English Club Rankings

villa4europe

The only stat that truly matters is trophies. All the rest is pointless.

One of the comments on that article states, half our trophies don't count, as we won them before football was a "proper sport".

That's fine, as long as the same method is used in 110 years time when man utd show they've won **** all ever. [emoji38]

The only stat that truly matters is trophies. All the rest is pointless.

One of the comments on that article states, half our trophies don't count, as we won them before football was a "proper sport". 

Was it made by GlastonSpur by any chance? 

• Like 1

Trophies are great, but the only trophies that count in the scheme of ranking teams are recent ones.

Historical trophies are something that should be celebrated by the club that won them and they are a part of the fabric of the club. We should be incredibly proud of our history.

However, we should not expect anyone else to do the same. We haven't won anything worth writing home about in 2 decades. Our European Cup is meaningless to the average football supporter in 2015.

Do we rank Blackburn Rovers as a big club because they've won a Premier League title?

Do we think Preston NE are a big club because of the major trophies they have in their cabinet, with the most recent one being won over 75 years ago?

It's just a fact of life. How people judge a club in football is very much a case of what have you done for me lately. Winning the FA Cup this year would do a lot more for the standing of our great club than any league title won 100+ years ago.

It's time to actually become relevant again rather than just pointing to our historical records.

• Like 2

Well, i've been doing something similar for years. I've taken into account mainly such factors as trophies (obviously the most important factor) and attendances. First 20 (for comparison).

1. Man United

2. Liverpool

3. Arsenal

4. Everton

5. Aston Villa

6. Chelsea

7. Man City

8. Tottenham

9. Newcastle

10. Sunderland

11. Wolves

12. Blackburn

13. Sheffield Wednesday

14. Nottingham Forest

15. West Brom

16. Derby

17. Bolton

18. Sheffield United

19. Leeds

20. Preston NE

Tiny little club, tiny stadium, no fans, no cups. Is it that surprising?

Then I guess what's surprising is how well they've done, for such a "low-ranked" operation. Would you trade their spot on the PL table for the glory of being a "massive club"?

Edited by Plastic Man

Tiny little club, tiny stadium, no fans, no cups. Is it that surprising?

Then I guess what's surprising is how well they've done, for such a "low-ranked" operation. Would you trade their spot on the PL table for the glory of being a "massive club"?

Would I trade being a Villa fan with being a Swansea fan? Swansea are a midtable team and this is probably the best it's ever gonna get for them. They'll be down in a few years so no of course I wouldn't.

Was going to say, I don't think that's true anymore. In the 70s and 80s, maybe, but not anymore. They're very similar to Newcastle, in respect of being a one club city. You tend to find all of the locals support Leeds. I've got a few mates who support Leeds, and they do still draw fans from all over Yorkshire, and the surrounding counties (not Lancs though obviously!). I'd say internationally, they have a legacy of older fans, but nowadays if you're not in the Premier League, you don't exist on the international stage.

fair comment. after united and liverpool i see more leeds fans than any other club, yes most of them are older but i see a lot on my travels and in rugeley alone there is quite a few. thing with leeds is that their home crowds have never been that impressive even when they were doing great and winning titles they still never pulled in huge crowds. bit like us in a sense that we should of had bigger crowds at times.

I've never seen a Leeds fan anywhere other than Leeds, to be honest.

There are a fair few up this way. There's a large stretch of the country, between Leeds and Newcastle, where the biggest team around is Middlesbrough, so there are a fair few up this way that support Leeds. As I mentioned in a previous post though, they tend to be older, unless their Dads influenced them.

You know this myth about North East fans, and how they're the most passionate in England, blah blah blah... What they don't tell you is how many Man Ure, Liverpool, Arsenal, and these days Chelsea fans there are kicking about.

I live in Leeds, and worked in Bradford for many years. Bradford used to be full of Leeds fans, but with their recent cup runs, Bradford gloryhunters have been flocking onboard. I've even seen Bradford shirts in Leeds itself, which would once have been unthinkable.

Â