting couldn't have been worse. If we even start performing average, we're going to get hits off KCs starting rotation which is pretty trash. Just depends what their hitters can do.

Gotta win tomorrow or it's over though.

Edited by kurtsimonw

Awful loss.

With that said. Harvey didn't look on tonight. The managing of the game couldn't have been worse. Our hitting couldn't have been worse. If we even start performing average, we're going to get hits off KCs starting rotation which is pretty trash. Just depends what their hitters can do.

Gotta win tomorrow or it's over though.

Not sure what Collins did or didn't do that was so bad...it was a well pitched game that went 14 innings, with a 5-4 final score. Scrappy, hard-nosed baseball, I **** loved it as a neutral.

I predicted Mets in 7, this game suggests that I'm probably not too far off the mark. Very evenly matched teams.

I enjoyed watching KC in last year's playoffs, and they still have the same scrappy team spirit. Makes the Red Sox look like a bunch of crusty shit stains.

Massive game for Johnny Cueto now. Can he turn it around when it counts the most?

And can young deGromm continue to dominate?

Not sure what Collins did or didn't do that was so bad

Where to start? These decisions were all unanimously panned on the Mets forum I use. It's not a case of hindsight, it's simply awful management at the time.

First off, taking Harvey out after 80 pitches was retarded. I don't care that the box score says he gave up 3 earned runs, he didn't. The 1st inning run was quite clearly an error. Outside of that, he gave up 4 hits in 6 innings and he'd had no trouble with the bottom of the order - which is what was coming up in the 7th. Not to mention, the main weakness of the team is the bullpen, you keep your starter in as long as you can.

Another decision widely criticised before the game even started - where was Juan Lagares? Not only is he the best defensive player on the entire team, he has been hitting well all playoffs. Cespedes is coming off an injury and if you really want Conforto's at bat in the line then DH him! It took all of 1 pitch of the game for this to be a huge bad decision.

Let's say fine, you really want Ces' bat in the lineup, but you also really want Conforto's bat in the lineup AND you really want Kelly Johnson's bat in the lineup - you have no choice but to put the first 2 in the outfield and KJ at DH. Johnson got one full at bat the entire game. He got HBP first time up, then had 1 at bat before being taken out. So taking out a hot hitter and your best defender, is that really worth 1 at bat?

From that, you then put Cuddyer in. The guy has been awful as a Met, really awful. You put him in for KJ and he strikes out. Okay fine, you have him his shot, he blew it. 8th inning, with a man in scoring position and... you keep Cuddyer in? Shocker, he strikes out again. It was a big chance to take a 2 run lead. 11th inning, Lagares gets on AGAIN and you bunt with Flores (which is a stupid decision in itself), but fine, you have Lagares in scoring position and we lead with a hit. Do you bring in Uribe? Nieuwenhuis? Nope. You stick with Cuddyer who completes his hattrick of strikeouts. If Uribe is healthy, give him at least one at bat, surely he'll do better than strike out 3 times. If he's not healthy, why put him on the roster? It's not even like Cuddyer puts together a good at bat. I think it was his first time up, he went down swinging on something about 3 feet out of the zone.

Another move I wasn't happy with, Niese looked very good. What's the point of having an innings eating bullpen guy if you're only giving him 2 innings? He looked untouchable, the one hit against him was a fluke hit that bounced off the 3rd base bag.

Finally, not challenging the error on Wright in the 14th which put Escobar on base. Duda made a good stretch and from some angles, it looked like when he caught the ball his foot was still on the bag. Doesn't get overturned? No harm done. Why not at least challenge it though?

It's not his fault a lot of the hitting was poor, it's not his fault Familia gave it up in the 9th. But a lot of the above was stupid and on him.

Edited by kurtsimonw

Â