The Fight of the Century (So Far)

maqroll

Pacquiao v Mayweather  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who Will Win?

• Pacquiao
    • Mayweather
    • Draw/No Contest

The reason there's so much hype about it is becase they're really just about the only 2 personalities in boxing right now with any mainstream impact. The sport is in a very bad way, and I don't think this fight will help inspire new fans.

Well over 80,000 fans at Froch v Groves suggests you're so so wrong.

I think that there is a difference between a load of part time English fans getting hyped up over a fight and the world getting hyped up by two of the best P4P boxers over the last ten years

I doubt that there were many people over the pond interested in Froch and Groves part 1 or 2

You don't actually appear to be responding to the point donnie made. :lol:

It will be a close fight. Floyd has slowed down more than Pacquiao has. I fancy Pacquiao to win a very close points decision. Pacquiao is still extremely fast and very dynamic, he has become more of a two handed fighter as time has gone on. Floyd has in the past struggled against fast southpaws, like Zab Judah and at times in his fight against Chop Chop Corley. The shoulder roll defense becomes less effective against those sorts of opponents, meaning we could be seeing Floyd fighting behind a high guard at times. 

I feel that the speed and variety will trouble Floyd early. Pacquiao needs to show variety and not show everything at once, Floyd is the best adjuster in the sport so Pacquiao needs to show something different down the stretch, rather than doing the same thing. On that basis he should strategise which punches he throws, maybe focus more on the lead left early, then switch to the jab - left set up he often favours, where he uses the jab as more of a screen (so not bothered whether he lands it) and follows with a very fast left (Maidana who is much slower did a good job of screening with the jab before throwing the right in both his fights with Floyd). The short right hook is also a punch that will work on Floyd up close but he has to use his excellent footwork to get in close as Floyd is a master of creating distance. 

Incidentally it's probably that reason why I favour Pacquiao in this, his footwork is absolutely excellent, he hasn't really lost his legs at all, whereas Floyd has lost that half a step. Anyway, both are still high quality boxers and neither have fought anyone as good before, so I don't see how anyone is a clear winner in this, I guess we'll see fight night. 

The reason there's so much hype about it is becase they're really just about the only 2 personalities in boxing right now with any mainstream impact. The sport is in a very bad way, and I don't think this fight will help inspire new fans.

I think that there is a difference between a load of part time English fans getting hyped up over a fight and the world getting hyped up by two of the best P4P boxers over the last ten years

I doubt that there were many people over the pond interested in Froch and Groves part 1 or 2

You don't actually appear to be responding to the point donnie made. :lol:

Think you might be right there actually, it's not very often I admit to being wrong

• Like 1

It will be a close fight. Floyd has slowed down more than Pacquiao has. I fancy Pacquiao to win a very close points decision. Pacquiao is still extremely fast and very dynamic, he has become more of a two handed fighter as time has gone on. Floyd has in the past struggled against fast southpaws, like Zab Judah and at times in his fight against Chop Chop Corley. The shoulder roll defense becomes less effective against those sorts of opponents, meaning we could be seeing Floyd fighting behind a high guard at times. 

I feel that the speed and variety will trouble Floyd early. Pacquiao needs to show variety and not show everything at once, Floyd is the best adjuster in the sport so Pacquiao needs to show something different down the stretch, rather than doing the same thing. On that basis he should strategise which punches he throws, maybe focus more on the lead left early, then switch to the jab - left set up he often favours, where he uses the jab as more of a screen (so not bothered whether he lands it) and follows with a very fast left (Maidana who is much slower did a good job of screening with the jab before throwing the right in both his fights with Floyd). The short right hook is also a punch that will work on Floyd up close but he has to use his excellent footwork to get in close as Floyd is a master of creating distance. 

Incidentally it's probably that reason why I favour Pacquiao in this, his footwork is absolutely excellent, he hasn't really lost his legs at all, whereas Floyd has lost that half a step. Anyway, both are still high quality boxers and neither have fought anyone as good before, so I don't see how anyone is a clear winner in this, I guess we'll see fight night. 

I'm still struggling to see past Mayweather winning, a lot of people have spoke about how Floyd has struggled with southpaws in the past but I just think he will have it in him to win on points, plus with it being at the MGM everything is going to go his way if it goes to the score cards

but will Manny's next fight generate as much money for the MGM and Vegas in general as Mayweathers?

I think that is the main thing to look at

If he beats Mayweather and it's against the right opponent then it probably will (e.g. if it's a rematch or against some other top-tier boxer). Mayweather's last couple of fights haven't done very well. 

One of the judges in the first Maidana fight saw fit to give it a draw afterall, same with the Canelo fight, which wasn't even close, so he's not immune. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

I still think the Canelo one was a betting scam.  Dunno what the odds on a majority decision for Floyd were exactly, but I'll bet you they were infinitely better than the odds for a unanimous one. 

I'm still struggling to see past Mayweather winning, a lot of people have spoke about how Floyd has struggled with southpaws in the past but I just think he will have it in him to win on points, plus with it being at the MGM everything is going to go his way if it goes to the score cards

I cant see past a Floyd victory either. Bee n watching both manny and floyd fights on youtube and i can see manny winning the early rounds but then floyd will takeover

Let's see how many are at the next Froch fight

I guess it depends on what perspective you take. 

