Harry Kane

The_Rev

It's been over 2 years since this thread saw any action, but given that the fella has just broken Shearer's record of Premier League goals in a calendar year I think it's worth the revival.

In 2017 he's scored 55 goals in all competitions, which is more than Lionel Messi.  It's absolutely incredible.  And it's only half time in the Southampton game so could still add to that.

When he first broke through he was scoring goals but wasn't really eye-catching, and I think that's still the case.  He's not a supercharged speed merchant, or a flair player, so he doesn't seem to get the headlines he deserves.  He does seem to be at least an 8/10 at everything, though.  He's a complete striker and can score from anywhere.

I didn't want to like him when he first appeared, and thought he'd be a one season wonder.  There's nothing to dislike about him though.  Seems a nice bloke, and is clearly a top talent.  Will he stay at Spurs?  It'd be a nice story if he did, but if he carries on like this he'll deserve a Champions League medal by the time he hangs up his boots.

• Like 2

He's undoubtedly one of the best strikers in the world right now.

It's just a shame that like so many players he doesn't quite seem the same when he's in an England shirt.

That's not necessarily a criticism of him. Just wishful thinking.
If we had a Man City Sterling and a Spurs Harry Kane and a Spurs Deli Alli etc all playing for England it would be amazing. But we tend to get the England versions.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He's undoubtedly one of the best strikers in the world right now.

It's just a shame that like so many players he doesn't quite seem the same when he's in an England shirt.

That's not necessarily a criticism of him. Just wishful thinking.
If we had a Man City Sterling and a Spurs Harry Kane and a Spurs Deli Alli etc all playing for England it would be amazing. But we tend to get the England versions.

Imagine if we had the club versions of this side :o

0012BC8B1000044C-4184202-image-a-88_1486

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Quite. Still think our problems then came down to that midfield and how poorly it was setup given the players we had.

We still should have won that tournament regardless.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Quite. Still think our problems then came down to that midfield and how poorly it was setup given the players we had.

No idea how the coaching team didn’t turn these guys into contenders. I reckon left to their own devices, turning up with hangovers and after a pre-match kebab they could have performed better.

32 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

They basically admit what all fans suspected. Their club football was more important to them. The managers (Fergie in particular) wanted it that way and England came 2nd. They saw going away with England as a bit of a pain in the arse.

Everyone lauds Ferguson as a great manager but he's highly responsible for England never achieving anything at international level in the modern era and he cultivated the half arsed attitude that England players have today.

Edited by TheAuthority

10 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

They basically admit what all fans suspected. Their club football was more important to them. The managers (Fergie in particular) wanted it that way and England came 2nd. They saw going away with England as a bit of a pain in the arse.

Everyone lauds Ferguson as a great manager but he's highly responsible for England never achieving anything at international level in the modern era and he cultivated the half arsed attitude that England players have today.

As a Scot I doubt he cared ;)

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

As a Scot I doubt he cared ;)

Some might say he reveled in the enjoyment of it.

I hate the way everyone revers that f**^&r. Made the best generation of English footballers hate playing for their country. (Can you imagine Sir GT doing that?) He didn't speak to the BBC for years because he didn't like something they said about him.  Cantankerous old c*^t.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

It is a staggeringly good collection of players when you think about it. 

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Few missing as well, Rio Ferdinand, Joe Cole, Ledley King, Darius Vassell

Indeed. Woodgate as well. Suffered with injuries but a very good defender. 

Â