Defence

sexbelowsound

With 3/5 of our Centre-backs seemingly in and out of the treatment room what are the options going into next season?

Who would you replace? Would you give Vlaar a new deal? Do we have any youngsters that are waiting in the wings like Donacien?

Okore and Clark seem to have formed an excellent partnership which I think will flourish given time so for me we need an experienced back up centre half or two who aren't injury concerns and another young up and comer.

No new deal for Vlaar. That would be silly given his injuries this season (they were bad before, but this season has been ridiculous)

Okore and Clark are first choice other than Vlaar. I think baker will be kept as backup, and hopefully Senderos' is injury will be a one off rather than a recurring thing (has he a history of injuries?)

If we've got Okore, Clark, Baker and Senderos then that isn't too bad. But we could probably do with a decent CB signing to tighten up the gaps left by injuries.

• Like 1

It's incredible how the defence now is completely different to the one that was supposed to be Lambert's first choice and used at the start of the season. I guess it shows that there really isn't much between our players in terms of quality, what matters is form, belief and consistency. One thing Lambert was totally right about was having 5 senior CBs, when most people would have thought that's way too much. 

If Vlaar leaves I'd like to see Sherwood get a very uninspiring but experienced CB and also address the LB position where we have 5 or so players, yet no one seems to be good enough. 

Could Lowton nail down that left back position? Seems pretty handy at it atm.

I think what we need to remember is that Lowton (and Bacuna) have put these good performances in against WBA and Sunderland, who are hardly the best attacking teams around.

April will prove a lot more difficult for them if they remain in those positions. Not that I'm saying they won't manage. Just that tat will be the true test of whether either of them will be "nailing down" those positions.

Surely Donacien and some of our other youngsters can fill in as 5th choice cb option?

Sherwood is not against giving young players a go

Not against giving the right young players a go.  

For me, Vlaar is the last bastion of negativity and I wouldn't be offering him a new contract. We have enough good CBs (Inc. youth) without him "tagging along". 

Okore and Clark have earned the right to be first choice for the foreseeable future. Vlaar is the wrong side of 30 and very injury prone, he has also been total shite this season, so on that basis he should be let go. Senderos and Baker should be decent cover but perhaps we could do with someone to offer really fierce competition to Okore/Clark. 

I like Vlaar and I'm not about to start questioning his character just because he's been injured but he's obviously too prone at this point in his career to justify a new deal.

I don't really know how good Donacien is tbh. I reckon Sherwood will take a look at him in pre-season before he decides whether we need another.

As others have pointed out, it does depend what league we're in, and also if we're in the Europa which is still possible at this point. 

• Like 1

In Okore and Clark, we hopefully have our centre-back duo for the next few seasons. No need to offer Vlaar a new deal, not that I think he'd be open to renewing. I don't rate Baker so I'd like to see him sold. I was never a fan of Senderos but looked decent in the few games he did play, don't mind him sticking around as back-up. So if both Vlaar and Baker do leave then we would need another centre-vack, preferably someone with potential who can provide real competition to Clark and Okore.

At right-back, I'd be happy enough with Hutton and Bacuna as our options. Okore can cover there too. As for left-back, I like Cissokho as a solid defensive option, though perhaps we could add a more rounded player to challenge him. Lowton isn't the answer, he doesn't have the capabilities to regularly play full-back at this level. Richardson will in liklihood get more opportunities to stake a claim in this position this season.

As for left-back, I like Cissokho as a solid defensive option, though perhaps we could add a more rounded player to challenge him. Lowton isn't the answer, he doesn't have the capabilities to regularly play full-back at this level. Richardson will in liklihood get more opportunities to stake a claim in this position this season.

Bennett? I think he is the sort of player that Sherwood could work with. His confidence was shot when he went out on loan but there is potentially a player in there if he can get it back (even as cover for Cissokho)

Could Lowton nail down that left back position? Seems pretty handy at it atm.

I think what we need to remember is that Lowton (and Bacuna) have put these good performances in against WBA and Sunderland, who are hardly the best attacking teams around.

April will prove a lot more difficult for them if they remain in those positions. Not that I'm saying they won't manage. Just that tat will be the true test of whether either of them will be "nailing down" those positions.

Left back is still our most problematic position. Aly has been better (especially defensively) than Luna, Bennet and others that we've tried there, thereby solidifying that spot somewhat. I still would like to see someone with more attacking skills there. Lowton has those skills, but is on the wrong side so can't take full advantage of his best asset, which is crossing with his right foot. As we all know, Lowton is also suspect defensively, so I don't think this is a long term solution that we have today. I am one of those who see potential in Bennet, but how far would that take him, even with some Sherwood confidence boot camp, I don't know.

At right back we have three guys (Hutton, Lowton, Bacuna) with different skills, but none of them have it all. However, as suggested by others already, we can use these guys according to past performance, our opponent and Tim's tactics, and have good cover for injuries and suspensions. So no major worries there.

I am so happy we finally seem to have solid stability at center back with Clark and Okore. They still have things to learn, but it's looking very good. On paper we also have very good cover with Vlaar, Senderos, Baker and Donacien, but we seem to need all of them, and more (Lowton and even Sanchez). I would let Vlaar go, and sign someone cheaper in his place, who has experience and can do the job occationally when the others are injured or suspended.

All in all, I'm pretty confident with our defense for next season aswell. They're not world beaters, but good enough for a mid table finish next season, which would be a good result.

Bennett? I think he is the sort of player that Sherwood could work with. His confidence was shot when he went out on loan but there is potentially a player in there if he can get it back (even as cover for Cissokho)

Decent shout. I remember him against Chelsea last season being very good even though he was out of the squad for a spell. There is a player in there - would like to see it on a consistent basis.

Â