FA Proposal to Limit Non EU Players

Xela

So what do we think? Good idea? Won't make a difference?

BBC Sport

FA chairman Greg Dyke has warned Premier League football is in danger of "having nothing to do with English people" as new proposals to limit the number of non-EU players are outlined by English football's governing body.

Does it go far enough? 

Football Trade Directory

Dyke added: “In 2014, just 23 English players were playing Champions League football. That compares with 78 Spanish players, 55 from Germany and even 51 from Brazil – and the numbers will only get worse. If we want to maintain a national side capable of competing against the world’s best, we need change
Edited by Xela

Won't make a difference, another case of foreigners being made scapegoats for underperforming English players, I'd guess non EU players don't actually make up that large a % of foreigners playing here, we've got 2 I think, Guzan and Sanchez

Out of those "playing champions league" figures how many of the 78 Spanish players were playing for Spanish clubs? 50%? How many of the English play in England? 100%, English players aren't going abroad, partly because they aren't good enough but mainly because the wages wouldn't be anywhere near what they get here, and all we do is make it worse and blame everyone else, if he wants change then he shouldn't have allowed the tv deal, but then the FA benefit from all this money in the English game so why would they?

Except that the biggest imports into the division are EU players Mr Dyke. Obviously he has no power over that but then no point pretending this policy will make any real difference.

• Like 2

I like the idea. Not so much for the English national team or for the sake of the future of the game, but because it accidentally makes it harder for the richest clubs to pull away from everyone else by restricting their market. Chelsea would like the 50 best players in the world, if we limit them to the ten best players in the world and the 40 best players in Europe, it means there's a very slightly lower ceiling on their ambition.

It helps the Villa a little tiny bit, therefore I like it.

Listened to the interview on 5 Live last night. The criteria for home grown players are they can be Non EU if they have been in England for 5 years at their 19th birthday which should stop people bypassing the rule as a player should not move clubs before his 14th birthday unless there are mitigating circumstances.

They then put Alan Irvine on the phone who said one of those mitigating circumstances is if their parent should get a job in a foreign country say working for a football club. Fill in the gaps and you can see that the FA are powerless to stop clubs doing what they like.

Not sure it will make much difference but it is a problem for our national team. Its only the exceptional English players that are coming through. Would David Platt have made it if he was making his way in the game now. I very much doubt it!

Listened to the interview on 5 Live last night. The criteria for home grown players are they can be Non EU if they have been in England for 5 years at their 19th birthday which should stop people bypassing the rule as a player should not move clubs before his 14th birthday unless there are mitigating circumstances.

They then put Alan Irvine on the phone who said one of those mitigating circumstances is if their parent should get a job in a foreign country say working for a football club. Fill in the gaps and you can see that the FA are powerless to stop clubs doing what they like.

That was what barca did with South Korean kids, their parents got jobs with some of barcelonas partners

I'm pretty sure there's also some way around the FIFA rule if a scholarship is involved, guess who just built a school on their training ground...

It's an interesting one, I do think a lot of players get work permits without a huge amount of justification....like Chelsea saying William would have 100 caps if he wasn't Brazilian. Decent player but not earth shatteringly brilliant.

Or Leicester signing Kamaric on account of apparently bigger teams being interested in him and despite all the hype he's barely done anything for them so you could argue he's potentially blocking an English players route although of course that is dross like Jamie Vardy.

I've always thought the work permit thing is skewed to the bigger clubs anyway. Around the time we signed Guzan which had to go to second appeal, Man. United signed Anderson without a problem. Ironic thing is Guzan probably wouldn't be able to sign anyway with these proposed regulations so it's a bit of a hit and miss policy to view how good the potential players will be.

For me a bigger issue is the amount of young foreign players in club academies nowadays. If young British players are finding it difficult even to get a game at academy level then that's a bigger issue so I'd like to see a bit of a crackdown there.

think if clubs are spending a certain amount on a player Willian and Kramaric both cost over 10 million then I think a work permit should be granted as I dont think clubs are going to waste that much money if they think they are going to be shit

work permit regulations are backwards anyway, Tim Howard got a work permit when he had about 3 caps for US but Fergie made a personal appeal and it was given same with Manucho

Yes they're very inconsistant. One of the strange criteria they used is a player struggles to get one if their national team is out of top 75, I don't think a talented player should be hamstrung just because his national team is small in population and not very good. 

It's a bit like saying Bale wouldn't get one if he was foreign.

More of the criteria should be on playing records, was he a regular at his previous few clubs, if he's a striker does he actually score goals. Brown Ideye is a good example, WBA spunking 9m on him shouldn't be enough to get him a work permit when he had a mediocre scoring record in Ukraine and didn't even make the Nigeria world cup squad. And surprise surprise apart from that purple patch he had when Pulis came in, he's looked pretty flipping dreadful here aswell.

work permits at the moment i think are - 

1st attempt - must have played 75% of a country in the FIFA top 70 competitive matches in the last 2 years

2nd attempt - you can argue that the player was injured so missed caps, you can argue that the player is of the highest calibre, that the player will contribute significantly to the english game, or if threy are young you can argue that playing in the prem will result in the playing in 75% of their national teams games in the next 2 years

im sure ud read somewhere that arsenal had got one for gabriel on the basis that he contributed significantly, not a clue how they managed that, i dont know who makes the decision either, if its the FA or if its the government, big clubs will pull the wool over the government and the FA brown nose them so its almost inevitable that they will get one, if they dont then arsenal can still sign the player and just send him to spain for 3 years (vela, campbell)

in spain its 3 non EU players per 25 man squad, in italy its a maximum of 2 non EU players signed per season, i think france is 5 non EU per match day squad, im sure russian has a rule where 5 russian have to be on the pitch at any point

the FA introduced the 25 man squad about 3 years a go i think, its done **** all, thats where they can bend the rules to suit themselves, they can use the spanish rule to limit non EU, they can scrap the UEFA homegrown rules that mean the likes of fabregas and clichey are classed as being homegrown, they can insist on 8 english players per 25 man squad rather than 8 "homegrown" (they could even make a huge step in fixing football and make a wage cap per 25 man list)

Arsenal would've used the argument with Gabriel he's Brazilian so they have a huge pool of players to choose from compared to say Uruguay where he'd probably meet the criteria if he was that nationality.

The top 75 nations thing, are Armenia in that as if they aren't then a top player like Mitkhyran would probably struggle to get one.

its an independent panel but not sure who is on it but I read Brian Glanville the World Soccer journalist saying he has been on them before and he was on the panel for and very critical of Ferguson/Tim Howard decision in a few of his columns

Have Howard or Guzan actually been detrimental to the Premier League though?

Regardless, I think I can get behind these proposals. As OBE? states above, this will have a leveling effect on the league if it comes in. Even if it simply forces the Sky 7 to buy more of our players instead of purchasing from abroad, it'll still help. The more relevance comes from academies and youth programs, the better for us. 

I don't think increasing English players in the prem will help.

We might get more english players in the champs league initially, but it will be to the detriment of the quality of those teams so long term we'll suffer.

The better solution would be more English players moving abroad, imo. Although there's nothing you can really do to make that happen.

• Like 1

Â