How much will DOL get to spend in the Summer?

lexicon

How much then?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. How much then?

• 15mil + (as we have made CL)
    • 10-14mil (UEFA)
    • 5-9mil (UEFA alternative)
    • 1-4mil (mid table)

yet look at our signings.

I know. Fantastic what progress we've made in just 18 months.

Give me an open chequebook and the squad that was already in place and I could give you progress

Ignorance of it's highest form. What do you expect? Who wants to join us when we're not in Europe and haven't done anything for over 10 years? Good luck trying to persuade people to join us. Do you not understand how these things work? You have to build up slowly, gradually improving the squad..which is what we are doing, very well might I add. It doesn't come over night.

Some football fans are such idiots sometimes.

I think some are just worried that Lerner is being cheap and not giving MON the money he needs to really progress well.

Seriously where are the major signings? Young for 9 million. Sure he's a good player but we need a class player.

Regarding our transfers under MON and after Lerner took over I would say pretty much everyone is feeling a bit down about it.

We have brought in a few classy players and a bunch of mediocre ones. Taken us forward, yes no doubt, but in my opinion certainly

not as far as he could have taken us. Progression will always be, well, progression, but as other teams build faster or equally quick

we will always be a horses' head behind, as well as five behind the big teams.

I would imagine DOL will have a fair amount of cash available to him in the summer, from his pay offs at Leeds and Villa and through sales of his book and other media work.

More than enough for a fortnight with the family somewhere nice I would have thought. Throw in some spending money, some new clothes and maybe one or two new things around the house, probably about £15,000 I'd say.

Regarding our transfers under MON and after Lerner took over I would say pretty much everyone is feeling a bit down about it.

We have brought in a few classy players and a bunch of mediocre ones. Taken us forward, yes no doubt, but in my opinion certainly

not as far as he could have taken us. Progression will always be, well, progression, but as other teams build faster or equally quick

we will always be a horses' head behind, as well as five behind the big teams.

To be fair:

Young - £9.65m

Petrov - £7m

Davies - £9-10m (it's a done deal)

NRC - £8m

Harewood - £4m

Maloney - £1m

Carson - loan - £2.5m

Knight - £3.5m

There was also talk that we were in for Gordon, but he chose Sunderland over us to be closer to his native Scotland, so that would have been another 8mill or so. Also talk of us signing Carson permanently for 10mill.

He's also funded the training ground and restored the Holte Hotel and we haven't sold anyone for any large sum of money from what my memory tells me, so this is pretty much all funded at a loss.

Lets not forget he's paid a big sum of money to buy the club also. This is all in the last year.

I'm sure he would have spent alot more had MON been able to obtain some of the players he wanted, like SWP - he said himself he tried to get him, aswel as Young.

I honestly don't think we have a budget at VP, and we'll be one of the big spenders in January, again. Randy is a fantastic chairman, and I don't think he's tight in any way.

Apart from those that I talk to that go to the games that is.

Yes its strange that one isn't it. I've been to every home home game and a couple of away games and I've yet to hear anyone say that they are downbeat about Mons signings.

And I bet others with a different view point would say different :roll:

Yes its strange that one isn't it. I've been to every home home game and a couple of away games and I've yet to hear anyone say that they are downbeat about Mons signings.

I'm a better fan than you alert!

:roll:

:roll:

You know, if I lived back in the UK, I would have this claim!!

Do you speak to every single person in the ground?

Do you speak to every single person in the ground?

Don't be ridiculous Ali, its just that there seems to be an awful lot more whining on here than what I see at games. Maybe its different in other stands to the Holte, I don't know.

It's probably about the same. The percentage of people on here complaining about this that or the other is very small. Just as it is in the ground.

I must admit though, I've never met any Villa fans in real life that are as negative as some of the Villa fans on here. Certainly not since Dougie pissed off anyway.

We have gone forward no doubt about it, we have gotten a few good players in Young, Carson (loan) and Carew. We have also gotten a few mediocre ones in Reo-Coker and Petrov. We have had many poor ones such as Harewood, Knight, Bardsley, Agathe, Sutton, Maloney and such players (regardless). Remember, we have in a position where we have to catch up, with many years. No doubt we are going forward, but it's going slow. In honest opinion, MON could have done much better in the transfer market, both in terms of quality and the amount of players.

We have gone forward no doubt about it, we have gotten a few good players in Young, Carson (loan) and Carew. We have also gotten a few mediocre ones in Reo-Coker and Petrov. We have had many poor ones such as Harewood, Knight, Bardsley, Agathe, Sutton, Maloney and such players (regardless). Remember, we have in a position where we have to catch up, with many years. No doubt we are going forward, but it's going slow. In honest opinion, MON could have done much better in the transfer market, both in terms of quality and the amount of players.

Agathe and Sutton were stop gaps that cost us nothing. It's hard to criticise MON on those 2, sure they didnt set the world on fire by any means but they were brought in as squad fillers that could do a job and didn't cost us a penny outside of wages.

The same could be said of Bardsley really, he was a rightback fill in. Harewood was bought as bench filler that might be able to do a job. I think the fee we paid for him says alot about the position the club is in now. We can afford to spend 4 mill on a bench warmer. Knight hasn't been that bad really. He dropped a huge clanger of a performance against Man U but otherwise he's not been that bad IMO. Not brilliant either to be fair, but I'm fairly sure he's a stop gap too, allowing Mellberg to go out right. Maloney cost a small fee and he's looked to have a bit of class about him, hasn't settled but that's not MON's fault. Petrov has started to show the kind of talent we expected when he signed, again he's struggled to adapt to the Prem but he's started to come good now. And so on.

I'd be interested to hear exactly who you would have bought in managers position, realistically. For me, he's not done a whole lot wrong. The rightback is his big failing so far but if he wants a certain player, I can't argue against him waiting till he can have him. Considering the season we've had so far, it's not even been that big of an issue.

Can't see how you can judge Maloney as "poor".

Let's come back at 5 pm today to see how he's done against Man C.

Also we can see about Petrov and Reo-Coker as "mediocre"

Maloney is probably the king of the Holte End at the moment and is not because he is a poor player. Sutton was excellent while he was here, our best striker. I agree the boss could have done better in the market but there isn't a single manager that couldn't do better in the transfer market.

Â