England's troubled Champions League record

Marka Ragnos

Well, England's out -- again. From a just-posted ESPN news analysis:

• This is the second time in three years that England has no teams in the Champions League quarterfinals. Before 2013, that hadn't happened since 1996, when Blackburn was England's sole Champions League participant.

• In the past four seasons, England has put a total of three teams in the Champions League quarters. In the four years before that (2008-11), England had 13 quarterfinalists, more than twice as many as any other country (Spain was next with six). From 2004 to 2007, England put eight teams in the quarterfinals, second only to Italy's nine.

What's going on? Are Europe getting better? Are we not? 

The poor standard of the Premier League is finally starting to catch up with the top teams. The football is rubbish in England and the PL is rubbish. There's only so long you can play 30/38 games a season against garbage without it having some effect on you

Liverpool never got going this season until it was to late

Arsenal put in a terrible home performance against Monaco

Chelsea the same against PSG

Man City were just outclassed by Barcelona.

I don't we are any worse or European teams any better really, except Barcelona have improved their strikeforce.. 

all the money in the world and Premier LEague still cant attract the stars and never been able to. Can pay as many mediocre players 80k a week you want but how many world class players in their prime has the league been able to attract

Ballack, Shevchenko maybe Veron and Crespo. The rest either turned up as youngsters, past their prime or while still in development or failed at other European clubs

wasnt really the point I was making whether they did well or not

Yeah but I think it's nevertheless relevant, the "big name, top of their game, world class players" that did come, were all flops. None of them succeeded. Does that mean maybe they weren't that good? Or their other leagues made them look better than they actually were? 

The PL was decent enough at that time

• Like 1

How of them would make the Barcelona  first eleven. Not Sanchez they sold him, De Gea maybe!

Yeah but I think it's nevertheless relevant, the "big name, top of their game, world class players" that did come, were all flops. None of them succeeded. Does that mean maybe they weren't that good? Or their other leagues made them look better than they actually were? 

Maybe they were a little past their prime when they came. 

i dont know where to start. Ballack who came 2nd and 3rd place player at 2 World Cups in a weak German team or Andriy Shevchenko a former Ballon D'Or winner for a start

i dont know where to start. Ballack who came 2nd and 3rd place player at 2 World Cups in a weak German team or Andriy Shevchenko a former Ballon D'Or winner for a start

I'm aware of that. That doesn't address my point though, if they were so good as to be worldies, why did they fail so badly in England?

Tbf I think a bit of it is just a reminder that football is cyclical, didn't bayern go 30 years without a European cup before becoming the greatest team in the world ever that they are now? And if you believe some on here barca were shit anyway

Do believe that the increase in money has led to the prem losing touch with reality, I don't think anyone has a sense of where the median is anymore, both in terms of quality and salary, every player seems blown out of proportion, agree with zatman with that world class list, I might add fabregas cos I like him but he's in a hard bracket, but the reality is aguero despite being world class is 20 goals behind messi and Ronaldo

Said last week after Chelsea got knocked out that SSN were quick to spout that it's because the prem is this great competitive league with so much quality at the bottom, anyone can beat anyone, I don't agree, I think there is nowhere near as much quality at the top as we are constantly told

Not sure if it's the money, the superstardom, the culture here or what but I would say that the effort and organisation off the ball that has made the likes of barca, Spain, atletico, Dortmund, bayern, germany successful over the last decade doesn't exist amongst our teams, the passing and technique argument that has seemingly always existed is still there but now work rate is questionable which is a real worry, go back to England vs chile in the friendly where chiles ability to press as a team (and Sanchez every week for arsenal still) embarrassed us

• Like 1

With the monopoly of the old sky 4 now broken, clubs that finishing top 4 and getting CL places aren't just waltzing into the top 4 again the following season. The league is a lot closer, especially among the top 7 or 8, and clubs are having to work harder to compete in the league.

It's a good thing.

Even if England lose a CL spot, it's a good thing for English football.

• Like 1

The poor standard of the Premier League is finally starting to catch up with the top teams. The football is rubbish in England and the PL is rubbish. There's only so long you can play 30/38 games a season against garbage without it having some effect on you

You obviously don't watch Seria  or La Liga.

I'm aware of that. That doesn't address my point though, if they were so good as to be worldies, why did they fail so badly in England?

I wouldn't say Ballack failed in England.

• Like 2

Said last week after Chelsea got knocked out that SSN were quick to spout that it's because the prem is this great competitive league with so much quality at the bottom, anyone can beat anyone.......

I saw some hack on Sky's "Sunday Supplement" come up with that line as well. The reason English clubs can't do well in Europe at the moment is because the league is so strong. Please.

I always end up defending the honour of Spanish cannon-fodder in those regular discussions about how supposedly more competitive the Premier League is, but the reality is that Granada, Rayo, Elche, Almeria etc often (not always) get on the end of good-hidings is simply that Real Madrid and Barcelona are better sides than those at the top in England, and with ridiculous arrays of attacking talent, such as if they get it right on the day they will run riot. 

In the last two seasons this is the record that England's CL contingent has had against the top three in Spain:  P8 W0 D1 L7.  If the elite English sides, Chelsea, Liverpool and City are getting beaten practically every time against the best Spanish teams then what does anyone really think Madrid or Barcelona would do on their own ground to QPR or Burnley?

There's all sorts of other crackpot theories now being given an airing in the press. There should be a winter break, reserve teams need to be in the Football League ,squads are too small, and for all I know, not enough attention is paid to astrology, but there's a much simpler reason - at the moment the top English teams aren't quite good enough. There is an unwarranted arrogance about the assumed strength of the PL over other leagues which is masking this simple truth.

• Like 4

all the money in the world and Premier LEague still cant attract the stars and never been able to. Can pay as many mediocre players 80k a week you want but how many world class players in their prime has the league been able to attract

Ballack, Shevchenko maybe Veron and Crespo. The rest either turned up as youngsters, past their prime or while still in development or failed at other European clubs

Ozil and Di Maria surely fit into this category which ever way you spin it.

And this sort of argument doesn't explain well why the Premier League was absolutely dominant in that 2008-2011 period at Champions League level.

Â