Cryptozoology - from Ayia Napa seamonsters to the Zanzibari leopards

Marka Ragnos

I'm fascinated by cryptozoological tales from around the world, not because believe I believe in them, but because I find them culturally absorbing for some reason.

When I was a kid in the USA in the 70s, these postcards were VERY popular. You would find them at all the "curio" shops out West, esp. in the Southwest desert and the plains. Any good cryptids stories in your area?

scan0002.jpg

well, here's a story for you - and if somebody else told it, I'd dismiss it as piffle:

I was awake late one night when I heard a noise out the back of the house that was sufficiently 'wrong' for me to get up and go out to investigate. We have a large conservatory and once out the back of the house I could here the almost flat roof section of it creaking. Now, it's construction is such that I can stand on it, but it gives and creaks. Birds and cats can't be heard.

But the roof was creaking and the creak was moving from left to right. I realised someone was on the roof and being a brave / aggressive soul when in the mood I quietly reached for the door keys to get out there and confront the intruder. I ever so quietly turned the key in the lock and when I was ready, on my terms, at about 2:00am in the dark.....

I leapt out and did this sort of  'Ahaaa!' but less Alan Partridge than it looks when written down.

Well **** me. It was a big black cat. By big, I mean bloody big, dog big. It just looked at me. I looked at it and just thought, oh, right. Then it sort of trotted off at jogging pace off my roof on to the neighbours and away. Seriously, if it wasn't a stupid thing to suggest, I'd have said it was a panther.

I never reported it, but I did tell the missus. I didn't report it because that sort of stuff is stupid. But I did start buying local papers for a while to see if there were any other odd reports. But there weren't.

True dat.

• Like 4

Similar to Chris, where the inlaws used to live on the outskirts of Wigan, there were a few neighbours who reported seeing a huge cat.  Everybody laughed it off until there were severely savaged sheep and lambs that started appearing in certain fields.

On the IOM, we have a colony of wild wallabies that escaped from the local wild life park, and have successfully bred and spread since.  I nearly ran one over once on the mountain road, bleedin' huge thing it was that would have made a right mess had I hit it.

• Like 2

There have meant to have been a few big cat sightings near where I live, but I've never seen any. I did see a weird cat/dog hybrid type creature stroll past me the once though, just outside the spar, was a brown color with snout longer than a typical cat and had a long tail with hoops on. Don't know what the hell it was.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

This is my subject. I watch all the documentaries and shows on this stuff, cause I'm a huge nerd. I tend not to believe in most of them but Bigfoot does intrigue me the most I'd say.

My Dad has saw a big black cat up close on his way to work. It was lying and rolling around in a field in the early morning. There has been a few reports around here as well, with there being a couple of farms in our neighbourhood with fields full of livestock.

Edited by adz.villa
  • Like 1

This is my subject. I watch all the documentaries and shows on this stuff, cause I'm a huge nerd. I tend not to believe in most of them but Bigfoot does intrigue me the most I'd say.

My Dad has saw a big black cat up close on his way to work. It was lying and rolling around in a field in the early morning. There has been a few reports around here as well, with there being a couple of farms in our neighbourhood with fields full of livestock.

Maybe he was just standing a bit closer to it than he realised...

• Like 3

I too saw a black panther one. Driving from Brisbane to Canberra. It was just outside of Bsthurst. At first I thought it might have been a black kangaroo then I thought it might have been a rottweiler, but it had a distinctive feline tail and was too big for a feral cat.

• Like 1

Similar to Chris, where the inlaws used to live on the outskirts of Wigan, there were a few neighbours who reported seeing a huge cat.  Everybody laughed it off until there were severely savaged sheep and lambs that started appearing in certain fields.

On the IOM, we have a colony of wild wallabies that escaped from the local wild life park, and have successfully bred and spread since.  I nearly ran one over once on the mountain road, bleedin' huge thing it was that would have made a right mess had I hit it.

Must have made you jump! :)

Any excuse for a photo - I worked in the outback and every day we'd see freshly killed 'roos that had been hit by road trains at night. Massive wedge tailed Eagles and Buzzards would come down and eat them. It was possible to get pretty close, as the birds would be so full they'd be reluctant to fly off, or to leave their meal

I've some gorier pics, but as it's tea time, here's a not gory pic

post-75-0-02101000-1427996001_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Not a cryptid obviously, but speaking of large Birds we have an Eagle owl which lives in the forest opposite our house. I was walking the dog one night and it was just perched on a sign staring at me. I absolutely shit myself as I'd never seen one before, nor did I think they were native to the UK.

• Like 2

We get basking sharks off the coast here during the summer, and I've seen them fairly close up while out sailing.  Absolutely chuffing huge things they are.

• Like 3

Great stories.

Some creatures are so odd, they seem fake. Narwhals ...

244247.jpg

I love all of the mad sea creatures when my godson was a nipper I used to teach him all about them, when he started school and they were teaching them shit about sharks he started chatting to the teacher about goblin sharks, Narwhals, Anglerfish and Bobbit worms they thought he was just talking rubbish until he started spouting off facts about them, they actually went up to his mom when she went to pick him up and asked who had been teaching him about sea creatures

• Like 1

I live pretty much near Bodmin Moor and loads of people have seen the 'Beast'. I spotted the large black one twice, the second time at dusk when I was night-fishing (did'nt sleep much!). Followed it, but it saw me and shot off. Then the kids found a mutilated lamb along the coastal path a few months later,  but that could have been a dog I suppose

The neighbours seen a golden coloured one up back of ours, almost like a mountain lion, but mostly its a a black puma sized cat.

• Like 1

We get basking sharks off the coast here during the summer, and I've seen them fairly close up while out sailing.  Absolutely chuffing huge things they are.

I was on a 12 person fishing boat just about in sight of the coast and two basking sharks came in from the side just below the surface, just dipped under the boat and up the other side and on their way. Just stunning gorgeous things. When my life flashes by I reckon that'll be in the highlights.

• Like 2

We get some absolutely bonkers wildlife over here.  There's a massive array of birds, including Stellar's Jays, Northern Flickers and Cooper's Hawks (all have been in or near our garden), and also Bald Eagles which we've seen near the house and also flying past the office.

Aside from that we get coyotes, skunk and racoons roaming the streets, and seals and orca not too far off the coast.  There are black bears on the north shore too.  I've booked a fishing trip with a few mates to go out for Sturgeon.  It's only a 2 hour drive inland along the Fraser River, and is where the world record sturgeon was caught - 10ft long and 1700lb!

I didn't realise river fish could be this size!

11_foot_2_fish.JPG

• Like 2

Slightly more on topic here... people are often dismissive about Bigfoot's existence (almost certainly down to the ridiculous programs produced whereby a group of investigators or 'experts' embark on a mission to find one using hilariously elaborate methods), but there is some decent evidence to put forward when debating it's existence.

See Dr Jeff Meldrum, an anthropologist who's collected many footprints which appear to show evidence of features which would require an intricate knowledge of anthropology to be able to replicate with a stamp, or any other method of hoaxing.

For me there are too many detailed reports of the same thing to totally dismiss it. The idea that there is some ingrained psychological dynamic which dictates that people are liable to see (or want to see) people (or large humanoid beings) in places which are atypical intrigues me also. I forget what this theory is called but I'm sure a google search will come up with something.

Edited by adz.villa
  • Like 1

Â