Team GB

Marka Ragnos

So little love for Team GB. It's a little over a year to the 2016 Olympics in Rio, and this strange concatenation of disparate players that is Team GB seems to get so little affection or attention.

What's the deal? [uPDATE: SEE BELOW. LINK WAS TO OLD TEAM - APOLOGIES ]

It's an interesting group with some amazing players, but I can't help wonder about some of the notable absences, too.

(Tried to find a thread on this and couldn't -- moderators, be my guest of merging if there's a Team GB thread I missed.)

Edited by Plastic Man

Is there actually going to be a team?

I know it's being talked about but I thought it was far from confirmed.

With a decent manager they could do ok to be fair. But I don't really think football should be at the olympics.

the english FA are trying to get a team together, the other 3 are moaning like **** about it again

i still dont really understand the argument against it, it doesnt undermine their FAs, theres absolutely no danger of FIFA trying to merge us and its not the english FAs fault if none of their players are good enough to play, or if they are good enough to play then why deny them a tournament?

at the moment we could have robertson and gauld from scotland, davies from wales then ramsey, bale

never seen the problem with it

• Like 2

from 2012, doubt be a team GB in Rio

though if England get to Under 21 semi finals they might change their mind

Wow Didn't realise! Doh!  Perhaps change thread name to Demise of Team GB?

Edited by Plastic Man

As vlla4europe says the English FA is for it and the other 3 other FA's squeal like stuck pigs over it. Can't see a problem. If they don't like it I would just pick English players instead. 

• Like 1

Not particularly interested in a team GB, happy to sit this one out and happy for england to stick a team in under that name if they feel they have players (and managers) that would like the extra games when they moan about existing friendlies and qualifiers....

Anybody that thinks a team GB wouldn't add to the African nations claiming 'we' should only ever be a team GB is fooling themselves. Not worth the risk.

I was all up for it in 2012 as a one off with it being a home Olympics but really if there is one for this games it would be basically England under 21s under that name.

There's next to no chance of Bale in this...if the bloke can't be bothered to play in a home Olympics he won't be going to Brazil just before the start of the season.

I think they'll be a women's one instead as that won't cause as much fuss.

im sure the other 3 can veto it though

So is that the reason there is no Team GB? Incredible to think that the country that invented AF isn't fielding a team.

The reasons are quite understandable though. Undermining the legitimacy of the four home nations is a genuine concern.

So is that the reason there is no Team GB? Incredible to think that the country that invented AF isn't fielding a team.

The reasons are quite understandable though. Undermining the legitimacy of the four home nations is a genuine concern.

Yes, I hear you. The curious case of Team GB is obviously a complicated nest of issues. I think the ironies of it are pretty interesting though, although I can see why Britons would find it dull.

A GB football team kind of shits on the history of international football, for me. The concept was born out of England and Scotland playing each other. Those two nations (along with Wales and Norn Iron granted) forming a combined team kind of feels wrong. Having said that, I can't recall the last time I really cared about the England national side, so maybe it shouldn't really bother me. 

A GB football team kind of shits on the history of international football, for me. The concept was born out of England and Scotland playing each other. Those two nations (along with Wales and Norn Iron granted) forming a combined team kind of feels wrong. Having said that, I can't recall the last time I really cared about the England national side, so maybe it shouldn't really bother me. 

I'd agree with this IF it was done for real international football.

But just for the sake of the olympics I think it's ok, as we can't enter teams individually for it.

But, as I said before, I don't think Football should be in the olympics anyway so it's a moot point

I'd agree with this IF it was done for real international football.

But just for the sake of the olympics I think it's ok, as we can't enter teams individually for it.

But, as I said before, I don't think Football should be in the olympics anyway so it's a moot point

Totally agree about football not being at the Olympics. 

true but I think the other nations are also probably worried they will be mainly English dominated as well

Â