Defence

sexbelowsound

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

There are clear problems in The back 5......But the whole defensive side of our game through the team is flawed/woeful.

and it doesn't matter what personnel we put out its still the same.

well thats because its an organisational shambles. a centre back playing right back. defensive midfielder playing centre back and a right back playing left back

• Like 1

We could have stopped the Elphick loan yesterday but do suspect that Bruce is trying to create a situation where he can bring Terry back. I mean how many games did Jedinak miss last season, he hasn't had a proper rest because of the World Cup so am amazed he has played all the games so far.

It's going to back fire on him big style.

1 hour ago, KSV said:

We need Terry back :(

I get the sentiment but I don't think he is the answer.

We have enough 'old heads' so to speak in Hutton, Jedinak & Whelan etc.

I think we would have got that big lad the other day but I have a feeling when it came to Bruce selling the club to him he was told a heep of shit to put him off (Because he was not a Bruce signing) and therefore the player has said no thank you - without cleverly burning his bridges with us.

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I get the sentiment but I don't think he is the answer.

We have enough 'old heads' so to speak in Hutton, Jedinak & Whelan etc.

I think we would have got that big lad the other day but I have a feeling when it came to Bruce selling the club to him he was told a heep of shit to put him off (Because he was not a Bruce signing) and therefore the player has said no thank you - without cleverly burning his bridges with us.

We lack organisation. I think Terry is exactly what we need.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KSV said:

He is 37, it would take him a few weeks to get sharp and match fit and then we go through the season on egg shells worrying because he is only a tackle away from being crocked for a few months like he was last season.

For me Chester should have picked up enough experience from him combined with his own to now be our leader and the organisation etc. and we have Tuanzebe.

It's a no from me.

17 minutes ago, KSV said:

I've always thought organisation is more a coaching thing. Leadership on the pitch is one thing, but we got that covered in defence. Organisation in my opinion, is what happens on BMH on week days. 

I'd also argue we look less organised with Jedinak there, simply because he isn't a good CB. My impression is that Jedinak gambles on his positioning a lot, which often leads to Chester being dragged out of position to cover. 

Now if your argument is that Terry is a much better CB than Jedinak, then yes, I fully agree.  ?

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

15 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

He is 37, it would take him a few weeks to get sharp and match fit and then we go through the season on egg shells worrying because he is only a tackle away from being crocked for a few months like he was last season.

For me Chester should have picked up enough experience from him combined with his own to now be our leader and the organisation etc. and we have Tuanzebe.

It's a no from me.

I think we need him more then just playing him, I’d sign him up just to have him around the players, I think he is the type of character that makes players give that extra 10/20% regardless if he is on the pitch or not.

4 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

I think we need him more then just playing him, I’d sign him up just to have him around the players, I think he is the type of character that makes players give that extra 10/20% regardless if he is on the pitch or not.

Surely that is the job of the manager though?

Again I get the sentiment but can't see it happening.

"The defence rests M'lud." Too often in the case of our defence already this season. The time has come to dismiss any decision that was made not to call John Terry back to shore up our leaking defence on grounds of age. Our season depends on it and it would be gross negligence not to act now without any further delay. Pick up the phone and call John Terry!

Bruce leaving the defence so bare and disjointed is absolutely disgraceful, especially given the fact that was his position when he played. 

Would a Steven Gerrard team lack fight or a Brendan Rogers team not play in triangles?

Bruce's style is defend leads. How the hell did he expect this defence to defend leads? That has been Bruce's formula for success with Villa since February 2017 so why leave yourself so short in continuing what you have been good at? It makes no sense at all and suggests to me that he has no idea what to do next in order to kick us on that bit further needed to get out of this league. He needs changing and so does that defence!

Whenever I see Chester he looks like someone who is an example of a great professional with his application and attitude but something also tells me he does not particularly relish the responsibility as captain and I thing this weighs down on him quite a bit.

Just compare when we won that pre season cup with Terry, he stepped up dispute the embarrisment ( the cup looked stupid) but held his own and did it like a captain should.Chester,when given the same opportunity pre season, shurked it with a show of what looked like embarresssemt.

I think the reason Chester was so good last season was because he had Terry beside him. But as the 'main" man he is suffering.

This observation is not in isolation as Jedi should not be playing as his partner.

Edited by dounavilla
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, sne said:

Can we just try a back 4 with:

RDL - Chester - Tuanzebe - Hutton

See how it goes.

It's not ideal, but at least it's surely better than the obviously not working mess we have now.

Agree with this, and maybe even have Jedinak playing the DM role in front of that back four if we are up against a physical side. It cannot be any worse than what we have witnessed so far this season.

Â