Rushian Hepburn-Murphy

PieFacE

32 minutes ago, Hitzlsperger_12 said:

Hard to judge him on last night I thought, the service to him was all wrong for the type of striker he is. Put Grealish, McGinn behind him and it's a different ball game imo.

Did he come on as sub to that set up v Wigan ?  - whilst he did ok there was nothing that made me scream 'that guy must start the next match' 

Edited by hippo

9 minutes ago, hippo said:

Did he come on as sub to that set up v Wigan ?  - whilst he did ok there was nothing that made me scream 'that guy must start the next match' 

agree with this. he should not be starting games for us.

Now I have issues in that Bruce set RHM up to fail last night. Playing him as a lone target man is never going to allow RHM to show off his talents. Maybe if we linked midfield to wingers and forwards playing good football and high pressure yes. But not simply lumping balls to him against two huge lumps.

So not going to read too much into what was a totally ineffectual display.

However what I will say is I don't have the hopes for RHM as many on here, he seems to be highly hyped and rated by alot of fans but I just haven't seen it. I watched loads of previous youth players such as Moore's, vassell, agbonlahor, delfoneso all of whom looked better than RHM at under 23 level. None of those pulled up any trees apart from early Gabby. And they all had more physicality about them.

For me Keinan Davis is still the go to striker from the youth setup

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ramshackler said:

I watched loads of previous youth players such as Moore's, vassell, agbonlahor, delfoneso all of whom looked better than RHM at under 23 level.

Unfair baseline; Ethan was Messi/Ronaldo/Puskas/Thanos rolled into one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We seem to have this debate every time a young striker comes through, we had it with Gabby, Delfouneso, Luke Moore. I always get carried away with their exploits at youth and reserve level but the first team is a different ball game altogether. For me, Hepburn-Murphy is the one the club have high hopes for but at the same time, we don’t want to put too much pressure on him. He is an outstanding football talent, he has great ability, he just needs a run of game so he can adapt to first team football. Not only that, he’s a very nice, well mannered, funny guy too. He’s been on a contract since he was 13 years old, the club obviously have very high hopes for him as I do, let’s just wait and see, judge him after he’s a run of games in the first team, hopefully it comes now

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

We seem to have this debate every time a young striker comes through, we had it with Gabby, Delfouneso, Luke Moore. I always get carried away with their exploits at youth and reserve level but the first team is a different ball game altogether. For me, Hepburn-Murphy is the one the club have high hopes for but at the same time, we don’t want to put too much pressure on him. He is an outstanding football talent, he has great ability, he just needs a run of game so he can adapt to first team football. Not only that, he’s a very nice, well mannered, funny guy too. He’s been on a contract since he was 13 years old, the club obviously have very high hopes for him as I do, let’s just wait and see, judge him after he’s a run of games in the first team, hopefully it comes now

If you look at the stats for most young forwards, they don't usually become regular scorers until they have a couple of seasons under their belt. Obviously you get the exceptions like Owen who burst on the scene and score goals instantly, they are the exeption and happen to be playing with teams that create better opportunities than we do.

I also think a young player only gains the confidence when he knows he has the trust of the manager and crowd. This is why I always think for youngsters like RHM they might be better served playing regularly on loan somewhere first to build some confidence, rather than being thrown into the cauldron at VP where instant success is required because we all want promotion/win a cup/qualify for Europe/avoid relegation*.

* delete as appropriate.

• Like 1

It must have been frustrating for him last night. Not only were we playing long balls to him every chance we got, we were also complete garbage in the first half. He had one okay chance which he unfortunately missed. Grealish and Kodjia came on, and suddenly we were a lot better. Grealish is able to hold onto the ball and doesn't panic under pressure, and Kodjia is actually able to control long balls. The game was not suited to Murphey at all. 

