maqroll

Surnames  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What Does Your Surname Signify?

• Occupation
    • Geographic Location
    • Description (Physical or Otherwise)
    • Other

I'm someone's son. Bloke called Morris, apparently, which is nice.

Family back-story would definitely involve some common or garden Nordic pillaging and rapey behaviour.

Mine has 2 very different meanings, derived from an Old English nickname. One means nun-like, which was either used as a genuine description or sarcastically, the other means 'by the stream', apparently. It's supposed to have first appeared in Worcestershire, and doesn't appear to have traveled much in the UK as it's stayed most commonly in the Worcestershire/Warwickshire/West Mids region IIRC. Away from the UK, it seems to have ended up most abundantly in Australia, so it's likely a few distant relatives way back when weren't terribly nun-like...

• Like 1

It makes you realise how interesting the stories behind some names can be here.  You go into Eastern Europe or Scandinavia and they all just mean "son of" don't they?  It took me years to realise that the entire Bulgarian national team's surnames ending in "ev" or "ov" wasn't a coincidence. :lol: 

• Like 1

It makes you realise how interesting the stories behind some names can be here. You go into Eastern Europe or Scandinavia and they all just mean "son of" don't they? It took me years to realise that the entire Bulgarian national team's surnames ending in "ev" or "ov" wasn't a coincidence. :lol:

I will assume that is the case with the Yugoslav/Serbian 'ic' then.

Surprisingly, my name means "Son of Stephen".

I've been told in the past that it originated in Grimsby, which made me think it may have gotten here from Scandinavia (especially given the "son").

But a google tells me it's earliest appearance was in Huntingdonshire, and is probably of Norman origin (which I guess could be Scandinavia originally?)

So your name is Steven son of Stephen? 

We were satisfied in our initial research that this surname was of French origins, and in a sense it is! It may be a development of the Olde French 'Lievre', itself a development of the original German 'Lieber' and translating as 'the hard one'.

#bringyourdinner

• Like 1