Pre-Match Thread

samjp26

4 wins and a million draws. Let's get 1 or 2 and hold these bastards tight. They lack both movement and AJ. If we hold Defoe we should be fine. Pace is on our side too. I think we've got a good shot at this one.

Dunno about the rest of the lineup, but I hope we again see this ...

Given

N'Zogbia  Agbonlahor  Sinclair 

That's an odd choice for three at the back, but certainly shows attacking intent!

;)

(In  seriousness, that's the attacking combination I'd like to see as well, probably ahead of Westwood, Delp and Cleverley on current form. Perhaps Zog and Sinclair alternating at the tip of the diamond/playing off Gabby... or something... 4-4-bastard-2... what the hell do I know anyway...)

• Like 1

Think everybody is a bit 'over confident' with this. It is good we have a bit of belief back but we are talking about two narrow wins here; one out of sheer stupidity from a goalkeeper, and one due to woeful finishing from the other side and arguably some laughable refereeing. Taken nothing from the lads, they have installed a bit of passion back into myself and by the sounds of it, a lot of others. However, for parts of both games we were once again, pretty awful. 

Need to be careful and keep both feet on the ground.

Two teams as dire as one another, 1-1 (which I will gladly take at this stage).

I can't believe after the last few months that I'm in a position to say this but... We should have the edge to win the next game.

2 on the trot, the confidence looks back, the smiles are back and we're playing football again! Sunderland just can't get going. Let's keep this snowball going and smash and grab as many points as we can.

I want 3, but I won't be angry with 1.

selection dilemma, do we bring in Benteke?

Resounding yes from me. Pick the best team to go and win the game, given the age of 3 of sunderlands likely back 4 - riviere 35, o'shea 33 brown 35, no pace at all there and with gabby running onto benteke flick ons like in the Wba game on tuesday we can really cause them problems

They will be without cattermole, giacharini and Johnson

If we're staying up these are the games we should be winning, they are 1 point above us. They will be saying the same thing but a defeat to these and ill be depressed again

Edited by Jimzk5

Haven't paid much attention to Sland this season, but was reading RTG earlier and notice their fans complaining about Poyet's tendency to sit back and hold a deep line in front of their own box. They're understandably frustrated by this, but it is the sort of approach that has given us problems in breaking teams down in recent seasons.

Be interesting to see if this is the case how Sherwood sets the team up and how effective we can now be against this opposition approach. Might not be much space for Gabby behind the defence.

I'm not too worried about them hitting us on the counter in terms of pace, but they do have a lot of height in their team so I worry a bit about set pieces since we do seem weak defending these against the aerial threat.

• Like 1

Sunderland are possibly the only team in the league who have been more utterly mind numbingly dreadful than us this season (pre-Sherwood that is)

We've picked up and they haven't, plus they've lost one of their best players.

We should be winning this.

Think everybody is a bit 'over confident' with this. It is good we have a bit of belief back but we are talking about two narrow wins here; one out of sheer stupidity from a goalkeeper, and one due to woeful finishing from the other side and arguably some laughable refereeing. Taken nothing from the lads, they have installed a bit of passion back into myself and by the sounds of it, a lot of others. However, for parts of both games we were once again, pretty awful. 

Need to be careful and keep both feet on the ground.

Two teams as dire as one another, 1-1 (which I will gladly take at this stage).

I think you are being very unfair here. You're implying we were just lucky to win those matches. By the same token you must agree that we were unlucky to lose the match against Stoke?

The league game against WBA we were certainly lucky to get that penalty at the very end but we had been the much better side and should have been up by two goals by then. The cup match was no luck and there is no way anyone can blame the ref (even though he was dreadful). We were poor in the first half (not awful IMO) but we were fantastic in the second half.

I think we owe it to ourselves, after all our misery in the past, to be a bit optimistic and confident.