Defence

sexbelowsound

Just to bump the thread and give some props.

Another clean sheet, 9 for the season and only 18 conceded in 17 games.

Was perhaps a bit too casual in possession last night but it's a joy to see how good they work together as a unit and how they constantly fist bump each other after a blocked shot or after getting the ball away from danger. Seems to have created a attitude where they see each passage of play like a mini game that they want to win. I like it.

Obviously it's a team game and it all starts with the work Watkins puts in at the other end of the pitch which is crucial but our defensive unit with Martinez and the back 4 really deserves all the praise they get and more. And so does Terry and whoever else is involved in breeding this attitude.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sne said:

Just to bump the thread and give some props.

Another clean sheet, 9 for the season and only 18 conceded in 17 games.

Was perhaps a bit too casual in possession last night but it's a joy to see how good they work together as a unit and how they constantly fist bump each other after a blocked shot or after getting the ball away from danger. Seems to have created a attitude where they see each passage of play like a mini game that they want to win. I like it.

Obviously it's a team game and it all starts with the work Watkins puts in at the other end of the pitch which is crucial but our defensive unit with Martinez and the back 4 really deserves all the praise they get and more. And so does Terry and whoever else is involved in breeding this attitude.

Just coming n here to post the same thing. They are striving for clean sheets and that is the base you build wins on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ferguson1 said:

Emi, Cash, Konsa, Mings, Targett.  😍

Quite simply a brilliant back 5 to have.  Yes, they make the odd mistake but we’re truly blessed to them.

Agreed, the back 5 are great. 

On the wider topic though I do worry that there isn't a fat lot in reserve. 

Just now, av1 said:

Agreed, the back 5 are great. 

On the wider topic though I do worry that there isn't a fat lot in reserve. 

Yep and I think we’ll address this in the summer.  Kessler might be one back up but Taylor and Engels will surely be replaced.  

What an absolutely fantastic back 5 we now have.  Each and everyone one of them are least worth double than what we paid for them!

Doing a quick calculation I thing we paid less for all 5 of them than Manure paid for Harry MaGuire which is truly incredible!

This year has been a massive improvement and having a good keeper in Martinez has definitely helped.

Not trying to be the party proper but I would like to see us more organised rather than backs to wall throw ourselves at everything.

Burnley and last night showed that...10 players in the box...right back at left centre half...centre halves behind the goalie....centre halves retreating from crosses rather than attacking them (mings at burnley)....almost like we defended last season...8 players in 6 yard box when Wood scored...thats not very good.

We have allowed teams to come at us by doing this recently amd lost the outlet when we do clear it as everyone is back in the box....let the defenders defend...midfielders track the runners if needed...results have great so far...can it go a season...who knows.

Edited by Bazmonkey
Spelling

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

12th clean sheet this season. Impressive and what an improvement! 

Not singling anyone out, as it's a team effort, but it's pretty fantastic. 

Amazing feat considering how hard they have to work, midfield balance is all wrong at the minute, get that right and it gives Targett and Cash licence to get forward more again. 

Need to get back to dominating possession and make the lads at the back jobs a little easier.

Offense is the best defense. 

• 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Considering a touch over two years ago we were mid table championship. Hell of a transformation.

Even last season we had worst defence and goal difference until near the end

• Like 1

Wasn't one of the main things said about Smith that his team could never defend :D  That critique seem to have faded away somewhat.

He also never changed his style, even thou we did after the covid break which helped keep us in the league.

• Like 1

Â