Pre-Match Thread

roonst83

I am not about to build QPR up to be something they are not based on their weekend result against a side that it appears took it's bucket and spade and headed to the beach for the summer a couple of weeks ago.

To put it in perspective how bad QPR have been then look at the league table.

Aside from having plenty to play for the other major difference QPR will find against us over West Brom is that we have pace in abundance and looking at QPR's back line and midfield it looks very pedestrian so if we go at them then they simply won't cope.

It would be good to have Sinclair back but I can't see it given what Sherwood said. Personally if Hutton is out and we still have no recognized left back fit I'd be tempted to bring Vlaar back in, go three at the back, play Bacuna wide right and NZogbia wide left with Delph and Cleverley in the middle with either Gil, Grealish or Cole given a license to roam and Gabby and Benteke up top.

Really though regardless of formation our personnel attacking wise, as long as they are on their game and pumped up to go for it, will have way too much for QPR.

• Like 2

I fear the season could all come down to this game which is scary given our injuries. Looking at who's out, against most Premier League sides we'd be saying the best we can hope for is a draw.

It is QPR and I'm sorry but QPR are a poor team, regardless of how well they did in their last game or how up for it I'm sure they'll be.

If we lose for failure to match their enthusiasm then we deserve whatever consequences come our way.

It's one of those huge games and to be quite honest I'm happy for us to be involved in huge games again these last couple of months, and weeks coming up. We've spent so many years in what has felt like a mediocre wilderness.

Regardless of who's out our big names on the teamsheet have got to bare their teeth tomorrow night.

Can anyone see Austin not scoring? He's been excellent this season and can score all kinds of goals - out of nothing.

Thing is QPR must win this game too - seeing as they also have some very tough games coming up. Looking at their forums their fans seem to share our thoughts that a loss is unthinkable, a draw unhelpful but a loss unthinkable. This is just a huge game. They'll fancy nicking it against us - but it means they will have to come at us. Absolutely gutted to not have Westy and Sinclair as they are both vital for us, especially in games against those teams around us.

A real 6-pointer and a must win for us. The results this weekend have made this even bigger a game than it already was for us and given them a shread of hope. I think we will need 7 - 9 points from our remaining home games and this needs to be win number one. Surely Gil will get a run out if Sinclair is missing?  

There really is no excuse for us not winning this. QPR had lost 5 on the spin before their win against Albion (who we all know are not very good) they have the worst defence in the league and are currently second from bottom for a reason (because they are crap).

3 points to Villa and we move on. No problem.

Personally if Hutton is out and we still have no recognized left back fit I'd be tempted to bring Vlaar back in, go three at the back, play Bacuna wide right and NZogbia wide left with Delph and Cleverley in the middle with either Gil, Grealish or Cole given a license to roam and Gabby and Benteke up top.

Well I hope that we don't. N'Zogbia on his own defending is a nightmare just thinking about it (I know he has played LB before)! If we play all of N'Zogbia, Gil, Grealish, Cole and Benteke together then we we'll be much too exposed when we are defending. I'd love to see Gil start this match but it just seems Sherwood doesn't rate him, sadly.

Really hoping to see Gil or Grealish get a chance here. QPR's defense is very poor and we should have no problem putting a few in the ol' onion bag.

Villa 3 - 1 QPR

Guzan

Bacuna Okore Clark Lowton

Cleverly Delph

Gil N'Zogbia

Benteke Agbonlahor

Really, Cleverley out? That's a huge blow if true. 

I'm struggling to pick a team I think will do the job. It'll have to be 4-4-2, because we don't have three fit central midfielders. 

Guzan

Bacuna  Okore  Clark  Lowton

Weimann  Sanchez  Delph  N'Zogbia

Benteke  Agbonlahor

I don't think it's a great team, but I suppose that's what it'll be. We'll have to score at least twice to win, there's no way we're keeping a clean sheet against Austin with that backline and central midfield. 

Really, Cleverley out? That's a huge blow if true. 

I'm struggling to pick a team I think will do the job. It'll have to be 4-4-2, because we don't have three fit central midfielders. 

Guzan

Bacuna  Okore  Clark  Lowton

Weimann  Sanchez  Delph  N'Zogbia

Benteke  Agbonlahor

I don't think it's a great team, but I suppose that's what it'll be. We'll have to score at least twice to win, there's no way we're keeping a clean sheet against Austin with that backline and central midfield. 

It doesn't have to be 442 at all, we should be playing Gil in front of Sanchez and Delph with a front 3. For what it's worth I don't think 442 would be a bad formation for this game under other circumstances but if you don't have the personnel to play it properly then you have to find something else that will work. Weimann Sanchez Delph and N'Zogbia is a terrible midfield.  

I bet it's what he picks. 

EDIT: I shouldn't be so confident about it. Obviously he might do something else. But I think my lineup is more likely than yours. If he really wanted to play a 4-3-3 without Gil (I'm assuming any formation is without Gil) he could bring Baker in as LB, move Lowton to RB and then Bacuna to midfield. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

This really is the time to trot out 'must-win' - win and I cannot see QPR overtaking us, Leicester neither, and it is very possible that Burnley and Hull will struggle to exceed 31 points. It's basically our life line to early survival and would save us all from shredded nerves for the rest of the season.