Singing Section

Wainy316

I know the Brigada sing all game with an emphasis on atmosphere but didn't realise this was getting official backing from the club.  I thought the Drums and flags/banners worked well for the West Brom game and it starts properly next week with the Swansea game.  Should be a welcome atmosphere boost for those run of the mill home games and there may even be extra an oomph with the recent good feeling surrounding the club again.

Does anyone have any idea where exactly this section will be?  They usually have the very back corner of L8 but it seems to have moved around throughout the various cup games.

http://www.myoldmansaid.com/holte-end-singing-section-trial-set-for-the-rest-of-season-at-villa-park/

Holte End Singing Section Trial set for the Rest of Season at Villa Park
by MOMS -  Mar 6, 2015

7-fa-cups-brigada-1874.jpg?w=700

Holte Gets New Section

At the recent Aston Villa Supporters Trust AGM meeting with Tom Fox in February, MOMS asked Tom Fox and Nicola Keye about the possibility of a ‘singing section’ (for want of a better term), a section where fans can bring banners, be noisy, express themselves and have more lenient treatment from stewards (as they would be in a section of like-minded fans, thus the need to consider others would be less).

After other clubs like Crystal Palace, Sunderland and Manchester City have had the foresight to work with their supporters to create similar sections, it was only right that the mighty Holte End, once the biggest single standing terrace in Europe should have one.

The response suggested it was something they were open to and already thinking about it, as they were full of praise for ‘our ultras’.

The idea for such a section is something Brigada 1874 aka ‘our ultras’ have long campaigned for and with their efforts in all the previous rounds of this year’s FA Cup, the club finally saw the benefits of what they were doing – supporting a team for the entire 90 minutes and also putting in time and effort to make displays to celebrate the club.

If more fans joined in, the results could be even more impressive and beneficial to the home atmosphere.

Trial Start

The club have proposed to start the trial of the section in L7 and L8 of the Holte End from the next home game against Swansea City. The trial will cover the five home games left until the end of the season.

It’s perhaps took another relegation battle (with dwindling attendances) for the penny to drop that something new has to be done to energise support. As the Football Supporters Federation have constantly told MOMS in the past when there’s been issues,clubs like to ‘control’ everything in their ground and not take chances. It’s understandable, but at the same time it can lead to sterile atmospheres and with increasing ticket prices, poor entertainment and value for money.

The section will allow supporters including the Brigada 1874 to up the noise levels and also plan bigger displays (a drum has even been allowed in).  When the lads and ladies of the upper Holte (especially K4,5,6) are in full voice, with an increased atmosphere from the Lower Holte, it could be the start of something impressive.

How to get in the section

It’s unclear if there would be any differences in price, but MOMS would certainly support a slight deduction in consideration for the effort and time these supporters put in with the cost of displays etc.

Unfortunately, at the moment you can’t move your ST into those sections and have to book game by game, but it’s a positive step in the right direction. The section also comes sooner than perhaps was expected.

The club will make an official announcement on Monday about details for the section in L7 & L8.

New Name Please

Of course, the club labelling it a ‘singing section’ will cause some unease/misunderstanding with fans, but I think that’s a case of ‘what do you call it?’. Any supporters with good ideas, drop them in the comments below or on MOMS Facebook. 

What about ‘Left side’?icon_smile.gif?w=700

Traditionalists will argue that the Holte always has a voice and better football on the pitch would help the atmosphere. But you can’t escape from the fact that something has to be done, as people are increasingly priced out of going and the onus is on TV.

TV ironically is actually helping focus clubs to the matter of doing something about poor atmospheres at home stadiums across the Premier League. After all, they are getting a lot of money for a product that will lose its shine, if overseas viewers are seeing little atmosphere and passion at games.

Anyway, it’s a positive move for those supporters who want a bit more freedom to express themselves and currently feel uncomfortable doing so in their current section.

