England v Lithuania Euro 2016 Qualifier

andykeenan

Yes I think we are about the same level as Belgium in terms of talent. They have got their golden generation but were underwhelming in the world cup despite getting to the quarters. They need to get to the final at least in these uero's

bit harsh, it was Belgium 1st tournament in 12 years and only Van Buyten played in 2000 so to get to quarters was impressive

I think Belgium are quite ahead of England at current rate, if they combined the teams only Rooney, Cahill and Clyne would get in the Belgium team and Clyne is only in because Belgium dont have any left backs

No buts he's scored a lot more goals than Benteke this season and thats down to Roy

Sterling wouldn't replace Hazard, actually looking at the team against Cyprus I'm not sure where Sterling would fit in because De Bruyne plays on the other side and he's a major player for Belgium. Even Rooney wouldn't be first pick unless he replaced Benteke. 

Edited by PaulC

In the long term, playing against the minnow nations and getting more teams involved in the actual tournament will increase the quality over time.  Look at the African nations now compared to just 30 years ago in the WC's, they're making Quarter finals regularly.

The more chance of these small nations reaching a Tournament, the more professional coaches they can encourage to manage them, which increases quality.

As a "senior" nation, we just have to accept this, and encourage the small nations to participate.

I actually think the African nations are getting worse tbh, well the bigger names.

Belgium have a lot more strength in depth than England in most areas but that's just a freak generation, it's their best team since the 80s and a few of them like Lukaku,Dembele and Benteke are of African descent aswell.

Hmmm. Not sure on this "of African descent" thing. They are Belgian citizens, everything else is irrelevant.

Â