In terms of the US, yes the sport has been in a pretty bad way for a long time now. This is in fact the only fight that can made that will capture the public's imagination, and in recent history, probably the only fight since Tyson was around that could drive any sort of mainstream reach.

The decline in boxing in the US really coincided with the movement of 'big time' boxing to subscription television (HBO and Sho) and PPV. Prior to that, the best were fighting each other on network television, with US audiences in the 10s of millions. Contrast that with the PPV scene in this day and age. Only thrice in the history of PPV boxing has a fight cracked 2 million buys, so you can see how the reach of the sport has shrank and become more niche. 

This fight is likely to break the record, 3 million might be a bit ambitious, but somewhere near that will be the most likely outcome. It will be on both HBO and Sho, and Sho will be able to leverage it's parent company's mainstream assets (CBS). But if you think about it, 3 million isn't a big audience at all when you think about what the potential audience could be in the US. 

The landscape is quite interesting, both Mayweather and Pacquiao really need each other, since both of their numbers have been poor of late. Both have failed to crack a buy rate of 1 million in their last two fights. Mayweather, the so called PPV king, really needed both De La Hoya and Canelo to deliver fights with a buy rate over 2 million. He's a big draw yes, but not as big as he'd have you believe. Outside of those two fights his numbers are very much comparable with Pacquiao's. It's no wonder a lot of pressure was applied on Mayweather, his Sho/CBS contract is absolutely enormous, but his fights whilst under that contract have simply not delivered outside of the Canelo fight. Both Maidana fights and the Guerrero fight did poorly. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Hopefully top level fights returning to network television in the USA will see a resurgence in the sport's popularity.   The short termism of making everything PPV has certainly made a handful of fighters extremely wealthy but it is killing the sport.  I'd love to see a return to the golden era of the 70s and 80s where the top fighters were household names unafraid to test themselves against each other. 

• Like 2

Currently living in Philippines since start of the year and its amazing how much love/passion they have towards Manny. Within first 5 minutes of any conversation with a pinoy, they will be talking about Pacquiao. He really is a god here.They see him as someone who put their nation "on the map". I was planning to take vacation back to england on 2nd May but think ill postpone a couple of days just for the atmosphere here. The whole nation will be watching. Im not even that much of a fan of boxing but defintiely will be watching this and routing for Manny

I was in the Philippines 6 years ago, only for a few days, but I watched quite a lot of telly and was staggered by the sheer amount of Manny on television. The main product seemed to be chicken feed - cock fighting is one of the main sports there, I believe - and it was often Manny lifting bags of chicken feed, posing next to them, looking wistfully at them, all sorts. I wonder if it's changed at all. 

I voted for him to win, but mainly because I want him to, not really because I believe he will. I used to know more about boxing, but I barely know anything now. I'm hoping watching this fight will awaken my interest in it again. 

I guess it depends on what perspective you take.

In terms of the US, yes the sport has been in a pretty bad way for a long time now. This is in fact the only fight that can made that will capture the public's imagination, and in recent history, probably the only fight since Tyson was around that could drive any sort of mainstream reach.

The decline in boxing in the US really coincided with the movement of 'big time' boxing to subscription television (HBO and Sho) and PPV. Prior to that, the best were fighting each other on network television, with US audiences in the 10s of millions. Contrast that with the PPV scene in this day and age. Only thrice in the history of PPV boxing has a fight cracked 2 million buys, so you can see how the reach of the sport has shrank and become more niche.

This fight is likely to break the record, 3 million might be a bit ambitious, but somewhere near that will be the most likely outcome. It will be on both HBO and Sho, and Sho will be able to leverage it's parent company's mainstream assets (CBS). But if you think about it, 3 million isn't a big audience at all when you think about what the potential audience could be in the US.

The landscape is quite interesting, both Mayweather and Pacquiao really need each other, since both of their numbers have been poor of late. Both have failed to crack a buy rate of 1 million in their last two fights. Mayweather, the so called PPV king, really needed both De La Hoya and Canelo to deliver fights with a buy rate over 2 million. He's a big draw yes, but not as big as he'd have you believe. Outside of those two fights his numbers are very much comparable with Pacquiao's. It's no wonder a lot of pressure was applied on Mayweather, his Sho/CBS contract is absolutely enormous, but his fights whilst under that contract have simply not delivered outside of the Canelo fight. Both Maidana fights and the Guerrero fight did poorly.

Didnt pacquiaos last 2 fights average 300k? Mayweather maidana numbers havnt been released so how do you know it did poorly?

Hopefully top level fights returning to network television in the USA will see a resurgence in the sport's popularity.   The short termism of making everything PPV has certainly made a handful of fighters extremely wealthy but it is killing the sport.  I'd love to see a return to the golden era of the 70s and 80s where the top fighters were household names unafraid to test themselves against each other. 

Now with cable and internet, it can never return to that time. Too many options for people, and the younger you are, the greater the chances are that you prefer MMA to boxing. Plus, the promoters know that the prestige as it were, lies in the exclusivity of the event and the PPV aspect of it. When you open that up to free TV, the money flies out the window.