Italy v England

andykeenan

Can see us bidding for Townsend in the summer.

Wouldn't be a disaster though would it, I think he's an excellent player.
That's an extremely loose application of the word. He's decent at best.
He's better than what we've got.

he is more inconsistent than Zog and Greaish has more potential plus as he is a Spurs player will probably cost double his real value and same in wages

He's better than what we've got.

I'm not sure he is to be honest. He isn't an intelligent player and lacks any real delivery. Barely an upgrade on Scott Sinclair, if at all.

Delph ratings if anyone cares -

Mirror - 4 - sloppy passing all night (89% pass rating! higher than Henderson and jones! says otherwise)

Independent - 6 - held midfield together well

Mail - 5.5 - harried well and got stuck in but game plan didn't work for him

Goal - 5 - sloppy passing

Star - 5 - industrious but lost out to a better Italian midfield

Express - 5 - poor 1st half midfield

Most seem to be saying the same thing, him and Henderson couldn't get a grip on the game in the 1st half

Edited by villa4europe

I think he will be very dissapointed in his performance to tonight. His passing was very poor and he wasn't prepared to take players on like he does at Villa. I can't believe thats all down to Hodgson. 

I also thought Walker was a massive improvement on Clyne who in his last two matches for England has failed to get forward at all. Yes he's done well at Southampton and Walker has made mistakes since his long layoff but for me he has so much more to offer as an attacking fullback.

Edited by PaulC

You have two great box to box midfielders, with a decent calibre of passing at pace, with great engines that can get beyond people and stretch.

...and you ask both of them to sit, right next to the CB...in midfield.

One of the papers said that's got to be his last game as an England midfielder, it also gives smalling a game at CB who is a poorer player so IMO it's not really an option

That said I can understand them looking at him there again, we don't really have anyone else as an old fashioned DMC, but surely the whole point of Henderson and Delph is that they press higher up the pitch, with then Rooney / welbeck / sterling also providing energy and tracking back which to be fair by and large they can do, that will negate the need for a DMC and just get almost like a deep lying play maker or string puller in there, that role will almost inevitably be wilsheres when fit but I'd like carrick to get a run there

Interesting tonight that the passing stats were almost the reversal from the World Cup game, think we had around 150 more passes than them and more possession, most of our midfield had passing completion rates of over 85% (sloppy on the ball Delph being the highest during his poor 1st half...) I know that doesn't always mean anything but to me it certainly tells you what Roy is trying to do

Edited by villa4europe

Chiellini is the most overrated centre back in world football in my view...whenever Italy concede a goal he usually is missing.

I only mention Townsend as we have no idea what Sherwood's transfer policy will be long term and most managers at some stage in their careers will sign players they've worked with before so just seems an obvious target to me although given Spurs would want 10m + that could well rule us out as they'll be plenty of other teams in for him.

I only get in to see the second half but Delph's passing was fine from what I saw, certainly much better than on Friday. So either he must've been woeful in the first half or the press have got bored of a regular in the England team not from the Sky top 6 and want to see someone they see on the tv every week.

Edited by VillaChris

Townsend had a free shot from 20 yards centrally so yes you could ask where were the two CBs.

I was more thinking in the summer where Rooney had the freedom of the left hand side to slide the cross in for Sturridge unmarked to tap home and was just wondering what he was on that occasion.

Townsend had a free shot from 20 yards centrally so yes you could ask where were the two CBs.

Chiellini was taken off 5 minutes before  :lol:

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

Well that's just in Italian's defenders DNA isn't it....to assault strikers at corners in such a cunning way the ref never sees it.

I remember Cannavaro doing that to Shearer once all game and Shearer got so hacked off at it he just elbowed him at the end of the game...and Shearer got the ban.  :D 

Maybe I'm being harsh but ten years ago Italy would putting out Zambrotta- Nesta- Cannavaro-Maldini so standards are very high, With Buffon in goal that has to be one of the best back 5s of all time.

Chiellini was taken off 5 minutes before  :lol:

http://i.imgur.com/NCkjLAQ.gif

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

used some bad examples at the bottom but the point remains valid (apart from carroll, he's still amazingly hyped up now still)

11079627_1365907640116115_34735623976043

Not a single one of those players had achieved anything like what Kane has this season.

Sorry to go back to an old post...

but that's not really the point is it? it's not a comparison between players' abilities. It's an observation that the media will always hype a player that bit too much  relative to their ability so that they're destined to be a disappointment, even if they are actually really good (see Rooney)

• Like 1

Because the message isn't as effective.

Those balloons could have no names written on them and the message is still the same.

Edited by Stevo985

Â