I still like him as a sub in championship matches. He is able to exploit the space defenses and midfielders leave when the opposing team tries to tie it up. Hopefully he will get a goal soon. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NeilS said:

If you look at the stats for most young forwards, they don't usually become regular scorers until they have a couple of seasons under their belt. Obviously you get the exceptions like Owen who burst on the scene and score goals instantly, they are the exeption and happen to be playing with teams that create better opportunities than we do.

I also think a young player only gains the confidence when he knows he has the trust of the manager and crowd. This is why I always think for youngsters like RHM they might be better served playing regularly on loan somewhere first to build some confidence, rather than being thrown into the cauldron at VP where instant success is required because we all want promotion/win a cup/qualify for Europe/avoid relegation*.

* delete as appropriate.

I think you are correct, he just needs to get his first goal for us, he needs one to just bobble in off his knee and then he’ll go on a run for us. He’s a goalscorer, great finisher but also has the all round game in my opinion. He is an outstanding football talent, hopefully he gets a chance in the league now

27 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think you are correct, he just needs to get his first goal for us, he needs one to just bobble in off his knee and then he’ll go on a run for us. He’s a goalscorer, great finisher but also has the all round game in my opinion. He is an outstanding football talent, hopefully he gets a chance in the league now

From the brief cameo we saw of him against Wigan he impressed Me and my Dad, we both thought he looked very lively when he came on with a good turn of pace. It looked for a second that he was going to get a chance late on, but the defender slid in to clear the danger. I think that is the main difference between U23 and competitive football, you just have less time, so it is a case of adjusting to that and learning how to deal with that. Fingers crossed he gets that first goal soon for us soon as I would love RHM to help solve our striker problems, same goes for Jimmy I think he needs a goal as well.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ramshackler said:

Now I have issues in that Bruce set RHM up to fail last night. Playing him as a lone target man is never going to allow RHM to show off his talents. Maybe if we linked midfield to wingers and forwards playing good football and high pressure yes. But not simply lumping balls to him against two huge lumps.

So not going to read too much into what was a totally ineffectual display.

However what I will say is I don't have the hopes for RHM as many on here, he seems to be highly hyped and rated by alot of fans but I just haven't seen it. I watched loads of previous youth players such as Moore's, vassell, agbonlahor, delfoneso all of whom looked better than RHM at under 23 level. None of those pulled up any trees apart from early Gabby. And they all had more physicality about them.

For me Keinan Davis is still the go to striker from the youth setup

I think you have some very astute observations. One of my many (and I’m sure endless to some) complaints about Bruce is that his tactics never seem to match the personnel.  Playing long ball to hold and bring other into play is fine with Davis, but it’s inane if RHM is up top and to a lesser extent Kodjia.

but heres my question for you.  Would you have more hope the RHM if we played a style with quick passes on the ground? (Which is what our U-23’s play when I have see them)

my suspicion is that you don’t see hope in RHM partly because Bruce doesn’t play a style that suits him.  

I think he should be fased in as a wide forward, playing him as the lone striker is unfair to him at this level if we dont play a tikka takka passing style, which we wont be doing. He is too short and too weak to be a target player and play on his own. As a wide forward I think he can be an instant hit with his pace and trickery. 

• Like 1

This kid has got serious talent. He is easily the best of our young players (in my opinion of course). He could do some real damage at this level............now! Only two caveats; he must be played in a team that suits his style of play and he must stay fit! 

Harsh on the youngster. He was shite but so was the whole team. He barely got given any decent ball and they took him off when Grealish came on. Looked quite sharp in the two games off the bench in the Championship. 

What we do know.. he cant play the lone striker on his own yet. I think hes more of a wide forward. Same with Kodjia actually. 

9 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I think he should be fased in as a wide forward, playing him as the lone striker is unfair to him at this level if we dont play a tikka takka passing style, which we wont be doing. He is too short and too weak to be a target player and play on his own. As a wide forward I think he can be an instant hit with his pace and trickery. 

Agree 100%. He's not able to lead the line on his own and never will be. If he's going to play then it's for Green/Adomah/Elmo/etc., he should not going to come instead of Codger or Hogan.

Â