Italy v England

andykeenan

Last night wasn't spectacular - both Italy and England set up not to lose and this showed (especially in the first half)

RH's team selection was as confusing as it was ineffective - Rooney at the tip of a narrow diamond, Walcott alongside Kane upfront and Phil Bloody Jones (responsible for their goal) in the holding role?!?!?!?

Felt sorry for both Delph and Henderson who were limited in their roles last night, neither seemed to get the chance to drive at the Italian midfield and defence (probably also hindered by the Italians sitting back and trying to counter).

The defence looked awful too - I don't know how Gibbs is selected and Clyne didn't do himself any favours by getting turned on every Italian attack. Jagielka was poor, with only his last ditch tackles (which if he marked his man tighter wouldn't be necessary) making him look good. Neither Smalling or Jones look international class to me either.

But the main thing was the hype around Harry Kane (who I think thoroughly deserves his call-up and start) and then playing a narrow midfield diamond. Tactically, Hodgson made Kane's full debut a difficult task as there was no width or anyone to put a decent ball into the box. We should have played to his strengths, with two wide midfielders to give Kane some delivery instead of just relying on a punt by Joe Hart to aimlessly flick on to the invisibile Walcott.

The substitutions worked well though, with pace and width injected along with Carrick replacing Jones in midfield. Whatever you think of Townsend, he ups his game for England and is willing to have a shot (resulting in some decent goals) so is worth a berth on the subs bench.

Barkley also did ok (but horrendously spuffed over by the media and pundits alike)

But for all our obvious attacking potential, I'm concerned by the lack of quality in defence. Barring Cahill, who else is a decent International CB??? Baines is too hot and cold now and Walker/Clyne are quick but not great defenders.

England have lots of options in attack now, which is heartening. Kane is just another good player, it isn't imperative that we build the team around him. At them moment, he must be behind Wellbeck who seems to always play well for England. Throw Sterling, Walcott, Sturridge, Oxlade Chamberlain and Barkley into the mix and clearly we have options.

As for Delph, for me his passing was a bit hit and miss. His stats may have been decent, but the times he did give the ball away, he really shouldn't have. I think he'll be in future squads, because of his dynamism. The game was bit slow at times for Delph last night, he's not adept at picking passes, he's better at turning the ball over and driving into space. As part of a whole team strategy, which appears to be press the ball immediately after we lose it, he's effective.

Against the best teams we need to play Carrick in a three, he might not have 'the legs' but his game is so simple and effective, it gives us balance. He's they sort of player we say England don't have and can't produce.

I see England's travelling support were their usual pleasant selves in Turin  :ph34r:

I'd imagine a certain prolonged bombing campaign against members of the public in England has got something to do with that.  :detect:

It's the anti IRA stuff. I'm not sure whether Corcaigh has ever mentioned it before in any of his posts, but he's Irish and doesn't really care for the England national team and its supporters.

I see England's travelling support were their usual pleasant selves in Turin  :ph34r:

I'd imagine a certain prolonged bombing campaign against members of the public in England has got something to do with that.   :detect:

of which none of them were probably born when the bombings occured.

I see England's travelling support were their usual pleasant selves in Turin :ph34r:

I'd imagine a certain prolonged bombing campaign against members of the public in England has got something to do with that. :detect:

That would make them all 18 or younger.

I see England's travelling support were their usual pleasant selves in Turin :ph34r:

I'd imagine a certain prolonged bombing campaign against members of the public in England has got something to do with that. :detect:

That would make them all 18 or younger.

Ok but I don't get the point of singing anti IRA  songs when we have been at peace with them for 15 years. There are bigger threats in the world now that would be more relevant to sing about. 

The anti IRA stuff is not acceptable. Given the context, it's probably not the most offensive thing a collective group could do. If it were to happen in Dublin it would be shameful.

I should imagine most English people and English fans wouldn't dream of singing about the IRA.

Â