Bridge to Safe Standing

In many ways having such a section at Villa Park will be a bridge to the hopeful introduction of safe standing at the ground. It’s a natural transition and the example the section will set can only help the continued process of persuading the powers that be that safe standing is a no-brainer for football.

Fight Like Lions 

In other news, the Brigada’s banner ‘Fight Like Lions’ will be hung from the Holte for the rest of the season. UTV

• Like 1

I **** hate drummers at football matches, sing all you like, but learn some bloody player songs rather than European cup winning songs, losing to other shit teams at home whilst they sing about beating bayern Munich is depressing

• Like 3

I **** hate drummers at football matches, sing all you like, but learn some bloody player songs rather than European cup winning songs, losing to other shit teams at home whilst they sing about beating bayern Munich is depressing

See, I thought until I went to a Bundesliga game. If there's a bit of coordination and you have someone who can actually play the drums then it works well

I am all for anything that creates any kind of atmosphere at the moment.

Villa park is in desperate need of some energy on and off the pitch.

My like is for the first part of this. Drummers are one step away from the ******* England band. No thanks!

• Like 4

It masks the long periods of silence.  I went to Celtic (against Hamilton) the other week and they had about 100 ultras with a drum and it sounded like the whole stadium was pumped when in reality about 2% of the ground where doing anything.

I'm taking some Germans to the game next week, I need us to give them a decent atmosphere.

L7 and L8, like it says in the article :)

I meant where within L7 and L8, as they've moved around that.  Honest.

pretty much all of the top half of L8, not sure where they are in L7

they moved lower down for the FA cup game, you can see where it is from the picture, thats the steps between L7/L8 and the banner is on the ballustrade in front of the concrete that leads to the stairs to the concourse

i've sat in L7 for 3 years now, they stand all game in L8 but not in L7, I've moved to the back row so that i can, there are usually 2 stewards at the top of those stairs and they are sound

Stick em in the upper trinity, the holte end don't need no help, other than some effort from the players. West Brom games were great atmosphere, The first game especially,seeing a thousand fans run back into the holte falling over each other to celebrate was a bit special UTV

pretty much all of the top half of L8, not sure where they are in L7

they moved lower down for the FA cup game, you can see where it is from the picture, thats the steps between L7/L8 and the banner is on the ballustrade in front of the concrete that leads to the stairs to the concourse

i've sat in L7 for 3 years now, they stand all game in L8 but not in L7, I've moved to the back row so that i can, there are usually 2 stewards at the top of those stairs and they are sound

My season ticket was in L7, HH but I've been a bit of a slapper this season and moved around. Went back to my old seats for the cup game and the atmosphere there was great, obviously enhanced by the occasion. Hoping the standing can spread into that section too.

Hope they don't call it "singing section" doesn't work anyway and is very small time and could be insulting to the rest of the Holte.. Although a relaxation on the flags etc that Brigada (and the rest of The Holte) can bring in is welcome.

Hope they don't call it "singing section" doesn't work anyway and is very small time and could be insulting to the rest of the Holte.. Although a relaxation on the flags etc that Brigada (and the rest of The Holte) can bring in is welcome.

What should they call it?

A little bit different but England have tried calling one end of Wembley the 'singing section' and I think it is the 'home end' now but the problem is that people go there on mass expecting an atmosphere rather than realising they actually have to do it themselves.

call it "The Temper"

Sir Thomas Holte was apparently known for being an angry so and so. 

and when you get angry people generally shout and get all loud and stompy. 

So that would be my name for it "The Temper of the Holte End"

Not loving this one bit I sit in L7 and I'm all up for the singing but these guys wave flags almost all the game and can get way ott, we relocated for the Leicester fa cup game and ended up directly behind this group not only was the flags annoying but the 2 guys in front of us were probably 6'8ft so our view was flags and the back of their heads. We ended up moving with in 5 mins loads of people in the area were clearly moaning about it. Most of all I don't want a drum bashing my ears in all game

Â