The Fight of the Century (So Far)

maqroll

Pacquiao v Mayweather  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who Will Win?

• Pacquiao
    • Mayweather
    • Draw/No Contest

I can't recall the last fight that generated this level of hype. Maybe Tyson-Holyfield 2...The fact that these guys dragged their feet on this fight for so long may have actually turned it into a bigger spectacle now, even though they're both past their prime.

In any event, the fight will break all kinds of records, the money flow is going to be silly, the spectacle will be one of those boxing events that only happen a few times in one's adult life, if that.

So......what do you guys think?

Who is going to win?

Without any boxing knowledge I think mayweather has bided his time, waited for manny to dip slighty and will now put this to bed before cherry picking another couple of fights and declaring himself the best ever, don't get me wrong there's something special about mayweather but I think 10 years after he retires a record setter people will actually question him, this fight for example, I think he'll win but in my mind he bottled this fight 5 year a go when it would have been harder

The fight should have happened 5/6 years ago. Pacquiao has definitely declined more out of the two. Can see Manny winning the majority of the first 5 rounds, but has the fight goes on I expect Mayweather to adjust and win on points. Much like he did against Judah. Probably 116-112. Pacquiao showed that he still has it in the Bradley rematch and I hope he wins.

Currently living in Philippines since start of the year and its amazing how much love/passion they have towards Manny. Within first 5 minutes of any conversation with a pinoy, they will be talking about Pacquiao. He really is a god here.They see him as someone who put their nation "on the map". I was planning to take vacation back to england on 2nd May but think ill postpone a couple of days just for the atmosphere here. The whole nation will be watching. Im not even that much of a fan of boxing but defintiely will be watching this and routing for Manny

Edited by gharperr

People need to stop saying 'this should have happened 5 years ago'. It's happening now. Just enjoy it and be glad it's happening. Getting boring keep hearing it.

Also Mayweather has declined slightly as well not just Manny. If anything Pacquiao is in great form at the moment. Destroyed limited Algieri and Brandon Rios last time out winning every round. But inbetween them two beat one of the top 10 pound for pounders at that time easily in Tim Bradley on points without getting out of second gear. Even when he got knocked out against Marquez in the first 5 rounds he looked as good as ever and was putting on a masterclass against an opponent he traditionally has struggled with even at his peak. Yeah he got caught with a big shot but that's boxing.

Really hard to call who will win but Floyd has previously struggled with southpaws and all action fighters like Manny so who knows.

Certain the fight will be an anti climax by the way. Can see it being boring as fack due to Floyd's negative style which will be even more negative than usual with the idiotic American crowd booing after the first 5 rounds all the way to the last round.

People need to stop saying 'this should have happened 5 years ago'. It's happening now. Just enjoy it and be glad it's happening. Getting boring keep hearing it.

Also Mayweather has declined slightly as well not just Manny. If anything Pacquiao is in great form at the moment. Destroyed limited Algieri and Brandon Rios last time out winning every round. But inbetween them two beat one of the top 10 pound for pounders at that time easily in Tim Bradley on points without getting out of second gear. Even when he got knocked out against Marquez in the first 5 rounds he looked as good as ever and was putting on a masterclass against an opponent he traditionally has struggled with even at his peak. Yeah he got caught with a big shot but that's boxing.

Really hard to call who will win but Floyd has previously struggled with southpaws and all action fighters like Manny so who knows.

Wouldn't take much from the Rios or Algieri wins. Rios is tailor made for Pacquiao and is close to becoming a vegetable. Algieri should not have been in the same ring as Pacquiao. However the Bradley win was certainly impressive. The biggest challenge of both fighters careers for sure.

Certain the fight will be an anti climax by the way. Can see it being boring as fack due to Floyd's negative style which will be even more negative than usual with the idiotic American crowd booing after the first 5 rounds all the way to the last round.

If the fight is going to be as boring as you predict, who could blame those "idiots" for booing having spent thousands of dollars for a seat? 

Strange post.

If the fight is going to be as boring as you predict, who could blame those "idiots" for booing having spent thousands of dollars for a seat?

Strange post.

Because people who go to watch boxing in Vegas don't actually understand that it isn't always blood and snot, they don't care about the sweet science they want to see someone KTFO

• Like 1

Without any boxing knowledge I think mayweather has bided his time, waited for manny to dip slighty and will now put this to bed before cherry picking another couple of fights and declaring himself the best ever, don't get me wrong there's something special about mayweather but I think 10 years after he retires a record setter people will actually question him, this fight for example, I think he'll win but in my mind he bottled this fight 5 year a go when it would have been harder

Care to explain how he bottled it 5 years ago? Its a fact that Pacquiaos team turned the fight down the very first negotitation by refusing to take random testing.

I think Pac dominates the first 3-4 rounds but then Mayweather will take over and get the decision after 12 rounds.

Strange post.

Because people who go to watch boxing in Vegas don't actually understand that it isn't always blood and snot, they don't care about the sweet science they want to see someone KTFO
Spot on.

Mayweathers fight against Canelo was a boxing masterclass, the footwork, timing of punches and accuracy. Ive actually watched that fight a few timescnow because i enjoyed it so much. Yet Mayweather was boo'd

Both fighters have been guilty of ducking this one until this point - and at this moment in time who wins doesn't matter. This is a  cash out for both of them. $200m each thanks very much. I expect a fairly boring fight with a Mayweather sneaking it in the last round or two to protect his unbeaten record. Of course..... they cynic in me says Manny wins and we brace ourselves for a best of 3 worth $bns.

The reason there's so much hype about it is becase they're really just about the only 2 personalities in boxing right now with any mainstream impact. The sport is in a very bad way, and I don't think this fight will help inspire new fans. 

The reason there's so much hype about it is becase they're really just about the only 2 personalities in boxing right now with any mainstream impact. The sport is in a very bad way, and I don't think this fight will help inspire new fans.

Well over 80,000 fans at Froch v Groves suggests you're so so wrong.

• Like 1

Well over 80,000 fans at Froch v Groves suggests you're so so wrong.

I think that there is a difference between a load of part time English fans getting hyped up over a fight and the world getting hyped up by two of the best P4P boxers over the last ten years

I doubt that there were many people over the pond interested in Froch and Groves part 1 or 2

Just repeating what I said in the boxing thread, this fight is so far past it's sell by date that whatever happens it won't affect either fighters legacy and it wont answer the question of who was the better fighter (for my money peak Pacquiao beats peak Floyd) but I fancy Floyd to take it on points. Possibly wide.